Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7388 7389 [7390] 7391 7392 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444138 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110835 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »

So while deciding to pull myself off of wizardry 7 for a bit I thought I'd poke one of the heroes of might and magic games for a bit, so I played some of 3. And I can't get this weird little feeling that I'd LIKE to play something like it, but... Not quite exactly it at the moment. But I have no idea what it is that I'm feeling like... Other than that I think I'd like something maybe a bit like it...?

Also I'm feeling weirdly aware of myself right now and it's like I'm suddenly way too aware that I have one eye, or where my tongue is, or if I'm inhaling or exhaling, or when I accidentally bump into my own chest... Just... What?
HoMM3 is one of my favourites of that series (which is my favourite series), and I also have a lot of love for HoMM2, because that was the first game i ever played on PC, and it got me into the series.

My advice? Play it in hotseat mode. Never played the campaigns, don't want to. Still one of the best games to play with friends though. Or even my brother. I've played every single game in the Heroes series (not the original series) and 1 + 4 are terrible, 2 + 3 are great, 5 + 6 are pretty good, and 7 is alright.

Disciples is good, but 3 isn't great. Play 2.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110836 on: October 11, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »

4 are terrible
fite me

Well okay, it is rather terrible to play, but it's actually different and is full of interesting ideas. All HoMM after it were just trying to emulate 3 without really changing anything fundamental :-\
._.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110837 on: October 11, 2016, 04:37:31 pm »

I don't speak German so I wouldn't know if a hobo was interesting to talk to, because I live in Germany.
Is it difficult? Do you usually talk to friends/acqaintances in English? Also how nonexistent is your German?
Kinda curious about whether if it's very inconvenient to live somewhere where you don't speak the language.
I'm in an international program, so yeah, we speak in English. I also seek out English speakers when I need to ask people for things.
Recommendation: Don't go to Denmark as an international if you want to talk to anybody. They're polite, but conversation is like blood from stone. I mean, much more than it normally is for me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110838 on: October 11, 2016, 04:44:54 pm »

Honestly, past 4, I felt it lost a really important part of what made Heroes special to me. That magic wasn't really a thing.

Now, I know that doesn't make much sense, so let me explain. See, if you played the RPG's that tied into the world, you often had things that were very clearly science. Like in, hm, I think 7 in the RPG series, you had to go activate a point-defense gun on a colony ship so you could move a star out of the way, and you found laser rifles and pistols to kill guard bots in the old complex.

Or how the whole setting is on a giant colony ship sent so long ago nobody even knows it's a colony ship. Or how the Kreegans were actually aliens that just looked like demons and shit.

I mean, it was sufficiently advanced science, sure, but still science. You don't really get that in mainline games. And I fucking loved it, because I could come up with all kinds of cool shit to explain what's going on.

Now it's just magic on a magic world with gods. Which is okay, but doesn't really have the same feeling as hyperscience doing magical stuffs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110839 on: October 11, 2016, 04:51:16 pm »

Now it's just magic on a magic world with gods. Which is okay, but doesn't really have the same feeling as hyperscience doing magical stuffs.

To admit there are a few settings where science reaches the point where it basically becomes magic.

For example in one technology reached the point where it can materialize anything and do just about anything so long as a person, within distance, wills it to occur.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #110840 on: October 11, 2016, 04:53:14 pm »

Magic was a thing in might and magic though, it just happened to have robots and lasers. The old plot gets resolved in world of xeen pretty much and from then on the main series games are just in the might and magic verse. Heroes of Might and magic was always straight fantasy in comparison from what I know
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110841 on: October 11, 2016, 04:55:11 pm »

Magic was a thing in might and magic though, it just happened to have robots and lasers. The old plot gets resolved in world of xeen pretty much and from then on the main series games are just in the might and magic verse. Heroes of Might and magic was always straight fantasy in comparison from what I know

And once again the most mind blowing thing about Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic is that they are the exact same dang setting.

Just different sections of it.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #110842 on: October 11, 2016, 04:56:47 pm »

Not exactly, M&M6 exists entirely to bridge the settings finally. And they're still ultimately very different in tone and feel.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #110843 on: October 11, 2016, 05:09:14 pm »

At bus station, talking to probably homeless man because I'm waiting for the bus.
Had one of the best conversations about postmodernism that I've ever had.

If I see that hobo again, I'm going to have a lot of prying questions.
I'm still none the wiser on what postmodernism is. I mean, I sort of know what it means just by looking at the name, but nothing beyond that.
Its a specific art movement that occurred at a specific time period (I think around the end of WW2 but I could be very wrong about that).

Its not a word that seems to have many simple definitions floating around.  From what I can tell tho, post modernism is broadly about breaking down the structure of art in a way that makes the audience question why the structure is necessary.  So for example, stories that lack an ending, stories that abuse the fourth wall, a story told non-linearly, a painting that isn't of anything.  The stereotypical "put up a blank canvas in an art museum and call it art" is postmodernist.

Nowadays postmodernism can come across as kind of cliche or meaningless.  But at the time it originated it could be seen as insightful and impactful.  Since we live in a world where "don't hug me I'm scared" can achieve vast popularity overnight, I think its fair to say that postmodernism made its point.

Its also a larger intellectual movement but I know fuck-all about that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110844 on: October 11, 2016, 05:09:56 pm »

Not exactly, M&M6 exists entirely to bridge the settings finally. And they're still ultimately very different in tone and feel.

Different tone and feel yes...

But my only thing is that they are the exact same setting... exist in the same universe :P

Which means HUGE things for the demon faction (mainly who they are)

It would be like if they revealed Warcraft takes place in the same universe as StarCraft! Err wait no... that isn't EXACTLY correct...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110845 on: October 11, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »

Ah, right. I knew about the whole art thing, which I loosely define as art which is "new and bad," but the postmodernism I've come into contact with most is postmodernist literature, which I'm not really sure how to view.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #110846 on: October 11, 2016, 05:14:44 pm »

The idea about postmodernism is to challenge preconceptions about art, which apparently to artists nowadays just means "it should be disgusting and meta and incomprehensible"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110847 on: October 11, 2016, 05:21:03 pm »

Still the same setting, really. And if tone and feel mattered to if stories are in the same universe, 40k would be even more of a mess than it is already.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110848 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:49 pm »

Honestly, past 4, I felt it lost a really important part of what made Heroes special to me. That magic wasn't really a thing.

Now, I know that doesn't make much sense, so let me explain. See, if you played the RPG's that tied into the world, you often had things that were very clearly science. Like in, hm, I think 7 in the RPG series, you had to go activate a point-defense gun on a colony ship so you could move a star out of the way, and you found laser rifles and pistols to kill guard bots in the old complex.

Or how the whole setting is on a giant colony ship sent so long ago nobody even knows it's a colony ship. Or how the Kreegans were actually aliens that just looked like demons and shit.

I mean, it was sufficiently advanced science, sure, but still science. You don't really get that in mainline games. And I fucking loved it, because I could come up with all kinds of cool shit to explain what's going on.

Well it actually wasn't fully scientific, magic was a thing, and it was definitely an independent natural thing and not just a "sufficiently advanced science" kind of thing, given the existence of things like Elemental Planes and the way the Ancients cleverly used them to terraform lifeless rocks into habitable planets within just 500 years (M&M 2 backstory), as opposed to the more purely scientific method they developed later with World of Xeen (M&M4-5), or, as a more evident in-game example, the "Ritual of the Void" spell that stops the nuclear Demonic reactor from blowing up Azeroth Enroth being a thing that was developed by a very not-sufficiently-advanced locals.

But yeah, the newer M&M games do lack that underlying sci-fi element, which makes them feel really... shallow and generic, compared to the old ones. It doesn't help that they basically refused to advance the story by making all newer games prequels to HoMM 5, thus destroying any possibility of making a coherent global overarching story-arc a la M&M1-5, and a la M&M6-7 + HoMM 3:RE & AB.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110849 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »

Well the series kind of hit the exact same situation as some series hit with is an intense allergy to actually advancing the setting/plot.

All the Fallout games past 2 for example.

I'd say Metal Gear also hit that wall hard for the prequels... They know where the prequels NEED to end but are dead set against actually getting to that point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:44:14 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 7388 7389 [7390] 7391 7392 ... 11040