Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7408 7409 [7410] 7411 7412 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491708 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111135 on: October 17, 2016, 11:07:08 am »

I'm not sure that having a gender identity is a mental disorder. I mean, if it's comfortable for you to self-perceive as whatever it is that you do, then you can do so. Or are you feeling actively dysphoric/uncomfortable with the body you have? Because that's another matter entirely.

Besides, even if it was a mental disorder, trying to self-diagnose it via the Internet might be even more dense than trying to do the same for physical illnesses.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111136 on: October 17, 2016, 11:09:27 am »

*hugs Sergarr*

I'm not sure that having a gender identity is a mental disorder. I mean, if it's comfortable for you to self-perceive as whatever it is that you do, then you can do so. Or are you feeling actively dysphoric/uncomfortable with the body you have? Because that's another matter entirely.

Besides, even if it was a mental disorder, trying to self-diagnose it via the Internet might be even more dense than trying to do the same for physical illnesses.
That too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:14:38 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111137 on: October 17, 2016, 11:09:52 am »

To be fair, most forms of body dysmorphia are technically a sort of mental disorder, whether it's feeling like a specific limb is alien or feeling like you're in the wrong-sexed body(second part not established scientific consensus, but iirc the leading idea is that they're caused by the same stuff). Essentially the brain has a 'map' of where everything should be in the body, and if you've got something on the map that you don't have in real life, or vice versa, it really doesn't like it. Usually the easiest/most effective ways of fixing it are surgery to remove the parts that don't match up, actually.

But that doesn't mean that's what you've got, necessarily. If it's not a persistent and regularly occurring issue, it might not be an actual disorder of the typical sort, might be something that gets triggered by your body's reaction to hormones or the like. (A fair portion of LGBTQ stuff is hormones fucking up in one way or another during development; for every older brother a male-sexed person has, the relative risk of being gay is multiplied by 4/3; the theory I heard put forward is that the mother's body becomes allergic to the male hormones involved in gestation, basically, for that portion of the contribution(since there's other factors at work as well, obviously.)) I'd recommend seeing a physician about it if you feel comfortable with it, and/or a psychiatrist, just to work stuff out and see where you're at, but only if you feel safe doing so.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #111138 on: October 17, 2016, 11:17:50 am »

for every older brother a male-sexed person has, the relative risk of being gay is multiplied by 4/3

I know a dude with 8 sisters. He is gay.

Anecdotal evidence is best evidence.

Though having read a bit into it, apparently only 15% of gay men are a result of the "older brother effect".

Wikipedia evidence is second-best evidence.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111139 on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:29 am »

for every older brother a male-sexed person has, the relative risk of being gay is multiplied by 4/3

I know a dude with 8 sisters. He is gay.

Anecdotal evidence is best evidence.

Though having read a bit into it, apparently only 15% of gay men are a result of the "older brother effect".

Wikipedia evidence is second-best evidence.
It's relative risk, not the only thing that affects it :P

What's interesting to me as well is how for men vs. women, the genetic versus non-genetic biological components of what causes someone to be gay have different proportions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111140 on: October 17, 2016, 11:24:25 am »

I'd call it 'chance', not 'risk'... But then again I ain't your PC big brother (heh, topical) vocabulary police.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111141 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:35 am »

I am the youngest of 3. I have devoured people of both sexes, and some in between.

Its like that old legend about 7th sons and etc. The further you are in the sibling line, the more satan you are.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111142 on: October 17, 2016, 11:29:03 am »

I'd call it 'chance', not 'risk'... But then again I ain't your PC big brother (heh, topical) vocabulary police.
I use relative risk because that's the scientific term. Same reason I'm not going to replace 'vagina' with 'genital-hole'. Yes, there was a group that asked for that, and no, it was not the GOP.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111143 on: October 17, 2016, 11:31:04 am »

I use relative risk because that's the scientific term. Same reason I'm not going to replace 'vagina' with 'genital-hole'. Yes, there was a group that asked for that, and no, it was not the GOP.
Wait, isn't 'chance' the usual term used in statistics and probability theory? I mean, maybe the medicos have it all backwards, but I'm fairly sure 'chance' is the term I would have used in stat research.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111144 on: October 17, 2016, 11:34:49 am »

It depends on the study-method you're talking about, I think.

See here.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #111145 on: October 17, 2016, 11:35:01 am »

So. The 5th of November is the Day of Clowns in the Swedish city of Nyköping, when lots of clowns gather in a clown parade and celebration of a famous, passed away clown. Due to the recent Honkening events (yes, they've spread to Sweden too), they decided that inviting to a "clown parade" would be in bad taste this year and thus to change the name from Clown Day to The Great Children's Party.

Because that is not at all even more troubling.
Love, scriver~

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111146 on: October 17, 2016, 11:40:45 am »

See here.
Right, that makes sense. Again, no policing intended, it's just that when I have to translate all the terminology back and forth in my head, and sometimes I make mistakes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111147 on: October 17, 2016, 11:41:50 am »

I think it'd do a lot to set everyone's mind at ease if all professional clowns instead became Great Children, and began to wear appropriate masks to denote their profession.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111148 on: October 17, 2016, 11:42:36 am »

See here.
Right, that makes sense. Again, no policing intended, it's just that when I have to translate all the terminology back and forth in my head, and sometimes I make mistakes.
All good. Was just wanting to clarify for that reason.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #111149 on: October 17, 2016, 11:43:38 am »

Oh goodness what is with the depersonalization being thrown around like its a mild thing :I
No, it isn't, @Sergarr.

I think it's more like depersonalization when you can't imagine yourself being a human being. Which is a thing that happens to me sometimes but I guess that's just what happens when you grew with with a skewed sense of the self.
Same goes with you.

That's disturbing, because while I don't feel like that right now, I do occasionally - and quite often - feel exactly what that article describes. And it's kind of related to the moments when my organism tries to force me to feel exclusively male via hormone treatment.
It's a lot more than mere feelings. Depersonalization covers more aspects than that.

Seeing as I apparently have what could be very well be called a mental disorder, yes it does bother me.
DO go to a professional rather than reading up online feelings and noticing similarities. A very important note is persistence over time, with consistency in being.
Just because the symptoms seem like they match in the brief mention in mind does not mean you probably have that because other factors are just as important. However in mention of disorders--also remember that they are wholesome; BioPsychoSocial, in which all or most aspects are affected from Biological aspects (eg feelings, emotions, etc), to psychological aspects (eg cognition, etc), to social aspects (eg environment around you/duty/work/etc).
I'm not sure that having a gender identity is a mental disorder.[...]
It is not a mental disorder to have a gender identity. :P
That wording makes it silly.

So. The 5th of November is the Day of Clowns in the Swedish city of Nyköping, when lots of clowns gather in a clown parade and celebration of a famous, passed away clown. Due to the recent Honkening events (yes, they've spread to Sweden too), they decided that inviting to a "clown parade" would be in bad taste this year and thus to change the name from Clown Day to The Great Children's Party.

Because that is not at all even more troubling.
What happened here ._.?

Dead tired. Headaches. Storm coming (hooray, Thursday :I The second day of exams.)
And all because of this thesis (and other related matters that make me feel :-\ :'()

Also brevity. Aurgh. Brevity.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:45:51 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 7408 7409 [7410] 7411 7412 ... 11037