Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7310 7311 [7312] 7313 7314 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14476700 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109665 on: September 23, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »

Next you'll tell me the Voynich Manuscripts were for Labyrinths and Lamias.
I don't need to, xkcd did. Also I think a young-Tom-Hanks-filmography reference has whooshed past you.
I have no idea what it referenced but I just want to talk about Prisons and Poltergeists.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109666 on: September 23, 2016, 02:03:11 pm »

Nah I sold that a while back

Now that was very silly, but then again, I shouldn't presume. You could have gotten something really, really nice in return. I hope it was. Like a lifetime supply of Chambord or a private island in the Carribean or a ranch or something. Spend your soul wisely, people. They're valuable, and you better get your money's worth on your purchase. I will bet that spending it on gems and exp packs is an option in some dodgy F2P MMO somewhere, but resist. It's not good value for money, and it would upset me greatly. If you know that you cannot resist, contact me and I will come around and discipline you with a chair leg.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109667 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:06 pm »

What if someone told Hitler that everyone was about to attack Omaha Beach?
Nazis actually had some knowledge of the Overlord in advance, they just didin't belive it, since invasion in Calais seemed much more proable.

Close. The British figured that the Germans would be expecting an invasion, so they dressed up a dead drunk in naval uniform, handcuffed a briefcase with fake invasion plans to his arm, and threw him overboard in an area where they'd know he'd wash up. They also created wooden armies in ideal postions to stage the Calais invasion and arranged for known Nazi spies to gain possession of plans for the fictitious invasion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109668 on: September 23, 2016, 02:23:59 pm »

I thought they fired the body out of a torpedo launcher? I specifically remember that part because it was hilarious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109669 on: September 23, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »

I don't understand people who are unreasonably nostalgic for a time they weren't even alive for. I have a friend from work who's always posting and talking about the 1920s as if they were actually there, and as if massive amounts of organized crime didn't arise from the prohibition of alcohol.

Reading the Great Gatsby is what shattered my illusion of the 20s. Maybe recommend the book to them?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109670 on: September 23, 2016, 03:20:15 pm »

I don't understand people who are unreasonably nostalgic for a time they weren't even alive for. I have a friend from work who's always posting and talking about the 1920s as if they were actually there, and as if massive amounts of organized crime didn't arise from the prohibition of alcohol.

Reading the Great Gatsby is what shattered my illusion of the 20s. Maybe recommend the book to them?

I remember a former teacher at our school told us of his childhood in the 1920's, like when he and his big brother stole and ate the leftover coffee sludge in their neighbour's kettle, out of hunger, with predictable results. That, and other tales of pretty unpleasant poverty was a rather efficent vaccination, as it were. With that said, having a certain nostalgia for the spirit of a past time is not wrong, I think. Hell, some odd thirty, forty years from now and beyond, there will be a nostalgia for the 2010's. Not as much as the "Everything is possible, peace will last forever"-90's, but still. It'll always be around.

Related to that, I remember a big WTF moment when a colleague of mine pined for the 1950's, and mainly because he longed for eugenics, and felt that the closure of the racial biology institute was a mistake. That was definately a case of nostalgia turned really ugly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109671 on: September 23, 2016, 03:22:44 pm »

Nazis actually had some knowledge of the Overlord in advance, they just didin't belive it, since invasion in Calais seemed much more proable.

Close. The British figured that the Germans would be expecting an invasion, so they dressed up a dead drunk in naval uniform, handcuffed a briefcase with fake invasion plans to his arm, and threw him overboard in an area where they'd know he'd wash up. They also created wooden armies in ideal postions to stage the Calais invasion and arranged for known Nazi spies to gain possession of plans for the fictitious invasion.
And, following that, the Germans didn't immediately shift their forces to Normandy because they were convinced it was a diversion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #109672 on: September 23, 2016, 03:49:38 pm »

Some random guy (or gal, I'm not really sure) PMed me to say that I was 5 posts away from having 1337 posts.

Wow, I have that many already... I guess this post makes me "elite" :P

This inspired my to look at my profile which revealed some interesting information: Somehow I made 4 posts at 2 AM, and 5 at 3 AM, despite not having internet at home... Weird. Must have been during a trip or something. Also only 4.57% of my post were made in this subforum, sorry guys, you're just not as interesting as the modding subforum :P
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #109673 on: September 23, 2016, 04:02:42 pm »

Next you'll tell me the Voynich Manuscripts were for Labyrinths and Lamias.
I don't need to, xkcd did. Also I think a young-Tom-Hanks-filmography reference has whooshed past you.
I have no idea what it referenced but I just want to talk about Prisons and Poltergeists.
Mazes and Monsters is an extremely 80s movie about Tom Hanks going LARPing that is the closest thing you can get to a 100% genuinely serious film adaptation of that one infamous Chick tract about D&D. Watch it someday.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #109674 on: September 23, 2016, 04:05:56 pm »

People peeing in the yard that i have a direct view of from my room, less than a minute away from the nearest toilet. Not just any people. Friends. DRUNK FRIENDS. I am not sure what to think. I sadly missed an excellent opportunity to troll them by revealing myself after saying "you know i can see you, right?". :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109675 on: September 23, 2016, 04:07:06 pm »

And, following that, the Germans didn't immediately shift their forces to Normandy because they were convinced it was a diversion.
I feel vaguely insulted at the implication that I might have my history-fu weak. This shit is elementary-school tier, please.
IIRC, there was actually an true real leak that said Calais is distraction and Overlord will take place in Normandy, but Germans actually thought that that was the distraction.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109676 on: September 23, 2016, 04:18:09 pm »

I feel vaguely insulted at the implication that I might have my history-fu weak. This shit is elementary-school tier, please.
IIRC, there was actually an true real leak that said Calais is distraction and Overlord will take place in Normandy, but Germans actually thought that that was the distraction.
The only leak related to D-Day that wasn't part of Fortitude or related double-agent misinformation was the report regarding Turkish operations which tangentially mentioned Overlord that Elyesa Bazna passed to the Germans, and that didn't have enough detail to convince or allow for preemptive planning. At least as far as I'm aware.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109677 on: September 23, 2016, 04:27:52 pm »

Honestly speaking I can't find any real source right now too, because it was something I have read about in Polish history book (it's actually a fucking common problem for me, operating on enteriely different sources than most of internet) that rest of the world doesn't have any idea about proably. I'd try to find it or something, but the fact that it's not on internet, especially that I recall it was quite ironic because the leak happened basically in the same way that the misinformation (papers washed up on shore) and thus would totally be somewhere.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109678 on: September 23, 2016, 05:52:27 pm »

... man, how bad a day did that customer service person have if they sounded that relieved at basic politeness? For what appeared to be the grand effort of just... not yelling at them, and such. It felt like I called in to someone that had been dealing with some serious shit :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109679 on: September 23, 2016, 07:05:36 pm »

... man, how bad a day did that customer service person have if they sounded that relieved at basic politeness? For what appeared to be the grand effort of just... not yelling at them, and such. It felt like I called in to someone that had been dealing with some serious shit :-\

That is a normal day in any phone-based customer service position. Remember this when you have to call them. :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 7310 7311 [7312] 7313 7314 ... 11037