Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7462 7463 [7464] 7465 7466 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485839 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111945 on: October 27, 2016, 04:42:51 pm »

People sorta do go snap-crazy in his stories sometimes, although it's often with at least some underlying reason. The main character from Rats in the Walls does it in the grotto. One of the sailors in Call of Cthulhu goes insane at the sight of Cthulhu chasing them. It's not as like, memetastically common as it is in some referential works/pop culture, but it's also certainly a lot more common then "virtually nobody"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111946 on: October 27, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »

The insanity in Lovecraft is usually along the lines of "frenzied panic" rather than "permanently shattered". Rats in the Walls is an exception, but I think a fair one given the whole story is about a man's descent into madness.

Then there's Shadow over Innsmouth, where the protagonist actually gets mentally healthier as the story goes on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111947 on: October 27, 2016, 04:56:48 pm »

I really need to get around to actually reading Lovecraft's work. I have a collection of his work, I have no excuse.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #111948 on: October 27, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »

In response to the The Elder Scrolls discussion from a while back - yes it's time for exotic province.
It should totally be Elsweyr. It should have always been. Elsweyr is the best province.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111949 on: October 27, 2016, 05:08:50 pm »

People sorta do go snap-crazy in his stories sometimes, although it's often with at least some underlying reason. The main character from Rats in the Walls does it in the grotto. One of the sailors in Call of Cthulhu goes insane at the sight of Cthulhu chasing them. It's not as like, memetastically common as it is in some referential works/pop culture, but it's also certainly a lot more common then "virtually nobody"

It's what happen with tropes from influential works, I suppose. Like poor old Don Quijote, it's all about those windmills with him. But then again, all the goodies outweighs the drawbacks. Even if the original nuances fades a bit in favour of the big strokes. Hell, C'thun wasn't the slightest bit scary or psycologically confrontational, but he was a damn neat raid boss.

The insanity in Lovecraft is usually along the lines of "frenzied panic" rather than "permanently shattered". Rats in the Walls is an exception, but I think a fair one given the whole story is about a man's descent into madness.

Then there's Shadow over Innsmouth, where the protagonist actually gets mentally healthier as the story goes on.

I liked that. No reason to lose hope just because you've got fishfolk in the family. It's not the end of the world. It's like that other story, about a kid abandoned in a ruined castle, and one day finds a way to escape. Even if it didn't turn out the way he'd expected, it's still a pretty little story.

In response to the The Elder Scrolls discussion from a while back - yes it's time for exotic province.
It should totally be Elsweyr. It should have always been. Elsweyr is the best province.

Oh, hell, yes. A good second choice to Akavir. Elsweyr seems very fascinating, makes me think of Persia, maybe India. Mixed with all that delightful Khajiiti oddity. And as much as I love my forests, I'm always up for a nice desert, with some tropical jungle for trimmings. Also Khajiit. Khajiit is best.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111950 on: October 27, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »

Damn you people, I'm never going to get TES: Blackmarsh at this rate. Give me the transhumanist lizard aliens!

*sigh*...at least if it's Elsweyr I can drown my sorrow in uncut skooma.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111951 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:02 pm »

I really need to get around to actually reading Lovecraft's work. I have a collection of his work, I have no excuse.
You should! They're seminal works, so beyond their own value you're getting a different perspective on anyone who was ever influenced by 'em. Also, I should add: not just horror-type stuff, but standard fantasy as well. His Dreamlands stories like 'Ex Oblivione' and 'The Cats of Ulthar' are pretty darn good.

Yes. This cat will be the Purr of Lorkhaj. This cat will eat all the Moon Sugar and climb the Lunar Lattice, because why not?
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111952 on: October 27, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »

Here's a link to a good video explaining why skyrim is being remastered. It's a bit rambly but it explains a fair bit.

To those who don't want to watch the video:

In a nutshell, while they were developing fallout 4 they wanted to test the new engine by porting skyrim to it. This port is what they are selling us, although I'm certain they've made some improvements since then.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #111953 on: October 27, 2016, 05:25:16 pm »

Black Marsh is... regular grim European fantasy Marsh with bunch of Native Americas and few other things thrown in while Elsweyr is PERSIAN INDIA, CATS, DRUGS, SIXTEEN DIFFERENT BREEDS OF KHAJIIT AND THEN THERE'S THE MANE. I mean look at the name. Elsweyr is literally Elsewhere. Khajiit civilizations existed way before anyone else.
KHAJIT LIKE TO SNEK
Also, remember that if we get hot, hot deserts that means more bikinis!

Yes. This cat will be the Purr of Lorkhaj. This cat will eat all the Moon Sugar and climb the Lunar Lattice, because why not?
They should totally have an huge tower serving as a tavern, even higher than the White Gold Tower and call it Purr Lorkhaj.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #111954 on: October 27, 2016, 05:29:57 pm »

Honestly, we're never gonna get those really exotic provinces in future TES games. And you don't want them anyway. Because if you do get them they're going to be made more standard/usual instead of anything we've heard about.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #111955 on: October 27, 2016, 05:31:36 pm »

They pulled it off with Morrowind. I belive that it wouldn't be really that hard, and there is always some "usuality" in every province thanks to the Empire influence. My main concern would be how they would solve the whole 16 different subraces thing with Khajit. MANUVA SILKEN AND SLEEK

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111956 on: October 27, 2016, 05:33:03 pm »

Black Marsh is... regular grim European fantasy Marsh with bunch of Native Americas and few other things thrown in while Elsweyr is PERSIAN INDIA, CATS, DRUGS, SIXTEEN DIFFERENT BREEDS OF KHAJIIT AND THEN THERE'S THE MANE. I mean look at the name. Elsweyr is literally Elsewhere. Khajiit civilizations existed way before anyone else.
KHAJIT LIKE TO SNEK
Are you kidding me? Blackmarsh is a land of bayou and near-alien lifeforms (because some of them really are aliens). The Empire barely ever had control over it, to the extent that when the collapse started Blackmarsh just sort of left without any difficulty. Life is centered around the vast unfathomable Hist trees, beyond mortals in both mind and body. Disease is everywhere for non-Argonians, and things lurk between the water and trees found nowhere else.

Yet despite this, entire cities are somehow kept above ground for the sake of Argonia. It's an endless struggle against a wilderness that the Argonians themselves are inexorably drawn to. They're not quite a hive mind, but not quite free willed either.

Oh yeah, and they have a flying obsidian fortress that shoots laser cannons at Dunmer. That's a selling point.
Honestly, we're never gonna get those really exotic provinces in future TES games. And you don't want them anyway. Because if you do get them they're going to be made more standard/usual instead of anything we've heard about.
Why must you kill my dreams?
No Gods, No Masters.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111957 on: October 27, 2016, 05:33:40 pm »

Damn you people, I'm never going to get TES: Blackmarsh at this rate. Give me the transhumanist lizard aliens!

*sigh*...at least if it's Elsweyr I can drown my sorrow in uncut skooma.

Another for Blackmarsh! One day... The snekfolk are definately my second favourite.  They're very cool, and water breathing, yes, please!

Another thing I like:
People: "Wut. Why do the female Argonian have breasts?! It doesn't make any sense!"
Bethesda: "Because it's sexy, that's why! You take a look at 'em and tell us where they ever made any sense to begin with."

Elder Scrolls biology is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

KHAJIT LIKE TO SNEK

They should totally have an huge tower serving as a tavern, even higher than the White Gold Tower and call it Purr Lorkhaj.

As far as we know now, yes. Black Marsh is big, impenetrable and full of secrets. Them snek folks be hidin' somethin' in there, and I bet it's something really cool. But hell yes, am I on board with Elsweyr, particularly that version. Soft divans, sweet wine mixed with moon sugars, silk as thin as air...

Always the downside with doing that sort of thing, there's always going to be something that isn't as cool as you imagined it would be. It's a risk, but I'm alright with taking it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111958 on: October 27, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »

Another thing I like:
People: "Wut. Why do the female Argonian have breasts?! It doesn't make any sense!"
Bethesda: "Because it's sexy, that's why! You take a look at 'em and tell us where they ever made any sense to begin with."

Elder Scrolls biology is a wonderful, wonderful thing.
It's kind of justified in this case, the Argonians are artificial life. The Hist can make them however, best to emulate the local mammals.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111959 on: October 27, 2016, 05:39:09 pm »

There's zero evidence of Akavir, most evidence seems to point towards Valenwood, Akavir is probably somewhere they'll never go.
Pages: 1 ... 7462 7463 [7464] 7465 7466 ... 11037