Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7231 7232 [7233] 7234 7235 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14452369 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108480 on: August 28, 2016, 12:30:57 am »

Yeah, I can see 'poetic' working.
As though 'strangely poetic'.

Edit: Although upon thinking on it I feel like 'poetic' is interchangeable with 'profound'. Which isn't humorous or flippant.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:33:27 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #108481 on: August 28, 2016, 01:27:50 am »

Since we're talking about misusing words, I really hate it when people say "literally" as if it's just a fancy was of saying "very" or just use it at random times that don't make sense.

It's two o' clock, and I can't really think of anything to say besides that. Sorry.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108482 on: August 28, 2016, 01:29:55 am »

I don't like it either, but that's literally pretty pedantic of you. ;)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #108483 on: August 28, 2016, 01:30:48 am »

fuq u

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108484 on: August 28, 2016, 01:36:26 am »

Since we're talking about misusing words, I really hate it when people say "literally" as if it's just a fancy was of saying "very" or just use it at random times that don't make sense.

It's two o' clock, and I can't really think of anything to say besides that. Sorry.

It is called Hyperbole... Something even the dictionary seems to not know...

As in "I am so tired I am literally dead" :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108485 on: August 28, 2016, 02:14:32 am »

So I've been trying to curb my misuse of the word 'ironically' by supplanting it with the word 'co-incidentally'.

But ironically, 'co-incidentally' isn't the right word either.
Please someone tell me we have an English word for when things deliberately coincide in a humorous fashion.
It's gently torturing my brain.

You need a larger arsenal of such terms depending on the exact relationship of events. e.g.:

"Incidentally, X also happened"
"Meanwhile, X also happened"
"Amusingly, X also happened".
"Conveniently, X also happened".
"Funnily enough, X also happened". This one leads into these equivalents:
“oddly enough,” “curiously enough,” “aptly enough,” “strangely enough,” etc
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:20:43 am by Reelya »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108486 on: August 28, 2016, 02:29:39 am »

It is called Hyperbole... Something even the dictionary seems to not know...

As in "I am so tired I am literally dead" :P

The point of literally though, was to distinguish between hyperbole and incredibly unlikely reality.
As you see, proper use of the word literally can save lives and make badass movies. You wouldn't want badass movies to stop existing now, do you?

What's fascinating though is that out of all people, linguists don't care. They're more interested in watching the language evolve rather than throwing a hissy fit just because someone isn't following an arbitrary set of rules.

I can't say I agree with them though...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:31:17 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108487 on: August 28, 2016, 02:55:21 am »

What's fascinating though is that out of all people, linguists don't care. They're more interested in watching the language evolve rather than throwing a hissy fit just because someone isn't following an arbitrary set of rules.

I can't say I agree with them though...

I wouldn't put all Linguists into that boat. There are quite a few linguists whose only goal is to enforce their idea of how the English language Should be spoken.

Such as that one guy who said that English is a Romantic Language.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108488 on: August 28, 2016, 03:09:46 am »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108489 on: August 28, 2016, 03:24:14 am »

Suddenly I'm famished and feverish.

This is a weiiiiiird hangover. I might be dying or something. Bleurgh. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108490 on: August 28, 2016, 04:25:04 am »

Eat a burrito you fool.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #108491 on: August 28, 2016, 05:31:18 am »

Controversy in Finland: Särkänniemi amusement park in Tampere declared last year that they were going to close down their dolphinarium and either move the animals to another dolphinarium or release them. Last night, without prior announcement, they flew the dolphins to Attica Park dolphinarium in Greece. Särkänniemi's CEO says it was kept under wraps so they could work in peace. Animal rights organizations are now furious that they weren't told about this in advance and thus couldn't set up a protest.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is, though. A private corporation kept its operations private, as they are allowed to, and the dolphins are fine.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108492 on: August 28, 2016, 06:11:51 am »

Controversy in Finland: Särkänniemi amusement park in Tampere declared last year that they were going to close down their dolphinarium and either move the animals to another dolphinarium or release them. Last night, without prior announcement, they flew the dolphins to Attica Park dolphinarium in Greece. Särkänniemi's CEO says it was kept under wraps so they could work in peace. Animal rights organizations are now furious that they weren't told about this in advance and thus couldn't set up a protest.

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is, though. A private corporation kept its operations private, as they are allowed to, and the dolphins are fine.

???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108493 on: August 28, 2016, 06:25:00 am »

Well, I suppose ultimately it depends on your perspective if you agree with the animal rights protests. I think, given your response, you don't agree with them (and to be honest I don't ether although it's a complicated issue that I don't think I really have the answer too). But seeing it from their angle: Keeping dolphins in captivity is wrong, they want to free the dolphins, this is a good chance to do so but they don't have a legal way of forcing the park to do so, however, if they can get a good protest going and turn public opinion against keeping them in captivity, maybe they can free them, which, remember, from their point of view is a very very very good thing. However, from their perspective the zoo duplicitous snuck out the dolphins under cover of night in an attempt to avoid any chance of backlash or public opinion. I think, idk. It makes sense to be angry if you ultimately agree with the animal rights activists. "Private corporation being private" Is not an excuse really when you think they are still ultimately being evil.

Seen from the other angle, that keeping the dolphins in captivity is right, they cleverly managed to avoid meaningless harassment. Ultimately... Well, I can see the argument both ways here.

Edit: Obviously that's a generous assessment for the animal rights activists mindset, that they've actively decided that this is a case of the dolphins not belonging in captivity and needs to be specifically stopped, and not just "We do protests. Damn we missed a chance to protest." And also a generous assessment of the parks mindset, that they've actively decided that this is a case of the dolphins belonging in captivity and needing to stay in it, and not just "Lol, of course we're gunna sell these blowhole motherfuckers off, now how can we do it with as little attention as possible?" But I guess without further information I'm fine being that generous.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:31:52 am by Criptfeind »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108494 on: August 28, 2016, 06:33:27 am »

Yeah, you just have to think about it from their perspective and it becomes more clear why they are furious.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 7231 7232 [7233] 7234 7235 ... 11040