Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7248 7249 [7250] 7251 7252 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464678 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108735 on: September 01, 2016, 07:25:07 pm »

Slightly off topic, but I'm really surprised that Garands and Springfields aren't still in production (AFAIK). Quite apart from their historical appeal, they'd mike excellent sporting rifles.
If you were American you could get one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

They're completely out of Springfields, and have very few Garands left.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108736 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »

Right... a most bizarre thing happened today, and the implications are most unpleasant.

I received a letter. Weird ass claims.

Anyhow, internet searches for various things in the letter turn up nothing.

I'm quite paranoid about things like this, so I am now worried about wtf this means. These people know where I live :'(

Hopefully this is nothing more than a scam of some description, but man... man oh man.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:24:35 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108737 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:18 pm »

Hector:

What have you sent? (by the way, this may be a personally identifiable post, so you might want to scrub it.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:19:41 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108738 on: September 01, 2016, 09:14:18 pm »

Yikes.

Hope it is nothing but weirdstupidshit, hector.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:17:37 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #108739 on: September 01, 2016, 09:17:20 pm »

Ask your local authorities if they know whats going on there.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108740 on: September 01, 2016, 10:12:31 pm »

IDK exactly what you got, but there are some scams that claim to be letters about getting sued/having other legal action taken against you.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108741 on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:50 pm »

There is that free to play Heroes & Generals, pretty sure the standard weapon is bolt action and automatics are short range/very inaccurate at longer range.  I havn't played it for a few years though. 
I don't even remember if it is based on WWI or WWII.
WW2, standard weapon is Semi-Auto. Back during development it was Garand for Americans and actually bolt-action Kar98k for Germans, but MUH BALANCE and they changed it to G43. Honestly speaking though, the only thing stopping everyone from running with STGs/MG42s/FG42s and so on is the RIDICULOUS FUCKING GRIND. It takes longer than human lifespan to get to something useful, honestly. Fun game, but IMO suffers from excessive F2P grind syndrome.

There has not been good casual WW2 shooter since Call of Duty 2. There wasn't a lot of problem there, even if in Multiplayer you could run around with STG all the time, because all the cool people took Kar98ks because they killed in one shoot.
World at War was actually pretty good. Sure, the MP-40 with the dual magazines was stupidly good, but there was plenty of unscope bolt-action fighting to be had, especially because they were pretty much guaranteed one-taps. They even managed to make CoD MP work with tanks.

Speaking of tanks, BF1's are broken as shit. The only way you'll die is if there's a better tanker on the other team (and not even then if you're hull-down in the one-man); the best infantry can do is all go assault and try to ping you with the AT rifle. Maybe it'll be a different story on maps that aren't 70% wide open sand dunes.

Infantry being basically helpless against tanks without their own tank or field gun was the reality of the situation though, wasn't it?
Not really. WWI tanks were not WWII-onward tanks and were relatively gimmicky. But in the game tanks can't get stuck in mud and trenches every two meters or break down incessantly, and infantry can't lie in wait to climb up and lob grenades into hatches, so they give everyone some sort of tools to deal (albeit only shit AT grenades for medics and supports). But that's really not enough.

The light support tank, man. High-mounted, turreted gun with 360 degree traverse. Small, relatively fast. Can fire canister shells and mount an autocannon. The autocannon canister is great for pretty much everything that isn't an armored vehicle, the normal shells are great for everything that is--it takes 3-4 reload cycles to kill one of the larger tanks, which have low, hull-mounted cannons, move more slowly, and are much larger targets. Anything short of a cannon round or AT weapon won't cause damage, and those are all relatively immobile long-ranged weapons (i.e. back up behind a hill, repair, pop out and snipe). You can back up faster than an assault can run at you with an AT grenade. Even going in balls-deep isn't dangerous if you're paying attention, I've sat for entire matches on the main enemy spawn repeatedly killing half their team (and still losing because the rest of mine sucks donkey dong, natch) without much danger.

One thing that I do really like, though, is the little scope twinkle. If you haven't played, basically what happens is that any time someone with a scope weapon aims down it, everyone who can see them from the front (regardless of range) has a bright twinkle pop up on their location. Absolutely marvelous for cutting down on bush-wookie gameplay and encouraging scopeless sniping.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108742 on: September 01, 2016, 10:36:36 pm »

Real WWI tanks could be taken out by a standard Kar 98K firing the "reversed" round. This was an otherwise normal rifle round with a heavier powder charge and the bullet inserted backwards into the casing, causing the flat end to strike first. As paradoxical as it seems, the blunter side hitting was better because the round wouldn't ricochet. The last generation of British heavy tanks were immune to this, but anti-tank rifles were constructed that could penetrate even them.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108743 on: September 01, 2016, 11:04:36 pm »

Make sure you're getting enough sleep, water, and food. Without these things reality starts to backflip into it's own face. Hopefully if your sort out your needs the mind will sort itself out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108744 on: September 01, 2016, 11:05:29 pm »

Real WWI tanks could be taken out by a standard Kar 98K firing the "reversed" round. This was an otherwise normal rifle round with a heavier powder charge and the bullet inserted backwards into the casing, causing the flat end to strike first. As paradoxical as it seems, the blunter side hitting was better because the round wouldn't ricochet. The last generation of British heavy tanks were immune to this, but anti-tank rifles were constructed that could penetrate even them.
I suspect that that might actually be what they're emulating with the scout's anti-vehicle rounds, given that you only carry a few of them and switching over is basically just your character loading one into the chamber of your rifle.

More light tank silliness: top of the scoreboard, 24-0, 27k points (~10k ahead of the next highest). All I did was spawn in the tank at the start and drive around shooting people for the whole match. Spent something like a third of it in the middle of town helping my squad blast out campers, too, and never dropped below half-health. Shit is broken. It's made worse by the fact that if you live long enough you'll be able to spawn right back in to another tank if you die. So if one team has people whoring the lights really well and the other has people pulling the Mk-IVs and big boxy ones only to promptly die when they charge into close quarters... yeah.

Glad that the planes aren't cancer though. Have seen people trying to play the bombers like door-gunner helicopters, just orbiting instead of dropping bombs, but it doesn't seem to do much. Probably also helps that the air controls are absolutely dreadful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108745 on: September 01, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »

Real WWI tanks could be taken out by a standard Kar 98K firing the "reversed" round. This was an otherwise normal rifle round with a heavier powder charge and the bullet inserted backwards into the casing, causing the flat end to strike first.
Sweet fuck, how often did they break the rifle doing this? That sounds stunningly unwise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108746 on: September 01, 2016, 11:11:55 pm »

Real WWI tanks could be taken out by a standard Kar 98K firing the "reversed" round. This was an otherwise normal rifle round with a heavier powder charge and the bullet inserted backwards into the casing, causing the flat end to strike first.
Sweet fuck, how often did they break the rifle doing this? That sounds stunningly unwise.
Probably better than getting killed by a tank, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

saigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108747 on: September 01, 2016, 11:19:24 pm »

Everyone acts differently in different situations, but all those mannerisms are just different parts of you. There's only one person there.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108748 on: September 01, 2016, 11:23:10 pm »

It was very much not good for the gun (there are reports of rifles exploding), and German infantry wasn't all that happy with it. This lead to the development of the "K" bullet in 1917, which replaced the standard 7.92mm round with one that had a core of hardened steel, giving about a 1 in 3 chance of penetrating the British Mark IV. In 1915 when the reversed round was introduced, it was considered to at least be better for the gun than being thrown away in panic and subsequently crushed under a tank tread.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108749 on: September 01, 2016, 11:40:27 pm »

How'd they find that out anyways? 
Some panicking guy loading bullet(s) in the wrong way and firing at the tank?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 7248 7249 [7250] 7251 7252 ... 11040