Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7458 7459 [7460] 7461 7462 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14487716 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111885 on: October 27, 2016, 02:17:20 pm »

He did get muted once a while back

Ah. I didn't notice. Well. Rip in peaces then. He must have known what he was doing wasn't acceptable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111886 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:25 pm »

Banning politics would be an altogether more serious move than the MLP and NMS bans. Those two are specific works of media, that like all media will have a heyday and a waning. Politics is forever, so once excluded it becomes a constant thing to suppress. Forums that ban political discussions tend to need heavy moderation because everybody always wants to talk about it.

Like, not having a Rage Thread is less constant of a thing than no politics would be. Hell, why would GD even exist at that point? We're already kind of reductionist with Sad and Happy Threads.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111887 on: October 27, 2016, 02:20:21 pm »

He did get muted once a while back

Ah. I didn't notice. Well. Rip in peaces then. He must have known what he was doing wasn't acceptable.

Didn't notice that either (hence my request on infraction history, which Toady One doesn't need to respond to now though).

Banning politics would be an altogether more serious move than the MLP and NMS bans. Those two are specific works of media, that like all media will have a heyday and a waning. Politics is forever, so once excluded it becomes a constant thing to suppress. Forums that ban political discussions tend to need heavy moderation because everybody always wants to talk about it.

Like, not having a Rage Thread is less constant of a thing than no politics would be. Hell, why would GD even exist at that point? We're already kind of reductionist with Sad and Happy Threads.

What is NMS? PM me if you have to.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111888 on: October 27, 2016, 02:21:17 pm »

NMS?

And yeah, politics is kind of a ubiquitous topic on any forum. At least by relegating it to its own thread, you keep it out of other threads, to the benefit of those who don't care and don't want to talk about it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111889 on: October 27, 2016, 02:21:25 pm »

I think it's safe to say that it's No Man's Sky, as long as we don't actually discuss the game or the controversy here.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111890 on: October 27, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »

Wow...it got that bad over a game?  ??? (No, I don't need backstory if it's going to lead to something)
Just a rhetorical thought.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111891 on: October 27, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »

No Man's Sky. And ninja'd, but eh.

Though nah, m's problem wasn't really the short fuse or the feistyness, it was the inability to keep from directly attacking other posters.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111892 on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:05 pm »

I think it's safe to say that it's No Man's Sky, as long as we don't actually discuss the game or the controversy here.

Gamersgate? Thought that was a different game, but okay. No interest in discussing it or the controversy anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111893 on: October 27, 2016, 02:23:18 pm »

Toady's word on the matter was specifically to say that no dedicated No Man's Sky or My Little Pony threads were permitted, not that they couldn't be mentioned. There's never been any censure of discussion in passing or having related avatars, so unless he tells us otherwise it seems fine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111894 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:46 pm »

Gamersgate? Thought that was a different game, but okay. No interest in discussing it or the controversy anyway.
Nothing gender related, no.

Also, once again I'm shocked that I haven't been banned.  I'm *glad*, but just... some of the things I said when I was depressed and/or drunk, and often angry.  I guess I kept my language civil, though, and maybe that's important.  I still feel unworthy of outlasting some people, though.

Fortunately I'm through that rough patch, so I don't plan to get banned anytime soon.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111895 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:54 pm »

I'll look it up myself then, no idea that game had some sort of controversy around it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #111896 on: October 27, 2016, 02:28:37 pm »

The thing is it usually takes bothering or attacking another forum member, or something that can be considered a protected class to get you banned on here. It's not anywhere as easy as it sounds to get banned even though people seem panicky over it lately.

I'll look it up myself then, no idea that game had some sort of controversy around it.

It was just the discussion topic devolving into personal attacks. Nothing actually interesting.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111897 on: October 27, 2016, 02:34:22 pm »

My mom had to get a hold of the landlady's parents in order for them to get the landlady to clean her part of the house. This person isn't responsible enough to own a house on their own. Like a child that doesn't want to do chores.

My mom said if the house isn't cleaned enough for us not to be able to smell the upstairs from down here by the end of Spring, we'd be moving out. Apparently this is too short a deadline.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111898 on: October 27, 2016, 02:35:47 pm »

Nothing gender related, no.

Also, once again I'm shocked that I haven't been banned.  I'm *glad*, but just... some of the things I said when I was depressed and/or drunk, and often angry.  I guess I kept my language civil, though, and maybe that's important.  I still feel unworthy of outlasting some people, though.

Fortunately I'm through that rough patch, so I don't plan to get banned anytime soon.
I'm mildly surprised that I'm still here too. I've been muted once or twice (forget the exact number) and deserved it. Always makes me feel bad when Tarn has to get involved, because it's time taken away from development.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111899 on: October 27, 2016, 02:35:58 pm »

It was just the discussion topic devolving into personal attacks. Nothing actually interesting.

Looking at the wiki page, looks like the game was a victim of extreme overhyping, possibly worse than EA did to Spore. So, I could see where it might cause clashes when discussing it.
Pages: 1 ... 7458 7459 [7460] 7461 7462 ... 11037