Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7133 7134 [7135] 7136 7137 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483626 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #107010 on: August 03, 2016, 01:21:26 am »

Because they're totes evil for not paying obscene tax rates.
Tax is theft don't ya know

Oddly enough I've seen a show that was exactly that.

These artists join a artist colony and the Taxman comes and everyone says "Everyone has to pay their dues even artists" and I thought the protagonists were going to be taught a lesson about responsibility or something...

But nope they... kind of... defeat taxes and never have to pay taxes ever again.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107011 on: August 03, 2016, 01:23:18 am »

Ahh I see, it very well could be a tax thing. Your gun laws are odd any way, I mean, almost anyone can get a gun and they're cheap, only receivers are the firearm legally(while here barrels and bolts are too) BUT then you have silly, silly 200 $ per item ATF tax for stuff like silencers and grippods.

So, how many 22 LR boxes of 500 do I order for you? This shop also has non-corrosive primer .223 Rem for 30 ¢ a piece. :P :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107012 on: August 03, 2016, 01:30:40 am »

None. I have only a .17 caliber. I only really use it to chase off coyotes and anyway.

Because they're totes evil for not paying obscene tax rates.
Tax is theft don't ya know

Its not theft, but when its so much higher than the alternatives that nobody is willing to pay it, does it make any more sense to charge them for theft when they pay taxes to your more reasonable neighbors instead? Just because you want it so bad?

It just ends up looking like Washington state is run by a bunch of orangutans that throw temper tantrums when they don't get what they want.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #107013 on: August 03, 2016, 01:38:20 am »

It isn't a tax thing. Several years ago, gunmakers realized the popularity of the AR-15 and similar combined with the high price of .223 ammunition meant there was a niche in the market for a similar gun chambered in the cheap, ubiquitous .22lr round. They were very right, and demand for .22 ammo skyrocketed virtually overnight. Combined with bullet speculators buying every round they could find to resell at an inflated price, this drove the price of the ammo through the roof.

It got so bad that .22LR was literally rationed by most retailers for awhile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107014 on: August 03, 2016, 01:45:54 am »

I see. In that case its interesting that the high retail prices there havent transferred to high export prices in what, several years? They really are 7 to 9 cents a piece here. Most expensive ones are like 15, which seems to be the usual price there.

Schönebeck SK from Germany and domestic Lapua(I know that Lapua is a premium brand abroad) are both more expensive than the US-import Winchester, Federal and CCI.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #107015 on: August 03, 2016, 02:25:57 am »

Its not theft, but when its so much higher than the alternatives that nobody is willing to pay it, does it make any more sense to charge them for theft when they pay taxes to your more reasonable neighbors instead? Just because you want it so bad?

It just ends up looking like Washington state is run by a bunch of orangutans that throw temper tantrums when they don't get what they want.
So for tobacco this actually makes sense - smoking is really bad for your health and costs the public an awful lot in healthcare, etc.
Border control is kinda necessary in order to call yourself a sovereign state, if you can't enforce your own laws you're not a government worth respecting.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107016 on: August 03, 2016, 03:40:21 am »

Playing Fallout 3 after a pretty long pause. It always amazes me how Bethesda's writers, and the voice actors they hire, utterly fail to inspire any sort of pathos or empathy.

You're fleeing from a terrifying enemy that outnumbers and outguns you, when suddenly you have to stop; one of your charges has a heart condition. You need to do something right now, or he dies; but if you stop then you'll surely be caught and killed.

Here's how the scene is written. I'm paraphrasing but this isn't too far off:
Doctor: Garza needs medicine. I swear I won't leave him.

(Good ending)
Garza: I need medicine.
Doctor: Here's medicine.
Garza: Thank you doctor for this medicine.
Doctor: You sure did need that medicine.

The first line is the only one delivered with any emotion at all; the rest is totally casual and conversational.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #107017 on: August 03, 2016, 03:47:51 am »

The (years long) trend in open world games seems to be that everyone is an asshole and no one likes the player.  Not quite what you're talking about but it produces the same effect.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #107018 on: August 03, 2016, 04:01:49 am »

Nono, it's actually related. A huge part of that scene (which I remember vividly) is how awful Doctor Li is towards you and how pants-on-head idiotic she is about it. Then again, most of that game's characters are pants-on-head idiotic.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107019 on: August 03, 2016, 06:13:52 am »

Yeah keep in mind that Fallout 3 is a progression from Oblivion's "stop right there, criminal scum!"

They were kinda pioneering open-world 3D RPG's, so a lot of the voice acting was new to the actors.
I think. I haven't googled a single thing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107020 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:14 am »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

I thought the origin of the word "Barbarian" would be vague meaning... or possibly involve a specific group (It isn't impossible)

But nope! its origin is quite explicitly kind of racist to denote someone who talks and 'walks' differently.

It is probably one of the few cases I can think of where an incredibly racist term just kind of naturalized all on its own. If I had to guess why it is likely it became so associated with fantasy and a specific view (like Conan) that it no longer applies to any real group anymore. THAT and Barbarian as an insult had been subverted in fiction "They aren't the barbarian YOU ARE!" so many times that the subversion ("Someone who is needlessly cruel") has become the definition.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #107021 on: August 03, 2016, 07:28:43 am »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

I thought the origin of the word "Barbarian" would be vague meaning... or possibly involve a specific group (It isn't impossible)

But nope! its origin is quite explicitly kind of racist to denote someone who talks and 'walks' differently.

It is probably one of the few cases I can think of where an incredibly racist term just kind of naturalized all on its own. If I had to guess why it is likely it became so associated with fantasy and a specific view (like Conan) that it no longer applies to any real group anymore. THAT and Barbarian as an insult had been subverted in fiction "They aren't the barbarian YOU ARE!" so many times that the subversion ("Someone who is needlessly cruel") has become the definition.

It literally means "not-citizen", and was originally applied to anyone who was not Greek. Since Classical Greece has always been considered to be the center of Western civilization (especially by the Classical Greeks!), the association between "not-greek" and "uncivilized swine" is a natural evolution; and from there all it took was a slight cultural shift to create the various meanings of today.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107022 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:21 am »

Yeah, when the roman barbarians gave them sandal-sole.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107023 on: August 03, 2016, 08:15:38 am »

Yeah, when the roman barbarians gave them sandal-sole.
Spoken like a true barbarian who wears clothes to hide their deformed body.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107024 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:22 am »

If by deformed you mean "gigantic" and by body you mean "penis", then How Dare You!
Pages: 1 ... 7133 7134 [7135] 7136 7137 ... 11037