Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7463 7464 [7465] 7466 7467 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485188 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111960 on: October 27, 2016, 05:39:41 pm »

Are you kidding me? Blackmarsh is a land of bayou and near-alien lifeforms (because some of them really are aliens). The Empire barely ever had control over it, to the extent that when the collapse started Blackmarsh just sort of left without any difficulty. Life is centered around the vast unfathomable Hist trees, beyond mortals in both mind and body. Disease is everywhere for non-Argonians, and things lurk between the water and trees found nowhere else.
So... regular grim European fantasy marsh (I mean like the things from the old, "medieval" children stories) with bunch of Native Americas mixed in? :P
THE DURKEST CORNERS WE SIIK
It's kind of justified in this case, the Argonians are artificial life. The Hist can make them however, best to emulate the local mammals.
I belive it was something along the lines that the Khajit were the other original inhabitants of Tamriel so the Hist emulated them.
IN DE NIGT
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111961 on: October 27, 2016, 05:45:16 pm »

There's zero evidence of Akavir, most evidence seems to point towards Valenwood, Akavir is probably somewhere they'll never go.

Well, shit, that's a shame. And oh, boy, Bosmer land. My least favourite type of elf-land. It's mainly this guy's fault, however.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That said, there's probably more than enough nice details to wring out of that location. It's certainly alien enough to be a nice routine change.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111962 on: October 27, 2016, 05:46:27 pm »

Yeah, though my first vote is for Elsweyr, I'd be fine with Blackmarsh as well (lightning lizards, bayous and alien trees!). Either way I'd be banking on Bethesda being able to pull of that Morrowind feel again, where imperial forts and towns felt very much like an intrusion on an otherwise strange and exotic landscape. So... probably GC's right and it's too much to hope for >_<

My one argument for Elsweyr over Blackmarsh is story-wise: in Skyrim there's mention of the Moons disappearing for a year and the effect it had on the Khajiit, but from an earlier lore-book:
And Fadomai said, "The Khajiit must be the best climbers, for if Masser and Secunda fail, they must climb Khenarthi's breath to set the moons back in their courses."
...so I want to play the game where you literally climb the sky to rebuild the Lunar Lattice. I want it.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111963 on: October 27, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »

Valenwood
I will leave none alive. I'll download mods to remove essential flags and kill them all.

That said, using "signs" to determine the next Elder Scrolls has never been a meaningful thing. Morrowind hinted at Skyrim and Oblivion hinted at the Summerset Isles.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111964 on: October 27, 2016, 05:49:56 pm »

WILD HUNT

What does the adoring fan have to do with it ???
Isn't he an altmer?

There's zero evidence of Akavir, most evidence seems to point towards Valenwood, Akavir is probably somewhere they'll never go.
I am so down with this.  Wild hunt, vertical Endor-like tree-cities, dietary restrictions...  I've always been a Bosmer fan.

That Elsweyr sounds really fun too, though (love that there's a Bosmer strain of Khajiit).  Blackmarsh...  I prefer my wilderness dry!  Marsh and lizards are icky (Hist are cool though).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111965 on: October 27, 2016, 05:56:07 pm »

Oh, I really want to go Incredible Puss in Boots to the moons... That'd be fantastic. Killing gods, breaking into afterlives.. Naws. But I've got moons to set right. Here, hold my cheeses.

If we're stuck with Valenwood, I do hope there's an option to work with the Thalmor.

About the fan; far as I know, he's a Bosmer. With a really hideous Jimmy Neutron haircut, for reasons best known to himself. I abandoned him in a particularly nasty pocket of Oblivion. Good riddance. Although I worry he's been made a Daedra lord and is preparing to avenge himself upon Mundus.

Edit: UESP-wiki confirms it, it's a Bosmer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:58:49 pm by Silverthrone »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #111966 on: October 27, 2016, 05:57:07 pm »

Bosmer land is okay as long as we get Khajit Guerilla like in that series of books that have been in since like Morrowind. HOUSECAT MAGES!

...so I want to play the game where you literally climb the sky to rebuild the Lunar Lattice. I want it.
CAT SPACESHIPS! KHAJIT CAN INTO SPACE! KHAJIT LIKE TO SNEK
Like seriously imagine Spelljammer space sailboats with Khajit tearing through the Mundus, fighting off Daedra or someshit and getting the Moons back where they belong. All while they're Middle Eastern so it's like FUCKING SPACE CAT SINBAD.

Isn't he an altmer?
With that size and haircut? Only treefuckers are like this.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111967 on: October 27, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »

I'm a bit late for the Lovecraft discussion, but if you want to read the kind of thing that influenced Lovecraft, I recommend 'The Willows' by Algernon Blackwood. Not only does he have a fantastic name for a horror author, it is an extremely creepy story that made me feel claustrophobic under an open sky. Stuck with me more than the (admittedly few) Lovecraft stories I've read.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111968 on: October 27, 2016, 06:00:13 pm »

Isn't valewood just your average fantasy elf forest kind of place? Like, bluh.

Akavir is the way to go since it gets mentioned so many times and we never get to see it, and it has tons of lore attached to it. Pulling it off wouldn't be easy, but if they suceed it'd prob result in a morrowind kind of achievement. Elsewyr is just full of furries I'd be ok with stabbing, so I'm ok with that. Blackmarch would be a good way to pull kind of an alien-ish landscape like it was done in morrowind.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #111969 on: October 27, 2016, 06:04:34 pm »

They absolutely never can go to Akavir. A lot of the locations like Blackmarsh and Elsewyr are very obviously filled with stuff that's supposed to keep them mysterious and exotic. Akavir is the outright most strange and exotic, it's the sorta gigantic here be dragons stamp.

They aren't going to remove that stamp, even if they normalize and reveal the rest of Tamriel.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111970 on: October 27, 2016, 06:04:59 pm »

Here's a link to a good video explaining why skyrim is being remastered. It's a bit rambly but it explains a fair bit.

To those who don't want to watch the video:

In a nutshell, while they were developing fallout 4 they wanted to test the new engine by porting skyrim to it. This port is what they are selling us, although I'm certain they've made some improvements since then.
so you get to pay a steep price for a  .... test from them?  gtfo.  They can test it for free.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111971 on: October 27, 2016, 06:07:16 pm »

I'd accept some gameplay in Akavir, but not a whole game. Have a DLC where you ape Tiber Septim and go on an expedition to the future world.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111972 on: October 27, 2016, 06:10:37 pm »

Bosmer land is okay as long as we get Khajit Guerilla like in that series of books that have been in since like Morrowind. HOUSECAT MAGES!

CAT SPACESHIPS! KHAJIT CAN INTO SPACE! KHAJIT LIKE TO SNEK
Like seriously imagine Spelljammer space sailboats with Khajit tearing through the Mundus, fighting off Daedra or someshit and getting the Moons back where they belong. All while they're Middle Eastern so it's like FUCKING SPACE CAT SINBAD.

Isn't he an altmer?
With that size and haircut? Only treefuckers are like this.

Oh, hell, yes. Spess fantasy. Spess cats. Cats on void boats. Yeeees... Crash into Daedric realms and steal 'em blind. Transcendant, interdimensional void corsairs. That are also cats.

If nothing else, I need to get that Aurora 4X campaign going sometime.

I'm a bit late for the Lovecraft discussion, but if you want to read the kind of thing that influenced Lovecraft, I recommend 'The Willows' by Algernon Blackwood. Not only does he have a fantastic name for a horror author, it is an extremely creepy story that made me feel claustrophobic under an open sky. Stuck with me more than the (admittedly few) Lovecraft stories I've read.

Worth a go. Horror stories are usually intriguing, but it's difficult to find one that's scary-scary, as it were.

Akavir is the way to go since it gets mentioned so many times and we never get to see it, and it has tons of lore attached to it. Pulling it off wouldn't be easy, but if they suceed it'd prob result in a morrowind kind of achievement. Elsewyr is just full of furries I'd be ok with stabbing, so I'm ok with that. Blackmarch would be a good way to pull kind of an alien-ish landscape like it was done in morrowind.

Now that you mention it, I think individual furfriendery on my part might be another reason why I'm so sold on Elsweyr. Hell, having not just one but two reasonably fleshed out playable anthro races was one of the reason why I got into the Elder Scrolls series in the beginning.

I'd accept some gameplay in Akavir, but not a whole game. Have a DLC where you ape Tiber Septim and go on an expedition to the future world.

That'd be fun, helping to establish a new colony and exploring a new old land. It'd work well with a Heartfire-esque settlement management vibe. I'd love to have a fief in the new world...

(Even better, but obviously not happening, a brief DLC where you magic-warp into the Fallout wasteland.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111973 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:08 pm »

average fantasy elf forest full of carnivorous cannibal elves

So not necessarily. Could be closer to darksun halfling territory, which is "just" a jungle full of relatively short people that think you're food.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111974 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »

Oh hell no, there's no such thing as colonizing Akavir. For one thing, it's already inhabited and the inhabitants are quite a bit more powerful than anything in Tamriel.

That reminds me, the one big thing I don't want in any Elder Scrolls games is for them to be tainted and inhabited by Fallout 4's bullshit boring construction system or fucking "radiant quests".

No. God no.

Or microtransactions, but that goes without saying.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:16:59 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7463 7464 [7465] 7466 7467 ... 11037