Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7394 7395 [7396] 7397 7398 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14451927 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110925 on: October 12, 2016, 10:43:27 pm »

Whelp finished the animated movie of the Adam West Batman... AAAAAND

It just isn't as funny as it was trying.

It is hard to point to EXACTLY what was wrong but if I had to put my finger on it, it was outright the pacing of the movie. The Jokes were so fast that they came off more as references (and they WERE references... but they needed to come off as jokes)

The original Adam West had incredibly silly moments and actually had self-referential humor... They KNEW their show was silly and corny. So they were, somewhat a self-parody.

Then at a certain point the movie starts to actually pull itself from the ashes of being unfunny by instead actually having some decent drama... Which is eventually just thrown out, which is a serious shame because what they were hinting at was... actually good... (I'd tell you but spoilers)

actually here is a spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then after the (anti)climax... there is a good 15-20 minutes left of the movie. Yet there is just no point because who cares. Leading to a really disappointing ending that was actually done better... in the actual show.

What is odd is they make a reference to a disappointing batman movie as a joke "Ha ha, you think the movie would end like this? we aren't that lame"... But honestly that would have been a perfect way to end it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All in all... I kind of really wanted to laugh and like the movie... Yet other then smiling at the lameness of some jokes nothing.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110926 on: October 12, 2016, 10:45:50 pm »

You know, we really need a good sitcom about prehistoric humans. And it needs to be utterly fucking incomprehensible on the surface level, to the point of the characters mostly communicating with grunts and gestures. Good enough directing and acting would get the point across and make it even more effective.

Interestingly enough, the "grunts, gestures, and no complex language" image of early hominids may be very incorrect. The further back into history you go, the more complex languages seem to get.
That's... not really true. All languages that we have record of are equally developed and suited toward expression of any idea, and their complexity (learning-wise) is a entirely dependent on the learner, while structure-wise complexity seems to be relatively impossible to measure since a very wide variety of means of expression is used in languages across the world, and the complexity of these means relative to each other is hard to define.
Even if there are hard parallels between two languages, say, they both have grammatical tense, and one has two tenses while the other has five, the first one likely compensates with an aspect system, or some aktionsart-based bullshit, or ridiculously unintuitive lexical constructions to express the grammatical tense meanings of the second one.

It's actually a major point in theoretical linguistics that we have no record of a defective or incomplete language (with the possible exception of pidgins, which aren't really an exception because they're only defective while used in a narrow range of contexts, but rapidly develop all the nuances of 'real' languages once they gain native speakers who use them in everyday communication. See: creole languages).
A proto-language is something that linguists would very much like to discover, because it would answer a lot of theoretical questions about the development of language in the human race (a topic that is currently treated about the same as perpetual motion or other hackery since there's literally nothing to base serious research on). But it is estimated that the human language system has been in its current state (and therefore all of its products equally complex) for a very long time. Like, start with a hundred thousand years, add more until satisfied. Again, very conjectural since there's literally no data.

Looking into that I found my own WTF for the evening, the Pirahã language. It's not a proto-language, but it's strange in its own ways.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110927 on: October 12, 2016, 11:00:17 pm »

You're probably right, I'm basing my opinion solely on a book I read once.
Snow Crash?  =P

It's actually a major point in theoretical linguistics that we have no record of a defective or incomplete language (with the possible exception of pidgins, which aren't really an exception because they're only defective while used in a narrow range of contexts, but rapidly develop all the nuances of 'real' languages once they gain native speakers who use them in everyday communication. See: creole languages).
A proto-language is something that linguists would very much like to discover, because it would answer a lot of theoretical questions about the development of language in the human race (a topic that is currently treated about the same as perpetual motion or other hackery since there's literally nothing to base serious research on). But it is estimated that the human language system has been in its current state (and therefore all of its products equally complex) for a very long time. Like, start with a hundred thousand years, add more until satisfied. Again, very conjectural since there's literally no data.
Dolphins were in the news recently for the observation of possible sentence structure in their vocalizations (click-baity, but eh). I don't know if there is a branch of linguistics that deals specifically with non-humans, but if there isn't there likely will be soon.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110928 on: October 12, 2016, 11:04:12 pm »

Democracy must be toppled so that Canada can become a country and people could be given equal rights, which we apparently do not any of.
There are no people in Canada, silly. :P 
There are just Canadians. And mooses. Or meese, whichever they prefer to be called, I can never remember.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #110929 on: October 12, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »

Snow Crash?  =P

Dolphins were in the news recently for the observation of possible sentence structure in their vocalizations (click-baity, but eh). I don't know if there is a branch of linguistics that deals specifically with non-humans, but if there isn't there likely will be soon.
Whales also have stuff: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/06/new-evidence-that-sperm-whales-form-clans-with-diverse-cultures-languages/

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #110930 on: October 12, 2016, 11:29:46 pm »

I guess this belongs here as well as anywhere.

I was playing Exanima when my music list moved on to the next album...Stardew valley. It was kind of a surreal experience.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110931 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:28 pm »

Democracy must be toppled so that Canada can become a country and people could be given equal rights, which we apparently do not any of.
There are just Canadians. And mooses. Or meese, whichever they prefer to be called, I can never remember.

Plus tourists, mostly college kids abusing our lower drinking age, permanent non-citizen residents, and a ton of empty houses owned by people who have never and will never step foot in the country. Seriously, the government's even been taking steps to prevent so many foreign buyers.

Oh, and the Geese. Dear God, the Geese.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110932 on: October 12, 2016, 11:34:37 pm »

What was the book called? Historians and anthropologists sometimes have an unfortunate tendency to dabble in linguistics without really having much experience with it.

And aaah, Pirahã, the little Godwin's Law of linguistics: bringing a hiccup into any discussion since neither of the participants have any trustworthy data or experience in it.
Still, the absence of recursion was the only fundamentally weird thing about it, the rest is mostly par the course. Tiny phoneme inventories are rare but not unheard of: check out Papua New Guinea, for example. Non-comparative color terms are not a given as well. Here is a WALS listing which has a bunch of languages with very few color terms (not two, though.)
And since it is my understanding that the recursion thing has been disproved, I see no reason to get hype. Well, maybe a little hype, because it's cool. But not world-ending levels of hype.

The dolphins thing is way rad, though there was really no need to use terms like "words" or "sentences" when those terms are ill-defined even for 'human' linguistics. The rest of his article seems solid to me (I have little experience with dolphins and biology/ethology/whatever, though, so I have to just assume he's citing people who know what they're doing).
Still, I hope somebody gets on that dolphin language case soon, because otherwise it will be left to marine biologists, and that won't go well.
Whale thing rad as well, even though the article seems to imply they just have segments with no segment organization levels - so basically, no morphology or syntax. Huh.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110933 on: October 13, 2016, 07:00:59 am »

I'm not entirely sure how this happened, but it made it to the Manowar Facebook page.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110934 on: October 13, 2016, 07:51:59 am »

Plus tourists, mostly college kids abusing our lower drinking age, permanent non-citizen residents, and a ton of empty houses owned by people who have never and will never step foot in the country. Seriously, the government's even been taking steps to prevent so many foreign buyers.

Oh, and the Geese. Dear God, the Geese.

As a Native American who li as on the border, I advise not do that.

Also the geese, FEAR the geese.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110935 on: October 13, 2016, 09:03:24 am »

Fear the geese.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110936 on: October 13, 2016, 09:39:24 am »

Welp I dug in too deep in the garbage universe of my mind and have discovered the "muffin button" that makes me feel tripping way the fuck out and I can't help but want to press it

I'm pretty sure makes me "legit trash" (c) but I love it anyway.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110937 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:49 pm »

Apologies in advance for vaguebooking -- You beautiful disgusting bastard, I'm not sure whether I want to shake your hand or slap you.

Two phrases of context: "tableau of stuffed toys" and "taboo sex acts".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #110938 on: October 13, 2016, 12:34:16 pm »

Apologies in advance for vaguebooking -- You beautiful disgusting bastard, I'm not sure whether I want to shake your hand or slap you.

Two phrases of context: "tableau of stuffed toys" and "taboo sex acts".
Does this involve ponies
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110939 on: October 13, 2016, 12:40:01 pm »

*Preemptively adds Flying Dice to the flamethrower list
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 7394 7395 [7396] 7397 7398 ... 11040