Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7480 7481 [7482] 7483 7484 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14486594 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112215 on: October 29, 2016, 02:20:12 pm »

Gotta wonder with all the 'd and 's you see around whether the old angles had intended words normally to have an enunciated "ed", or just Theatre People.

You wrote? I like.
Thanks friend. Personally the repeated words are becoming more and more glaringly obvious to me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:22:26 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112216 on: October 29, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

We praise the singer of the song
Who lifts a crowd from fears.
But the poet, him we do wrong
To leave with naught but tears.

For magic prances on the chords
Of music sung and danced,
But those of spoken word are lords
Though he leave few entranced.

And of that art there is one form
Enables us to see -
Bardic metre, that leaves a storm
Known here as poetry.

[/quick + low quality divergence.]

Gotta wonder with all the 'd and 's you see around whether the old angles had intended words normally to have an enunciated "ed", or just Theatre People.

You wrote? I like.
Thanks friend. Personally the repeated words are becoming more and more glaringly obvious to me.
Only one problem for me, and that's the first stanza. On my read through I stumbled on it, and subsequent to it as well. This line, I think?
Whence though doth the gorged sky
. Other than that, I don't care about repeated words. People have always drummed into me never to repeat words if possible, but I love doing it sometimes. It makes it all hang together better, and gives a common link IMO.

Of course, that's just one opinion.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112217 on: October 29, 2016, 02:54:21 pm »

Yeah, I remember noticing that. The breakthrough for me was the sight of a MG gunner back - I have stared at that shit whilist Blitzkrieging too much, so for me it was more "FEUER AUF MEIN KOMMANDO!", "SPRENGGRANATE LADEN!" or "SHEIßE, MEIN BEIN!" I was only made sure by the sight of Russian PTRD gunner with a fucking broom on his back while carrying PPSH in hands. Only Men Of War has it this ridiculous.

SPRENGGRANATEN LADDEN is what I shout when I shove roasts in the oven, or rubbish down the chute, or every chance I can. Thanks a lot, Men of War.

Post some polish poetry.  We must see this example.

Poetry is what people do when they arent getting bashed by the Russians or nommed by the Germans, fyi

Or, you write poetry about that time you got bashed by the Russians, like Johan Runeberg. Sure, we lost Finland, but we got Tales of Ensign Steel. Decent trade, all in all.

Best part is that those poems aren't even very hateful to the Russians, a lot of them are even written in admiration for them, as a worthy, upstanding foe. The only real hatred in that book is directed at the man who betrayed Sveaborg fortress.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112218 on: October 29, 2016, 03:08:31 pm »

Poetry is what people do when they arent getting bashed by the Russians or nommed by the Germans, fyi

Or, you write poetry about that time you got bashed by the Russians, like Johan Runeberg. Sure, we lost Finland, but we got Tales of Ensign Steel. Decent trade, all in all.

Best part is that those poems aren't even very hateful to the Russians, a lot of them are even written in admiration for them, as a worthy, upstanding foe. The only real hatred in that book is directed at the man who betrayed Sveaborg fortress.

I had no Swedes considered Runeberg a Swedish poet, considering he's, y'know, a national poet of Finland and an important figure in the growth of a Finnish national identity. I'm assuming you're Swedish, anyway, given the 'we lost Finland' bit.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112219 on: October 29, 2016, 03:09:32 pm »

So what's the most any two hostile forces have ever admired eachother?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112220 on: October 29, 2016, 03:11:06 pm »

Greece, getting invaded by Rome

Admiration was mostly one-sided, with Greece being Rome's waifu

Eventually upgraded to mutual tsundere

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112221 on: October 29, 2016, 03:29:04 pm »

I had no Swedes considered Runeberg a Swedish poet, considering he's, y'know, a national poet of Finland and an important figure in the growth of a Finnish national identity. I'm assuming you're Swedish, anyway, given the 'we lost Finland' bit.

Well, true, he's Finnish, but up until the 1809 war, the difference between Sweden and Finland was quite slim, after all. I think he's mainly considered a joint-Swedish/Finnish (but mostly Finnish) poet, since he wrote his works in Swedish and because the two cultures were (and are, in my mind) very similar. He is a Finnish poet, of course, if it comes down to a question of what precisly belongs to who. I don't think anyone will contest that. He made a big splash on both sides of the sea, that's for certain.

I still think the anthem he wrote (Maani in Finnish, is it? I think that, at least) is possibly the best anthem in the world.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112222 on: October 29, 2016, 03:29:18 pm »

Uh huh.
Was no hugpats when people were getting their circles disturbed.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112223 on: October 29, 2016, 03:39:22 pm »

Well, true, he's Finnish, but up until the 1809 war, the difference between Sweden and Finland was quite slim, after all. I think he's mainly considered a joint-Swedish/Finnish (but mostly Finnish) poet, since he wrote his works in Swedish and because the two cultures were (and are, in my mind) very similar. He is a Finnish poet, of course, if it comes down to a question of what precisly belongs to who. I don't think anyone will contest that. He made a big splash on both sides of the sea, that's for certain.

I still think the anthem he wrote (Maani in Finnish, is it? I think that, at least) is possibly the best anthem in the world.

That makes sense, sure. He was born in Sweden, too, though he lived most of his life in Finland. And it's Maamme (Our Land, whereas Maani would be My Land, so you were close), though personally I prefer Sibelius' Finlandia Hymn. Probably because of the lyrics. It's all very defiant and hopeful and bombastic (especially together with the full symphony).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112224 on: October 29, 2016, 03:42:58 pm »

Greece, getting invaded by Rome

Admiration was mostly one-sided, with Greece being Rome's waifu

Eventually upgraded to mutual tsundere
Ey up? What about Carthage and Rome. Rome likes to brag about how they won, true, but... I think it was Virgil? spoke of them as the only truly worthwhile foe they've had.

Granted, I'm biased in this regard because I idolise Hannibal. The gluten-and-human-flesh-free one. Assuming you don't ask what they ate on their way through the alps.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112225 on: October 29, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »

Ey up? What about Carthage and Rome. Rome likes to brag about how they won, true, but... I think it was Virgil? spoke of them as the only truly worthwhile foe they've had.

Granted, I'm biased in this regard because I idolise Hannibal. The gluten-and-human-flesh-free one. Assuming you don't ask what they ate on their way through the alps.
A respected foe is not the same as an admired foe

Lots of foes throughout history have respected one another immensely, admiration on the other hand is a great deal more rare

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #112226 on: October 29, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »

The question then becomes what is the most any two hostile forces have ever respected each other?

Other than, like, a duel.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112227 on: October 29, 2016, 03:49:35 pm »

That makes sense, sure. He was born in Sweden, too, though he lived most of his life in Finland. And it's Maamme (Our Land, whereas Maani would be My Land, so you were close), though personally I prefer Sibelius' Finlandia Hymn. Probably because of the lyrics. It's all very defiant and hopeful and bombastic (especially together with the full symphony).

That's true, I love that one too. But hell, Sibelius, it's difficult not to adore his work. I caught a big concert with various Sibelius pieces in the park, once. It was absolutely fantastic.

I've never been to Finland, but I'd love to once. It's a fascinating place, it feels both like home and away at the same time, if that makes any sense. Even though I've heard wolf and bear alike can smell the hated Geatish blood from ten thousand paces.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112228 on: October 29, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »

The question then becomes what is the most any two hostile forces have ever respected each other?
The Australians and the Emu.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112229 on: October 29, 2016, 04:00:09 pm »

Other than, like, a duel.
WWI central powers and triple entente playing footie on Christmas day above the trenches
Pages: 1 ... 7480 7481 [7482] 7483 7484 ... 11037