Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7225 7226 [7227] 7228 7229 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443583 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108390 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:06 pm »

Aye that's the fucking annoying one, selling things that are naturally gluten-free at twice the price of the ones that aren't marked gluten-free on the package.

All well and good if you're a mad bastard hipster or whatever, less so if you're a Formica coeliac.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108391 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:33 pm »

Tongue lengthening exercises?  Really?  Really?

They are a thing what even :o
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:43:01 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108392 on: August 25, 2016, 09:52:13 pm »

Aye that's the fucking annoying one, selling things that are naturally gluten-free at twice the price of the ones that aren't marked gluten-free on the package.

It actually does mean something, though. A lot of plants will process more than one kind of food product at their facility. A 'gluten free' label on the packaging guarantees that they've taken direct action to mitigate the very real risk of cross-contamination, whether that be through processing only gluten free products, or taking steps to keep everything cordoned off and have separate exclusively gluten free machines and inventory control systems. Certain products will actually often have warnings that they were processed in the same place as peanuts, or shrimp, or other common allergens for the same reason.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #108393 on: August 25, 2016, 09:56:12 pm »

I'm not all up on Islamic law and such, but isn't halal the Muslim version of kosher? Just means "permissible" or some such?
According to Wikipedia, "halal" is an umbrella term covering anything that's OK for Muslims to use or do. A specific quote:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Muslims must also ensure that all foods (particularly processed foods), as well as non-food items like cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, are halal. Frequently, these products contain animal by-products or other ingredients that are not permissible for Muslims to eat or use on their bodies.
So, yes, ointment has to be halal.

It actually does mean something, though. A lot of plants will process more than one kind of food product at their facility. A 'gluten free' label on the packaging guarantees that they've taken direct action to mitigate the very real risk of cross-contamination, whether that be through processing only gluten free products, or taking steps to keep everything cordoned off and have separate exclusively gluten free machines and inventory control systems. Certain products will actually often have warnings that they were processed in the same place as peanuts, or shrimp, or other common allergens for the same reason.
For people with celiac disease, it is a good thing that gluten-free foods are specifically labeled as such. However, labeling everything that wouldn't even have gluten in the first place as "gluten-free" seems to primarily be a marketing technique; it was rarely if ever put on the box before Wheat Belly became a bestseller and gluten-free became the stupid dietary fad of the decade. Even then, the little peanut and shrimp things are usually small and out-of-the-way, whereas gluten free food will often have the label splashed somewhere on the front of the package.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:03:38 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108394 on: August 25, 2016, 10:06:47 pm »

Aye, but these measures are unlikely to increase costs so much that you then need to sell the gluten-free products at a significantly higher price per unit,  an average of 242% more expensive.

The gluten-free label is so they can price it higher.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108395 on: August 25, 2016, 10:10:46 pm »

Some of the temp workers that come in sometimes. We get people who literally cannot make or even pack a cardboard box properly.

Tell them to bind some papers with the binding machine. All the papers are neatly stacked in specific quantities, clearly separated by markers, and all that jazz. They just grab a handful of paper and stuff it into the machine, with markers included. Gotta show them how to put it into the machine neatly. And tell them that the markers are there for a reason, that they are to be kept in their required quantities, that they are to all be facing the same way, and so on. And they still do it like shit anyways.

One of my actual co-workers taped up the flaps of a box to keep it open, and because the flaps were annoying(?). By which I mean they wrapped tape around all the sides of the box several times. Makes it a bitch to close, since you will probably ruin the flappy bits ripping the tape off. Anyways, a temp tried to do the same thing. Poorly. Grabbed a short length of tape, simply stuck it onto a flap, not actually wrapping it or touching anything other than that one flap, and asked me why the flap would not stay down.

The temp complained that this was the most boring, difficult, and all around worst job she had ever done.

Anyways, I nabbed some old, unused Shadowrun rip-off temporary tattoos. They were for some knock-off thing about high-school-aged Shadowrunners bringing down big-tobacco corporations as part of some anti-drugs program thing.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108396 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »

Aye, but these measures are unlikely to increase costs so much that you then need to sell the gluten-free products at a significantly higher price per unit,  an average of 242% more expensive.

The gluten-free label is so they can price it higher.

I'm not saying it isn't mainly cashing in, but the fact that it's splashed on the front of the packaging is the cashing in. The label and the processes behind it are both useful and legitimate. It's also still cheaper than the gluten free stuff that you could get before the health craze took off, and a lot more varied too, just because of the increased scale of production and because one company can't dominate the tiny market anymore.

Some of the temp workers that come in sometimes. We get people who literally cannot make or even pack a cardboard box properly.

Tell them to bind some papers with the binding machine. All the papers are neatly stacked in specific quantities, clearly separated by markers, and all that jazz. They just grab a handful of paper and stuff it into the machine, with markers included. Gotta show them how to put it into the machine neatly. And tell them that the markers are there for a reason, that they are to be kept in their required quantities, that they are to all be facing the same way, and so on. And they still do it like shit anyways.

One of my actual co-workers taped up the flaps of a box to keep it open, and because the flaps were annoying(?). By which I mean they wrapped tape around all the sides of the box several times. Makes it a bitch to close, since you will probably ruin the flappy bits ripping the tape off. Anyways, a temp tried to do the same thing. Poorly. Grabbed a short length of tape, simply stuck it onto a flap, not actually wrapping it or touching anything other than that one flap, and asked me why the flap would not stay down.

The temp complained that this was the most boring, difficult, and all around worst job she had ever done.

Anyways, I nabbed some old, unused Shadowrun rip-off temporary tattoos. They were for some knock-off thing about high-school-aged Shadowrunners bringing down big-tobacco corporations as part of some anti-drugs program thing.

A lot of temps at the plant I worked at were like that. They knew they were disposable mooks at the bottom of the ladder with no way up, and the company treated them as such, so they didn't put any real effort in. The place that brought on full-time personnel from among the temp staff they'd brought in didn't have it quite as bad because there was an actual reason to do more than the minimum to not get fired. Even so, when anyone with a pulse can get the job you're gonna have a few dull ones, heh.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108397 on: August 25, 2016, 10:40:17 pm »

NO

THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MUSIC
What if I bring my guitar to this not-music party? I can make lots of noise with it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #108398 on: August 25, 2016, 10:42:39 pm »

Yoink confirmed for Not Fun. Please enforce the quarantine so it does not spread. Communicate with him only outside arm's reach.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108399 on: August 26, 2016, 12:34:42 am »

I should start selling gluten free, organic, free range water.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108400 on: August 26, 2016, 12:42:07 am »

Too late not really...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #108401 on: August 26, 2016, 12:48:54 am »

This is a quote verbatim from this peanutbutter jar:

--NO--
Preservatives, artificial flavors, or colors*

*Similar to all peanut butters

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108402 on: August 26, 2016, 12:56:56 am »

People think I'm a bot.  ???  I thought they were joking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108403 on: August 26, 2016, 01:04:03 am »

Quote from: generic response
You mean you're not?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108404 on: August 26, 2016, 01:07:01 am »

Why? Could you give me a straight answer?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 7225 7226 [7227] 7228 7229 ... 11040