Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7075 7076 [7077] 7078 7079 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473448 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106140 on: July 17, 2016, 01:22:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure I just found one of Tiruin's first posts O.o
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #106141 on: July 17, 2016, 01:25:46 pm »

Tiruin posted in your abdominal cavity?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #106142 on: July 17, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »

Nope. I was looking through one of the threads in the Hall of Legends and I found a post from Tiruin that said "this is one of the reasons I made my account." So I guess that would be one of their first posts, if not their actual first post?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106143 on: July 17, 2016, 01:37:24 pm »

I actually remember a "Balance mod" for final fantasy tactics I have... The Oracle who was just wretched before (well outside a few moves) was suddenly amazing! Which is good because the game replaces the Oracle with a Super Oracle anyhow (who is the Oracle in everyway except better).
Beowulf is a magic knight variant of the Oracle, if I recall. He actually pulls a decent hit rate on his sword attacks.

Pretty sure the accuracy rate of Oracle spells are based on a calculation of the user's and target's Faith stats(higher on both = higher hit%)... and I think it was the Oracle that gets both the Faith and Innocence spells. I never really bothered using the Oracle except as a prerequisite for other jobs, though. I don't remember their ability list off-hand, but I do remember one of their shticks was they were one of the only jobs that can wield the 2-tile-range sticks.

The primary purpose of the Oracle was to inflict negative statuses in a game where negative statuses kind of sucked. The only real use of any Oracle abilities is to Calculate Faith to the entire board before hitting it with a Holy or -Aga spell that your entire team absorbs. The Oracle was one of only 3 classes that were essentially useless to max out in that game.

That is the thing Status effects weren't bad. In fact they were amazing!

The issue is that they cost a lot of MP, had terrible hit chances, and often had a charge time of uselessness...

The "Balance Mod" (which is fun and I recommend) suddenly allows the Oracle to actually cast spells in time, balances the MP usage, and makes the hit chance WAY easier. So the Oracle is effectively as good a class as any other... rather then a stepping stone class. (In fact the Mediator is amazing as well)

The ONLY flaw with the balance mod is they remove the Mime... which almost no one used anyway. And MAYBE Dancers are overpowered.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #106144 on: July 17, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »

Nope. I was looking through one of the threads in the Hall of Legends and I found a post from Tiruin that said "this is one of the reasons I made my account." So I guess that would be one of their first posts, if not their actual first post?
It's true.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106145 on: July 17, 2016, 01:46:53 pm »

I actually remember a "Balance mod" for final fantasy tactics I have... The Oracle who was just wretched before (well outside a few moves) was suddenly amazing! Which is good because the game replaces the Oracle with a Super Oracle anyhow (who is the Oracle in everyway except better).
Beowulf is a magic knight variant of the Oracle, if I recall. He actually pulls a decent hit rate on his sword attacks.

Pretty sure the accuracy rate of Oracle spells are based on a calculation of the user's and target's Faith stats(higher on both = higher hit%)... and I think it was the Oracle that gets both the Faith and Innocence spells. I never really bothered using the Oracle except as a prerequisite for other jobs, though. I don't remember their ability list off-hand, but I do remember one of their shticks was they were one of the only jobs that can wield the 2-tile-range sticks.

The primary purpose of the Oracle was to inflict negative statuses in a game where negative statuses kind of sucked. The only real use of any Oracle abilities is to Calculate Faith to the entire board before hitting it with a Holy or -Aga spell that your entire team absorbs. The Oracle was one of only 3 classes that were essentially useless to max out in that game.

That is the thing Status effects weren't bad. In fact they were amazing!

The issue is that they cost a lot of MP, had terrible hit chances, and often had a charge time of uselessness...

The "Balance Mod" (which is fun and I recommend) suddenly allows the Oracle to actually cast spells in time, balances the MP usage, and makes the hit chance WAY easier. So the Oracle is effectively as good a class as any other... rather then a stepping stone class. (In fact the Mediator is amazing as well)

The ONLY flaw with the balance mod is they remove the Mime... which almost no one used anyway. And MAYBE Dancers are overpowered.

Mediator was already amazing. Quite apart from being far better at getting items from random encounters than the thief (Invite generally has hit chances on par with Steal, but gets you the entire character instead of one item at a time, and you can harvest them for crystals if you're so inclined) but they were the only characters that could modifiy Brave and Faith permanently upward.

Where is this Balance Mod anyway? I've messed with 1.3, which was a welcome difficulty spike but I disliked some of the changes made (most monsters had their elemental weaknesses removed, and the changes to some of the classes were more than I would like), but the basic idea of a reworked FFT is fundamentally appealing, particularly since FFTA was mediocre at best.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106146 on: July 17, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »

http://www.nexus-studios.org/fft-rebirth/features

Final Fantasy Tactics Rebirth

Also I forgot it makes Poaching AMAZING

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106147 on: July 17, 2016, 02:18:50 pm »

Interesting, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with an actual PS1 (unless they simply mean you can't run it on an unmodified one), which is suboptimal.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106148 on: July 17, 2016, 02:30:08 pm »

I love my PS2, but I'm used to emulating PS1.  I never really found it difficult for PS1 games, but I guess the actual controller is probably nicer than keyboard mappings.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106149 on: July 17, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »

It isn't the difficulty that is the annoyance. I have yet to find a PS1 emulator that I would rank above "acceptable" in graphical fidelity, particularly with games from companies like Square (Square-Enix is still salvagable as a company, but they need to start paying attention to their customer base instead of ordering people to like the crap they keep putting out) that were top-flight in the PS1 era.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106150 on: July 17, 2016, 04:01:49 pm »

Huh. All the major ones (e, fin, a third one I'm forgetting the name of, probably others, there's more than one that's pretty on point at this point) I've used have been about on par with the actual machine on a TV for... like a decade, now, barring the occasional outright bug (of which there's very, very few these days) and whatever difficulty the machines I ran them on had hardware wise. Far as I could tell, anyway.

I mean. That's not the most difficult bar in the world to pass, seeing as how CRTs were CRTs and PSX era 3D et al is PSX era 3D et al (which is to say mostly shit :P), but still. Graphics wise hasn't seemed to be much of an issue for a good number of years now...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106151 on: July 17, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »

FFT, for example, gets some garbage in the dialog boxes (lines, pixellation, etc) and a few of the special effects don't display properly. They're minor issues that most people don't care about, but I have very little tolerance for emulation issues. I only run my retro consoles on an actual CRT (even when I had an HDTV with Game Mode) because it looks wrong on a flatscreen.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106152 on: July 17, 2016, 05:26:35 pm »

it looks wrong on a flatscreen.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I know a few games that simulate a CRT monitor, but then again those are games that try to emulate a certain style rather than emulators that are trying to emulate games.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106153 on: July 17, 2016, 06:03:49 pm »

FFT, for example, gets some garbage in the dialog boxes (lines, pixellation, etc) and a few of the special effects don't display properly. They're minor issues that most people don't care about, but I have very little tolerance for emulation issues. I only run my retro consoles on an actual CRT (even when I had an HDTV with Game Mode) because it looks wrong on a flatscreen.

Check around the emulator settings. There might be a fix for some of those.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106154 on: July 17, 2016, 09:04:29 pm »

I can never finish a game on an emulator,  except I once beat Pokemon Crystal. I just don't have as much motivation for some reason.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 7075 7076 [7077] 7078 7079 ... 11037