Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7175 7176 [7177] 7178 7179 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14474196 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #107640 on: August 14, 2016, 02:04:59 pm »

Strategy isn't the best genre to choose though, given that it also refers to how to play a game as well, official guides being referred to as strategy guides etc.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #107641 on: August 14, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »

Strategy games proved long ago that genres don't have to literally describe their genre specifically. "Strategy" could conceivably describe Pong.

I'm pretty sure what people mean when they say "MOBA is vague" is "I dislike that a company created this term to market their game." But instead of actually saying that legitimate criticism, everyone needs to create contrived standards for proper genre names so they can dismiss it. I can't figure out why.
I guess my description of a strategy game wasn't a great one, since pretty much every game has strategy, or at the very least tactics, and I don't think that simply having the ability to form strategy is sufficient to be a strategy game. And the definition of a strategy game is heavily based off connotations that most of us have built up about the term. But I guess genres in general tend to be nebulously defined and people will argue about anything and everything on the Internet until the heat death of the universe.

Really, I guess part of what I dislike about the term "MOBA" is the "Arena" bit, since to me, the map size is excessively large for anything claiming to be an "Arena". But that's partly personal preference.

And on a side note, I wasn't even really aware that MOBA was invented by Riot until after I hated the term, and I'm more of a fan of Blizzard's "Hero Brawler". Or, in the spirit of roguelikes, DotA-likes, but good luck getting Riot to acknowledge the existence of that game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107642 on: August 14, 2016, 02:18:23 pm »

The spirit of roguelikes would just be calling them AoS games. Or arena, or tug of war or whatev', depending on the style. AoS was the Rogue of the primary genre being discussed. Worked just fine getting the point across for years, dagnabbit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107643 on: August 14, 2016, 02:19:12 pm »

Nah I hate the term moba because it's the least informative way to describe a game, ever
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107644 on: August 14, 2016, 02:25:44 pm »

AoS worked just fine getting the point across for years, dagnabbit.
Except no self-respecting casual-games article is going to go "AoS games (or 'age of strife', as the first game of the genre was named). That doesn't enlighten the nongamer at all.

Also "strategy" as "real time strategy", "turn based strategy" and "4x strategy" (which more and more I'm starting to think just means "hex-tile strategy" all seem to be based on resources, macro and micro.
Which I'd like to believe tactical shooters don't.
Much.
I miss you GRAW...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107645 on: August 14, 2016, 02:26:20 pm »

Nah I hate the term moba because it's the least informative way to describe a game, ever
It really isn't.

RPG is.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #107646 on: August 14, 2016, 02:37:26 pm »

Right, at least with MOBA, even though it's a horrible nondescriptive term that I hate, people will usually be aware of what I'm talking about.

If I say I play RPGs, you have no idea if I'm even talking about video games. D&D and Pokemon are both RPGs and have very little in common. So are most roguelikes. And Dark Souls. And Fiasco. The only things Fiasco and Dark Souls have in common are the title of RPG, and the fact that there's a story, and players each have a character.

As a random aside, watch people with improv/acting skills play Fiasco some time. It's amazing.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107647 on: August 14, 2016, 02:40:02 pm »

It's harder to create a user interface for a real-time 4x game than a tilesgame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #107648 on: August 14, 2016, 02:59:50 pm »

It really isn't.

RPG is.
If you're playing a game, you're playing the role of someone else.  Even like, Supreme Commander put you in the shoes of a nebulous "commander" that other characters would talk to in the campaign segments.

So yeah, most games are RPGs if you want to use the dictionary definitions of those words.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107649 on: August 14, 2016, 03:06:57 pm »

CoD is an RPG.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #107650 on: August 14, 2016, 03:11:51 pm »

Hey, I was in high school when Modern Warfare 2 came out and a lot of what people I knew (who were surely the prime demographic for CoD) talked about was how cool the story scenes where you died in first person were.  That and stroking their epeen to their K/D ratio of course.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107651 on: August 14, 2016, 03:16:15 pm »

Strange, when people were talking about MW2 around me, they were stroking their epeens about their K/D ratio... and how much they think hacking = skill.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107652 on: August 14, 2016, 04:59:20 pm »

Right, at least with MOBA, even though it's a horrible nondescriptive term that I hate, people will usually be aware of what I'm talking about.

If I say I play RPGs, you have no idea if I'm even talking about video games. D&D and Pokemon are both RPGs and have very little in common. So are most roguelikes. And Dark Souls. And Fiasco. The only things Fiasco and Dark Souls have in common are the title of RPG, and the fact that there's a story, and players each have a character.

As a random aside, watch people with improv/acting skills play Fiasco some time. It's amazing.
There's a podcast about it, dunno if you've heard it. Gosh Darn Fiasco. Family's friends with one of the hosts, actually.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107653 on: August 14, 2016, 05:19:29 pm »

My WTF today was clicking on the League Thread and then this thread and seeing Putnam having the same argument in both of them.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107654 on: August 14, 2016, 05:32:43 pm »

I just, like, play video games, maaaan.

Why do we need all these labels? Just respect the game's genre identity. >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7175 7176 [7177] 7178 7179 ... 11037