Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7146 7147 [7148] 7149 7150 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479868 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #107205 on: August 05, 2016, 01:50:25 am »

I originally intended Joe to be a doctor but I felt that would make Bob less sympathetic. Becoming a doctor who saves lives takes a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107206 on: August 05, 2016, 01:51:30 am »

Becoming a doctor who saves lives takes a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice.

If that is the kind of doctor you are of course :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #107207 on: August 05, 2016, 01:51:44 am »

I feel like the point/idea of meritocracy is that you get competent people making informed decisions in government, not you reward the people who appear most skilled.

Or you hold tournaments, and whoever survives may rule.
"Competent" is a nebulous concept, even when compared to "apparent skill."
Here's what we do.

Hopeful political leaders sign up to the Government Academy (run by an independent commission with as many layers of arbitration and quality control as the state can afford). They get training in How To Govern, managing priorities, organising development, all that stuff. Side classes on political history, debating skills, pros and cons of different ideologies.
After they've graduated through all that, they get appointed to some random town or district for a year or so to prove their skills. They get a grade based on how various demographics have changed during their term (with allowances for things like legislation changes, disasters, and so on).
Candidates who can reduce commuting times, improve safety, grow businesses, and plan development effectively get higher grades than people who faff around. Approval rating is more or less a modifier, people who fuck everything up but are loved by the people get kicked out immediately, people who are generally hated but achieve a great deal get put on a PR course.
Eventually, the people with the best grades make it to the top, and nobody realises the real government is actually just the Commission.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107208 on: August 05, 2016, 01:54:40 am »

How do you stop corporations from bribing the commission?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107209 on: August 05, 2016, 01:56:17 am »

Better yet how do you stop what happens in real life...

Which is that there are "Sciences" that are basically a load of nonsense and bullock such as Eugenics?

And before you go "Well they have to have an appreciable effect" I should add that they are the ones who make up the effect as well...

Once again... Non-contemporary psychology... Which was a "Science"...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:58:35 am by Neonivek »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107210 on: August 05, 2016, 01:58:33 am »

I thought Eugenics was dead?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107211 on: August 05, 2016, 01:59:05 am »

Here's what we do.

Hopeful political leaders sign up to the Government Academy (run by an independent commission with as many layers of arbitration and quality control as the state can afford). They get training in How To Govern, managing priorities, organising development, all that stuff. Side classes on political history, debating skills, pros and cons of different ideologies.
After they've graduated through all that, they get appointed to some random town or district for a year or so to prove their skills. They get a grade based on how various demographics have changed during their term (with allowances for things like legislation changes, disasters, and so on).
Candidates who can reduce commuting times, improve safety, grow businesses, and plan development effectively get higher grades than people who faff around. Approval rating is more or less a modifier, people who fuck everything up but are loved by the people get kicked out immediately, people who are generally hated but achieve a great deal get put on a PR course.
Eventually, the people with the best grades make it to the top, and nobody realises the real government is actually just the Commission.

Eh, I dunno. It seems like it'd be a little too easy for someone (or multiple someones) to go all Comrade Index Card on it, or for the various ideological groups represented to coordinate to paralyze the system with calls of biased treatment (or just not doing their jobs properly) to get what they want/crash the government with no survivors.

Better yet how do you stop what happens in real life...

Which is that there are "Sciences" that are basically a load of nonsense and bullock such as Eugenics?

It would presumably be drilled into the heads of pupils by the non-Eugenics groups that Eugenics are bad. The idea would be that they'd be able to entertain the thought and understand the reasoning behind it while not necessarily accepting it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107212 on: August 05, 2016, 02:01:10 am »

It was an example that wasn't controversial (as I don't want to drag this into a different argument over "What is a legit science")

It would presumably be drilled into the heads of pupils by the non-Eugenics groups that Eugenics are bad

Unless of course... you don't have non-Eugenics groups.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107213 on: August 05, 2016, 02:02:41 am »

How do you stop corporations from bribing the commission?
Regular application of fire.

Well. More accurately in that case any organization caught attempting to bribe the commission could just have all their assets seized. Maybe keep it running but give a share of the stock to every citizen or somethin'. It wouldn't prevent it outright but it'd make it a fair bit less likely.

Nah, not entirely. Certainly not in non-human fields, heh, where it's as thriving as it ever was. But there's the occasional bit of varying degrees of discredit of the human sort, too, I do believe. Not like there's not enough money in groups inclined towards that sort of thing to get it some funding.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107214 on: August 05, 2016, 02:03:29 am »

Sadly some of the eugenics laws haven't been repealed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107215 on: August 05, 2016, 02:09:47 am »

I originally intended Joe to be a doctor but I felt that would make Bob less sympathetic. Becoming a doctor who saves lives takes a lot of hard work and self-sacrifice.

And a follow up to that, just because one person is put into a position to become a job that we consider to be prestigious and another isn't, doesn't mean that they don't still have equal value as sentient sapient beings. A problem with meritocracy and capitalist society is that the idea that people have a right to live and have access to food and shelter regardless of their ability or inability to work is regularly ignored or shut down altogether.

The solution is to establish that former idea and make sure that people have access to food, shelter, and medicine regardless of whether or not they are able to or decide to work or contribute production. Once people are guaranteed to not have what they need to live taken from them, the rest of local governing becomes about maintaince, regulation, and permissions, which doesn't seem that bad to me. Then it just becomes a question of how to decide who does the governing.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107216 on: August 05, 2016, 03:09:16 am »

And in the continuing adventures of paper crane man, he has now set himself on fire, ate a self-combustion plant to catch himself more on fire, jumped into a lake and hung out at the bottom for a while, still on fire, then climbed out, walked home clothed in nothing but a rain cloud, and had the size of his dick laughed at by a giant goose.

Ho yez, dot's th'good stuff. This is the gift that is apparently going to keep on giving. Shame I really need to go to sleep now...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #107217 on: August 05, 2016, 03:23:16 am »

Sadly some of the eugenics laws haven't been repealed.
What? Where?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107218 on: August 05, 2016, 03:45:07 am »

Ugh, terms as indistinct as "meritocracy" always get on my nerves.

We use "meritocracy" in England to justify the fact that our country is a shithole of inequality and its only getting worse. Bit like, "aspirational", or "I pay my taxes", though the latter is a general term of disgust and self-righteousness.
One wheel short of a wagon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107219 on: August 05, 2016, 03:51:04 am »

I lost the better part of a day to reading a new webcomic I found out of the blue.

This just keeps happening to me...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 7146 7147 [7148] 7149 7150 ... 11037