Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7132 7133 [7134] 7135 7136 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483679 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106995 on: August 02, 2016, 08:41:08 am »

Oh man, that reminds me that I need to continue that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106996 on: August 02, 2016, 11:14:49 am »

I just sort of realized.

The critiques we often put on bad children's cartoons... That are often defended on the basis of "Its for kids, they don't know any better"

Are... the exact same problems plaguing cartoons for adults.

It kind of spins a sort of irony (yes I know Poetry is the correct term) on the whole "It is for kids" argument.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106997 on: August 02, 2016, 11:17:08 am »

But I haven't heard that argument/critique in years because it's an utter horseshit argument altogether. It's not defending it at all, and kids do definitely know better. Just because something's for kids does not make it okay for said media to be bad.
grump
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106998 on: August 02, 2016, 11:29:26 am »

But I haven't heard that argument/critique in years because it's an utter horseshit argument altogether. It's not defending it at all, and kids do definitely know better. Just because something's for kids does not make it okay for said media to be bad.
grump

Well the reason why "Its for kids" argument started going out of style (outside stuff for REALLY young kids, which is fair to some extent) is because we have started to get REALLY good kids animation

AND the 90s generation, the ones who grey up during the golden age of animation, actually grew up. Which created two effects
1) "Its too silly" has started to die off and THANK GOODNESS!!!
and
2) It actually makes "children cartoons" an extremely popular medium for adults.

Though the problem in my mind with hoping that they finally do a popular serious adult cartoon in my mind is...

I like Batman the animated series... I appreciate but didn't like Spawn the animated series.

The Killing Joke was rated R but criticized for not being rated R enough (which to admit for SOME things it would have helped)

Adult cartoons are OBLIGATED to be shock gore sex. Since otherwise they wouldn't be "Adult"

Thus conclusion: The only source of mature animated storytelling comes from Children's cartoons and can only come from Children's Cartoons.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:31:53 am by Neonivek »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106999 on: August 02, 2016, 12:25:34 pm »

Just finished my binge of all of Mistborn.

The ending of the third Wax and Wayne book.

Holy shiiiiiiiiit

Yeah, the third one started going in kind of an odd direction. Not necessarily a BAD direction, but still a O_0 direction.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #107000 on: August 02, 2016, 03:55:27 pm »

I remember those books.

...makes me wish I could still focus long enough to finish a book.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107001 on: August 02, 2016, 04:26:54 pm »

Had to wake my mother up so I could get a ride to work. Then my stepdad calls me an asshole(when he assumed I was out of earshot) then came up to me and demanded that when I notice my mother oversleeping that I should wake her up.

I can only assume he meant "wake her up earlier", which I technically did seeing as we didn't explicitly have to leave right away since she herself wasn't going to work. I don't know if he expects me to listen to see if she forgot to set the alarm, not that it would help since she, like me, seems gets up before the alarm goes off and shuts it off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107002 on: August 02, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »

Do you have a license?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107003 on: August 02, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »

Had a great co-op session going, then Steam shat itself. No rage thread so here's where it goes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107004 on: August 02, 2016, 09:33:08 pm »

Just found a black metal band shirt in a local secondhand store. O.o
This town is mostly full of rednecks, churches and a growing contingent of hipsters. Apart from the metal section in the record store, it's always seemed to me like you could throw the entire damn town through an airport metal detector without a beep. I think I may have actually glimpsed the shirt's former owner once, wearing a different shirt from the same band. Wonder why he decided to part with this one.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107005 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:26 am »

._.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107006 on: August 03, 2016, 12:21:05 am »

Do Brazilians know how to walk? The number of people that just fell over...

Also, dem fire extinguishers. I liked that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107007 on: August 03, 2016, 12:48:33 am »

I dont know if this is a prepper thing with the coming US presidential elections or what... But I noticed when going through various online stores looking for 22 LR and comparing to US prices, something odd.

https://www.av-ase.fi/ase/tuote/22lr-cci-standard-velocity-/076683000354/
http://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-40-gr-lrn-standard-velocity-cci-100-rounds
WalMart equivalent: https://www.walmart.com/ip/22LR-40gr-LRN-50/148281788

The most basic 22 LR rimfire ammo there is, that is produced in IDAHO, shipped across the pond, transported on a truck for about 1,500 miles, is still less than half price it is in the manufacturer's homeland! Its not just CCI or Fiocchi US, its the same thing in every type and brand. The stuff is shipped 1/3 across the globe and is still 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Its probably cheaper for Americans to buy from Finland and pay the transportation and customs than walk to Wal-Mart! Cheapest 22 LR I can find here is 7,5 eurocents a piece, cheapest I can find online in USA is 14 US-cents...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107008 on: August 03, 2016, 01:14:22 am »

Of all things, I don't think we can get away with importing ammunition from Finland. Not without adding your name to a few more watch lists. :P

Also, iirc years ago Obama wanted to put a tax on ammunition. That might be the reason, assuming it actually happened.

Its the same reason gasoline is 20¢ more per gallon in Washington state than Idaho; Washington has higher taxes for gas. They also have higher cigarette and tobacco taxes, along the lines of Canadian tobacco taxes; customers from both Canada and Washington (or Oregon. Or California. Or whereverthefuckistan.) Would mention that they'd be paying 2-3 times as much per carton. So they come across the border.

And then if they get caught with more than two cartons they could face drug trafficking and tax evasion charges. Oh, the police would also confiscate their items as evidence, purportedly. Because they're totes evil for not paying obscene tax rates.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #107009 on: August 03, 2016, 01:17:56 am »

Because they're totes evil for not paying obscene tax rates.
Tax is theft don't ya know
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 7132 7133 [7134] 7135 7136 ... 11037