Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7321 7322 [7323] 7324 7325 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485555 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109830 on: September 27, 2016, 10:24:00 am »

Only shuttle ones, though. If it's not out of this world, he doesn't hit it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109831 on: September 27, 2016, 11:39:08 am »

It's also quite unlikely to actually end up in a position where you do kill someone, I'd imagine, even though you must be willing and able to do it if it comes to that.

To disclose, it's spoken from assumption and not experience. I never got a foot in, myself. I was in one of the last batches before conscription in my country was abolished, and they didn't bother with anyone but the best of the best. I later applied for a sort of volunteer basic training run by the homeguards, but didn't get in that, either. I'm toying with the idea of trying out the voluntary defences and the CD, but I'm not sure, it'd be quite mortifying to hear someone go "Oh, not you again, go away."  I've never been really interested in army work (and I'm not the man for that job, it seems), but I'd like to be able do my tiny little bit for the country. Like guarding the field kitchen or help find people who've gone lost in the woods. I'm not that hideously inept, I hope.

A proper career, in the US Army, is an entirely different thing, of course, and I'd imagine it'd be best to stay out of it unless you're not quite determined to do it.

To meander back to the thread topic: Harambe, or Hamabre or whatever it was. Oh, how people do harp on about that silly ape. Lord knows what level of irony we've reached, but you'd still think he was running for president or something by how long he's been around in the ether. It was a dreadful misfortune for everyone, that whole business (mostly for the ape himself), but it's just gone silly, even if I suspect all the references now are intended ironically.

My contribution to this thread thus far seems to mainly be "Confused Man Yells at Internet".

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109832 on: September 27, 2016, 12:11:31 pm »

I don't think it ever was unironic. The whole meme was about finding the least offensive martyr possible to make jokes about. If you made a joke like "JFK didn't die for this shit" you'd probably get lynched very quickly.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109833 on: September 27, 2016, 12:18:00 pm »

Ugh apartment people are going to visit sometime in the next 4 days to check my air filter and smoke alarms...
It's only once a year but still.  On the plus side, I'd just finished cleaning, so I didn't need to do much.
Still has me a bit on edge that they could arrive at any time, though.  I have a deadbolt but still.

I guess I get it though.  Letting the smoke alarm lapse is a threat to the rest of the building.

I don't think it ever was unironic. The whole meme was about finding the least offensive martyr possible to make jokes about. If you made a joke like "JFK didn't die for this shit" you'd probably get lynched very quickly.
I think some people are serious about being outranged over Harambe...  but they're a silly tiny minority that should be ignored.  They certainly shouldn't be used to represent a bunch of normal people, bluh.

That's another WTF, if frustration counts.  No matter what position you take, someone will take a similar but horrible position, and then you're held responsible for them :-\
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #109834 on: September 27, 2016, 12:42:15 pm »

I think some people are serious about being outranged over Harambe...  but they're a silly tiny minority that should be ignored.  They certainly shouldn't be used to represent a bunch of normal people, bluh.

That's another WTF, if frustration counts.  No matter what position you take, someone will take a similar but horrible position, and then you're held responsible for them :-\

Oof, yeah.

Re: Harambe, at this point it's just a meme. There's no serious movement or agenda, it's just an opportunity to make jokes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109835 on: September 27, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »

Harambe was just yet another "vague case involving animal death, LETS ARGUE ON THE INTERNET" which people took and used to make a meme, completely and utterly trolling the people who were actualy faffing about it like dweebs.

I only hope that they made constructive use of his body and fed it to the lions or something :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109836 on: September 27, 2016, 12:54:47 pm »

Ahhh.... thanks?

I'd be one of the faffers, I think. I was genuinely saddened by it, and really wish they hadn't shot to kill.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109837 on: September 27, 2016, 12:55:32 pm »

Feeding dead gorillas to zoo lions? I don't think your parents would approve treating your late grandmother that way.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109838 on: September 27, 2016, 01:11:41 pm »

Nah, my late grandmother was far more useful than Harambe could ever hope to be. Probably wouldn't make as good of a meal for lions, tho.

Anyway, its not like dead animals can't be recycled as food for big carnivores anyway. I mean, what else would you do with it? Zombie harambe?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109839 on: September 27, 2016, 01:12:45 pm »

Little good can come of letting zoo lions have a taste of hominine flesh, anyway.

E: Though as to what else, medical cadavers and whatnot. Science usually has a use for dead bodies, even if it's only training people to do things to other ones.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109840 on: September 27, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »

Thinking of living things in terms of usefulness is a pretty bad philosophy :/

I'm fairly certain that logic was applied to Black people.

Little good can come of letting zoo lions have a taste of hominine flesh, anyway.
Unless you plan to release them.  ;)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109841 on: September 27, 2016, 01:15:56 pm »

Wat

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109842 on: September 27, 2016, 01:17:56 pm »

Thinking of a living creature solely in terms of its usefulness to you/society/whatever.

Why the wat? I'm fairly certain that describes how many white people viewed black people - a type of farm equipment, essentially.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109843 on: September 27, 2016, 01:22:57 pm »

Wait, are gorillas classified as hominids now? Great apes I know, but I had understood they were still firmly not considered hominids.

Unless you plan to release them.  ;)

No, bad. You can't release grumpy 400+lb carnivores on the public, regardless your definition of the Greater Good.

Wat

He's calling you racist for considering different species based on their value to you as that relates to how slave traders and owners considered slaves they bought and their lives in terms of their value to the masters.

At least that sounds like the association he's trying to make

I see the attempt at slander, but I find it unsuitable, citing that gorillas are a completely different species. Tempacc is fine.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109844 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:13 pm »

That lead to a horrific, delightful mental image where a child falls over the railing to the congress floors and gets dragged about by the president. Oswald, in park ranger shorts, shows up and shoots him, after which the public says "Why didn't you use darts?! Why didn't you shoot him in his big toe?! Why didn't you lure him away from the child with Turkish missile bases?!"

I thought it might all have been under Ironic Use, as it were. It's difficult to see where irony begins and end these days, and where it bleeds over.
Pages: 1 ... 7321 7322 [7323] 7324 7325 ... 11037