Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7148 7149 [7150] 7151 7152 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479922 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #107235 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:13 am »

Too expensive.
Not really?  I mean I haven't seen studies or anything but I don't think that's the problem.
You'll be paying every adult (presumably) an amount of money that can be lived on.

The adult population of the US - over 18s - is ~240m. Even at $10k, that's $2.4t. The federal budget in 2015 was $3.8t
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #107236 on: August 05, 2016, 10:53:45 am »

Better yet how do you stop what happens in real life...

Which is that there are "Sciences" that are basically a load of nonsense and bullock such as Eugenics?

As far as I understand things, eugenics, while morally reprehensible, is not scientifically unsound. Are you thinking of race-biology and how people in that field manufactured evidence of racial superiority? The terms aren't interchangeable.

This is correct. Eugenics was little more than applying well-known and time-proven methods of improving crops and livestock to humanity. Some of the criteria for "culling" people from the gene pool (via sterilization in more civilized countries and execution in the Thousand Year Reich) was based on pure nonsense, and some of the issues targeted were not hereditary as was thought at the time, but the basic concept is sound. We as a society collectively rejected the science on ethical grounds (not least because the excesses of the Reich showed just how dark a path it could lead us down) in the mid-to-late 20th century, much as we as a society have collectively rejected bioweapons and poison gas as too horrible to even possess, but that doesn't make it a pseudoscience.

Here is kind of the thing... "The basic concept is sound" is basically what Pseudo-science lives off of. The idea that a baby can have some form of brain problem from brain swelling viewed from booster shots? The basic concept is sound.

Eugenics, as it was studied, isn't about some form of "Human husbandry" where they wondered if by only having strong people breed that maybe we would get a breed of strong people.

Eugenics was originally created as a sort of way to explain why people of "Good Breeding" are just inherently better than everyone else.

What makes pseudo-sciences pseudo-sciences is how they are studied... not how their "basic concept works"

That's like claiming that alchemy discredits chemistry or Lysenkoism discredits gene theory. Adding nonsense and bunk to a core concept does not make that concept invalid.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #107237 on: August 05, 2016, 10:55:16 am »

I'm still not sure of you're not confusing eugenics with race-biology.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107238 on: August 05, 2016, 10:58:20 am »

That's like claiming that alchemy discredits chemistry or Lysenkoism discredits gene theory. Adding nonsense and bunk to a core concept does not make that concept invalid

Here is the thing... Chemistry cleaned up its game and actually developed into a full fledged science AFTER Alchemy (alchemy being a sort of Philosophy hybrid).

Eugenics? Never did.

I'm still not sure of you're not confusing eugenics with race-biology.

They are incredibly intertwined since "Race-biology" is basically a continuation of the same concepts.

But Eugenics was more... Classism and Race-Biology was more racism.

Assuming of course, because I want to do as little additional research as possible, that Race-Biology wasn't just the continuation of Eugenics.

So unless there is real science done at some point, I am not giving credit to the Pseudo-science for being legitimate. Even racism has SOME grounding in reality, but we don't exactly legitimize racism.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:03:37 am by Neonivek »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107239 on: August 05, 2016, 11:03:04 am »

Hard cap on the price of goods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[EDIT: nomenclature]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:10:44 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107240 on: August 05, 2016, 11:07:05 am »

Hard cap on the cost of goods.

Bread tax? I mean... O_o that is such a throw back.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107241 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:02 am »

How will you control inflation?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107242 on: August 05, 2016, 11:15:06 am »

Needles and tape >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107243 on: August 05, 2016, 11:23:09 am »

Price caps.  Duh?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107244 on: August 05, 2016, 11:29:46 am »

Hard cap on the price of goods.

[EDIT: nomenclature]
That seems like, a, uh, well a terrible idea.

Effective ways caps through taxation and limits on bonuses wouldn't be bad though. No one really needs more than a million bucks a year. 70-80% tax rate past that seems fine. Something to do with stock, too, maybe.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107245 on: August 05, 2016, 11:50:53 am »

This it? Nine hundred and fifteen chapters, three hundred and twenty seven of them translated. The amount of work that has gone into this crazy garbage is just staggering.
Not sure whether it's a violation of forum ToS or not to link to that (translations like that are usually examples of blatant copyright infringement :P), but yeah, that's it. One of the amusing things is while the translation is further along than most, the work itself is apparently not particularly unusual vis a vis length for its sort of literature :V

It's becoming increasingly tempting to learn to read chinese (and japanese, and korean, ahahaha) just to have open access to the whole run of the stuff.
Huh, I thought it was a free-to-read web novel like Worm and shit like that. ??? I guess I should remove the link just to stay on the safe side.

When you think about it, the ungodly length and sluggish pace of these things make a lot more sense if you've got a million people paying a few yuan for each chapter. Must be a reasonably lucrative trade once you've got a throng of hyperlexic suckers hooked on your drivel. :v

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107246 on: August 05, 2016, 11:57:35 am »

This it? Nine hundred and fifteen chapters, three hundred and twenty seven of them translated. The amount of work that has gone into this crazy garbage is just staggering.
Not sure whether it's a violation of forum ToS or not to link to that (translations like that are usually examples of blatant copyright infringement :P), but yeah, that's it. One of the amusing things is while the translation is further along than most, the work itself is apparently not particularly unusual vis a vis length for its sort of literature :V

It's becoming increasingly tempting to learn to read chinese (and japanese, and korean, ahahaha) just to have open access to the whole run of the stuff.
Huh, I thought it was a free-to-read web novel like Worm and shit like that. ??? I guess I should remove the link just to stay on the safe side.

I hate copyright law because of things like this. It's still obvious that it grew out of censorship law.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107247 on: August 05, 2016, 12:15:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't actually know how the original is made/distributed. Could be free, could be paid... it doesn't really matter so far as infringement goes, though, unless the actual author has given permission or is using a permissive license of some sort. Free online often doesn't mean free anywhere online, with whatever modifications whoever pleases to make. Can easily violate copyright law distributing or modifying a free work, heh, for all that the folks making them are usually too poor or too ideologically inclined towards sharing et al to really do anything about it.

... honestly, I usually don't really check with translated work, I just refrain from linking directly. If you assume it's infringement there's not going to be a problem even if it isn't :P

E: But yeah, web serials and LNs and whatnot tend to kinda' be the Dwarf Fortress of modern literature so far as metaphorical development cycles go, particularly if they get popular enough donations and/or ad funds can support the author fully or in part (and that's assuming they don't end up outright published and sold via normal distribution routes). Some end, some just keep going until the author dies or somethin'.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:25:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107248 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:14 pm »

My schedule flexes quite a bit from day to day.  I made a mistake and found I was an hour late.  Called it in and was told that after an hour I might as well stay clocked out, it's going to be treated as a full absence anyway.

So here I am.

In what world is 1 hour late especially when there's such a massive need for overtime, equivalent to missing the whole day?  I would expect they would be more overjoyed that I was just late and not missing the whole day.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107249 on: August 05, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »

don't take it too hard.

Things happen, and youre valuable enough that theyll find a way past it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 7148 7149 [7150] 7151 7152 ... 11037