Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7306 7307 [7308] 7309 7310 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473725 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109605 on: September 22, 2016, 06:00:01 pm »

My new phone (doogee x5 pro) has no mute setting. Or way of turning the volume off. Or adjusting it. I spent literally a whole hour looking for one way to play a YouTube trailer with the sound off and THERE IS NONE.

Who the fuck designed a device with 3 different keyboard types and 720x1080 HD on a 60 quid phone but no way to turn the sound off?
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109606 on: September 22, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »

So with Playing cards outright being Tarot cards...

I know that Diamonds is Coins, Hearts is Cups.

But the other two confuse me

I think Clubs are Swords
and Spades are Wands...

But it could be the other way around.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109607 on: September 22, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »

Playing cards are NOT tarot cards. Tarot cards are a late offshoot of playing cards.

The oldest playing cards were used in ancient china, and the 4-suit 52-card deck we used today was in use by the Mamluks in the 1300s (it is unknown when the 13th card was added to each suit - 48-card decks with 4 suits were in use in the 1000s and seem to have inspired both the 8-suits-of-12 decks of India and the 4-suits-of-13 Mamluk decks), using polo-sticks, swords, coins, and cups. When cards caught on in Europe, the Polo-Stick became the cudgel (as polo was an almost-unknown game in Europe), and in the mid-1500s a new five suit deck was created, probably inspired by the 48-card (some European nations omitted the ace for a couple of centuries) game Karnöffel that featured a complicated predecessor to the trumps used in games like euchre. In this new deck, the fifth suit would simplify the game by always counting as trump. This 5-suit deck was more expensive and thus remained the exclusive plaything of the upper class, with the lower classes sticking to the older one.

As the deck passed through Germanic countries, the suits became Leaves, Hearts, Bells, and Acorns before gestation in France morphed these into Clovers, Hearts, Pikes, and Tiles. When these moved to England, a fair smattering of the old names was still in use, and the mixture resulted in the Clover being called the club, and the Pike became the Spada (sword) and eventually Spade, as the older name was applied to them.

Tarot, with the odd fifth suit, languished in upper-class obscurity for about two hundred and fifty years until the late 1700s, when one of the perennial tides of mysticism siezed on them as a fortune-telling device. The Trump suite became the major arcana, and the other four suits constitute the minor arcana. Clubs became wands because that's a more mystical name, and for a long time it was common to call the coins "pentacles" or "circles" (both elements of traditional magic). The Wand is thus the equivalent of the club, and the Sword is a spade.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109608 on: September 22, 2016, 06:47:02 pm »

I don't even particularly like Tarot cards mostly because of their "Good, good, and sometimes bad" nature.

It is why most fiction where someone gets a tarot reading they just COMPLETELY make stuff up.

My favorite being Phantasmagoria's and Gabriel Knight 2's.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109609 on: September 22, 2016, 06:48:51 pm »

Playing cards are NOT tarot cards. Tarot cards are a late offshoot of playing cards.

The oldest playing cards were used in ancient china, and the 4-suit 52-card deck we used today was in use by the Mamluks in the 1300s (it is unknown when the 13th card was added to each suit - 48-card decks with 4 suits were in use in the 1000s and seem to have inspired both the 8-suits-of-12 decks of India and the 4-suits-of-13 Mamluk decks), using polo-sticks, swords, coins, and cups. When cards caught on in Europe, the Polo-Stick became the cudgel (as polo was an almost-unknown game in Europe), and in the mid-1500s a new five suit deck was created, probably inspired by the 48-card (some European nations omitted the ace for a couple of centuries) game Karnöffel that featured a complicated predecessor to the trumps used in games like euchre. In this new deck, the fifth suit would simplify the game by always counting as trump. This 5-suit deck was more expensive and thus remained the exclusive plaything of the upper class, with the lower classes sticking to the older one.

As the deck passed through Germanic countries, the suits became Leaves, Hearts, Bells, and Acorns before gestation in France morphed these into Clovers, Hearts, Pikes, and Tiles. When these moved to England, a fair smattering of the old names was still in use, and the mixture resulted in the Clover being called the club, and the Pike became the Spada (sword) and eventually Spade, as the older name was applied to them.

Tarot, with the odd fifth suit, languished in upper-class obscurity for about two hundred and fifty years until the late 1700s, when one of the perennial tides of mysticism siezed on them as a fortune-telling device. The Trump suite became the major arcana, and the other four suits constitute the minor arcana. Clubs became wands because that's a more mystical name, and for a long time it was common to call the coins "pentacles" or "circles" (both elements of traditional magic). The Wand is thus the equivalent of the club, and the Sword is a spade.
Is the pentacle a penis? How much Freudian imagery appears in magic?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109610 on: September 22, 2016, 06:53:13 pm »

I wonder how the logic for using a card game (tarot) as a divining device went. Same for ouija boards (insert Hasbro occultism joke here).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109611 on: September 22, 2016, 06:55:06 pm »

I wonder how the logic for using a card game (tarot) as a divining device went. Same for ouija boards (insert Hasbro occultism joke here).
Like bibliomancy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109612 on: September 22, 2016, 06:55:13 pm »

Luck is used for divination all the time.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #109613 on: September 22, 2016, 06:56:21 pm »

Probably just a side effect of people naming their Stands after them.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109614 on: September 22, 2016, 07:05:45 pm »

Is the pentacle a penis? How much Freudian imagery appears in magic?

A pentacle is a five-pointed star enclosed in a circle. What kind of fucked up penises have you seen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #109615 on: September 22, 2016, 07:21:38 pm »

Baal and his forked pentapenis would like a word with you shonus, or rather five.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109616 on: September 22, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »

What kind of fucked up penises have you seen.

Echidnas
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109617 on: September 22, 2016, 07:55:05 pm »

Cats have barbed penises, don't they?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109618 on: September 22, 2016, 07:56:09 pm »

Cats have barbed penises, don't they?

well

the male ones do
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109619 on: September 22, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »

In comparison, the females have completely normal penises.
Pages: 1 ... 7306 7307 [7308] 7309 7310 ... 11037