Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7119 7120 [7121] 7122 7123 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479329 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106800 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:55 am »

Probably the most realistic form of Fiction Unconsciousness is from a successfully executed blood choke. So long as it's done properly and not held too long it can cause unconsciousness in seconds, and while the afflicted will wake up in fairly short order it does exhaust them and provide enough time to apply restraints.

Of course, if you do it wrong you'll give them a minor case of severe brain damage or break their neck, but it's a hell of a lot more plausible than everything else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106801 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:50 am »

I still remember one game where the villain chokes you to death... but not that he asphyxiates you... In that he strangles you so hard he snaps your neck like a twig.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106802 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

Ok I cannot remember what it is...

But often in fiction there are children who are sickly and have to stay in bed all the time... But they essentially grow out of it.

While it may seem silly or even like a soap opera disease... It is in fact an allusion to a real life childhood ailment...

But everytime someone tells me what it is, I immediately forget... What is the childhood "Sickly stay in bed" illness that you just grow out of?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106803 on: July 29, 2016, 11:50:02 am »

Rabies, of course.

It could be a couple of things, depending on the time period. Tuberculosis or polio, maybe.

If we're talking about pre-modern medicine, it could just be vague weakness from malnutrition or a less than stellar pregnancy; i.e. "poor constitution".
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106804 on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:37 am »

or polio, maybe.

No... I am fairly certain Polio doesn't go away from age.

It is something you can get as a child, that will go away as an adult... that generally forces you to stay in bed a lot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:58:28 am by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106805 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »

Pretty certain we're talking about TB or malnutrition here. Or maybe it's just not real.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106806 on: July 29, 2016, 12:11:44 pm »

But then I also remembered that falling asleep immediately after head trauma, especially if you cannot be awakened afterwards, is also a sign of brain damage... and being carried for what was likely over a mile would have woken just about all but the heaviest of sleepers up.
If you fall asleep after a blow to the head it could just be a concussion. Your body heals them faster when sleeping, so obviously it goes 'Feel tired and go to sleep' to you.

The problems arise because it's possible that you could have a torn vein/artery in your brain as a result of it, which is why it's not advised you got to sleep. If you do you could wind up in a coma/dead before they realise you're not sleeping any more.

HOWEVER if you are knocked unconscious and don't wake up after more than a few seconds, then it's likely you have pretty bad brain damage. The longer you're knocked out the worse it is generally. Of course, if you are knocked out for even a few seconds it doesn't mean you'll be able to immediately get up. You'd probably be pretty stunned and confused for at least a few seconds, depending on how much your head was knocked about it could take a few minutes to get out of your daze.

Thing is,   I've never actually seen anyone being advised not to go to sleep after a concussion. What I've seen relatively frequently is being kept in the hospital for 24 hours with a CT scan at the beginning and another one at the end.  Particularily in people under anticoagulation therapy.

I suspect the "don't go to sleep" thing is based on a wrongly apprehended and heavily outdated hospital protocol, which has survived in mainstream media long after being phased out IRL.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106807 on: July 29, 2016, 12:18:24 pm »

There's... several dozen different things that can keep you mostly bedridden/sickly until you grow up a bit, I do believe. Some more common than others, though it's definitely less common in general nowadays. Malnutrition would be an easy one, though, sure. Kinda' depends on what's missing, and so far as I'm aware there tend to be physical symptoms there that don't tend to be displayed in the fiction settings being discussed, but eh. Could just be some kind of local bug or allergies, too. Probably a buncha' other stuff, it's not like the symptoms generally involved are particularly uncommon.

'Course, just fictive isn't exactly impossible, either.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106808 on: July 29, 2016, 12:20:41 pm »

or polio, maybe.

No... I am fairly certain Polio doesn't go away from age.

It is something you can get as a child, that will go away as an adult... that generally forces you to stay in bed a lot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliomyelitis
Many but not all people fully recover.
Nom nom nom

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106809 on: July 29, 2016, 12:23:32 pm »

Thing is,   I've never actually seen anyone being advised not to go to sleep after a concussion. What I've seen relatively frequently is being kept in the hospital for 24 hours with a CT scan at the beginning and another one at the end.  Particularily in people under anticoagulation therapy.

I suspect the "don't go to sleep" thing is based on a wrongly apprehended and heavily outdated hospital protocol, which has survived in mainstream media long after being phased out IRL.
I know this one. It's to check if they're only sleeping or have fallen into a coma. Unnecessary with modern monitoring, but for once it's not media advising us to our deaths. So long as the concussion victim isn't in a hospital it's a good way to keep track of their status.

I think the actual misconception might be that falling asleep makes it more likely that they'll fall into a coma and die.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106810 on: July 29, 2016, 02:35:44 pm »

I accidentally activated a StickyKeys-esque option, Filter Keys. I thought that my keyboard was broken and was steaming mad for almost half an hour before I noticed the tray icon.

What I don't get is why these things are so easy to accidentally activate, but if I actually needed to use them I would have no idea where to look since they're not advertised and I would probably never even have known StickyKeys existed if it weren't for a Samurai Jack flash game that used the Shift key to attack way back in 2002.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106811 on: July 29, 2016, 02:42:22 pm »

Sticky keys are the worst invention ever.  Have you ever been playing an early 21st century game and had a good run ruined because the computer registered sticky keys through the game and tore the game into the background, often violently and fatally?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106812 on: July 29, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »

Sticky keys are the worst invention ever.  Have you ever been playing an early 21st century game and had a good run ruined because the computer registered sticky keys through the game and tore the game into the background, often violently and fatally?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Htssc1zyeM
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106813 on: July 29, 2016, 03:56:39 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106814 on: July 29, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »

You know you can turn sticky keys off right.
Pages: 1 ... 7119 7120 [7121] 7122 7123 ... 11037