Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7241 7242 [7243] 7244 7245 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460832 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108630 on: August 31, 2016, 02:31:19 am »

WHY DO THE PEOPLE I'M WAITING FOR HAVE TO TALK SO BLOODY MUCH THEY'VE BEEN TALKING ALL DAY I JUST WANT TO GO HOME AAAUGH
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108631 on: August 31, 2016, 03:18:51 am »

ChairmanPoo, be positive, I'm sure you'll get that position.

BTW, I was ripping some CDs with CDex, and setting the genre to Punk Rock (almost all of the CDs), and noticed that "Primus" was listed as one of the allowed genres. Primus is a genre apparently.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:50:58 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108632 on: August 31, 2016, 07:03:31 am »

Woah, hey, what the hell is in this cold medicine. First I felt like my body was on fire, then it kinda felt cold, now my body is strangely slightly numb but I feel overall significantly better, and while it supposed to be kinda cold outside, I feel basically nothing, not even the cough that was ripping my throat from inside out earlier. Huh.
Check the ingredients, dood. Probably alcohol and a handful of other stuff if it's liquid.

In wtf news dream brain had a bit of a go, this time. Somehow turned the battle hymn of the republic into one celebrating Soviet nationalism. Not quite sure how, because it was mostly in what sounded like russian, but. Yeah. Also helpfully informed me that "book read" is a euphemism for an orgy circle (y'know, kinda' like a witch's circle except less fucking :V). And apparently avatars of once-human giant floating space rocks (the ultimate combo of space wizard and ground wizard) are surprisingly adroit at forming mixed herds of cats and ferrets in an urban environment. Though the ferrets where about the size of your average raccoon.

Fun one, but shit got pretty weird. At some point main perspective critter watched what appeared to be people stealing a logging site, and then had a reality fuckery match off with the Mask (which was how they ended up somewhere broadcasting soviet anthem-type things and accidentally joining an orgy circle.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108633 on: August 31, 2016, 08:34:34 am »

As a matter of fact, on an average day it's more usual to get people with malignant haematological conditions than benign ones, because they're more frequent.
I'd have you'd get more people with malignant conditions because they're more dangerous.

Although I can see how the bell curve would favor pathogens which are actively trying to proliferate rather than just sit.
Its more a matter of raw incidence. Primary benign haematological conditions can be as life threatening as haematological neoplasms, but there are less of them and  they are far more rare.

Consider: idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura happens to 60 people per million inhabitants per year, and its about the most common one. (Others, like aplastic anemia, are far more rare). Conversely, malignant haematological conditions are far more aboundant(and reasonably so. The marrow is basically a bunch of constantly stem cells and their supporting niche; it makes sense that most of its disorders qualify as malignant - if often technically so-),  more frequent for the most part, and many of them  have a very long course, so they build up.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108634 on: August 31, 2016, 08:43:20 am »

This is far more interesting than I feel it should be.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108635 on: August 31, 2016, 08:47:12 am »

Anything that someone can devote their career to can be interesting, no matter how specialized.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108636 on: August 31, 2016, 10:00:16 am »

This is far more interesting than I feel it should be.

It's medicine. Crazy things happening to the human body are interesting to most people possessing a human body. It's why body horror tends to be so effective.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #108637 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:17 am »

Man, I really hope I get the opportunity to be a biomedical engineer. Cyborgs, anyone?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108638 on: August 31, 2016, 10:49:09 am »

Ray Kurzweil predicts people will prob be using nanobots to interface their neocortex with cloud networks (IE google) in about one or two decades, so it may be a viable carreer within our lifetimes :U

Considering Kurzweil is actualy working in ways to do that sort of thing and creating what he calls "an artificial neocortex", and that he has succesfuly predicted about 30 years of technological development, its kinda hard to not take him seriously.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108639 on: August 31, 2016, 10:52:36 am »

So the idea that this is world is a therapeutic period-piece simulation for the comatose and aged isn't implausible?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108640 on: August 31, 2016, 10:53:32 am »

I can't take nanobots seriously because

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #108641 on: August 31, 2016, 10:56:49 am »

My WTF today was: Cream.

I just needed cream for cooking, nothing special right? Wrong! The store had 5 different kinds of sour cream, 3 kinds of whipped cream, and 4 kinds of Cream for coffee but no (not even Soy!) cream that is used for cooking.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108642 on: August 31, 2016, 10:58:44 am »

Ray Kurzweil predicts people will prob be using nanobots to interface their neocortex with cloud networks (IE google) in about one or two decades, so it may be a viable carreer within our lifetimes :U

Considering Kurzweil is actualy working in ways to do that sort of thing and creating what he calls "an artificial neocortex", and that he has succesfuly predicted about 30 years of technological development, its kinda hard to not take him seriously.

Well, actual nanoscale robots are probably bullshit unless we find some serious sci-fi tech to do them with. As for an artificial neocortex, I once was at a lecture by a guy who wanted to grow an artificial neocortex, but instead just invented an interesting brain tissue preparation and imaging method based on the intended growing method (CLARITY) because it wasn't actually realistic to grow one with the method envisioned.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #108643 on: August 31, 2016, 11:03:19 am »

A cursory search shows that he is a computer scientist, not a neurological researcher. And I'll always doubt any predictions about the future. Especially if they believe in the singularity (I think that is basically just a religion at this point). And especially if they co-author books about nutrition with alternate medicine practitioners.

And many of his predictions seem to have been wrong, according to Wikipedia. The paper that claimed only two were "wrong" was written by... himself. Other sources are more critical.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:05:16 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108644 on: August 31, 2016, 01:35:43 pm »

Man, I really hope I get the opportunity to be a biomedical engineer. Cyborgs, anyone?
Cyborgs!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7241 7242 [7243] 7244 7245 ... 11040