Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7025 7026 [7027] 7028 7029 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443121 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105390 on: July 04, 2016, 04:56:52 am »

I downloaded a mod called proper hardness the other day for exactly this reason.

It has a difficulty named "Dwarf fortress"

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play.
Be funny if it was accurate to the game - out-of-booze riots cause fatalities, emergency services go to parties instead of dealing with crises, and farms produce enough food for ten cities on their own.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #105391 on: July 04, 2016, 05:09:41 am »

It isn't, sadly.

It's just everything has really high upkeep costs, among other things.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105392 on: July 04, 2016, 06:45:43 am »

Well I finally played Cities Skylines AND!!! (no need to necro a thread)

Surprisingly easy after I played the heck out of the SimCity games. As long as you don't do anything stupid, you should be ok... and I should state I am not good at SimCity and rarely have successful runs.

And I was playing really "No pollution!" for quite some time. So I essentially did it with my hands tied around my back for most of it... AND with a tourism based economy that I couldn't get tourists for (so I was wasting money at the same time).

Maybe there is a difficulty setting but, it was... too easy. I know that if this was SimCity I'd be suffering from just the collapse of my city centers with the way I was playing.

Though maybe it is like playing the good guy in Tropico 4. REALLY easy... but playing the bad guy is possible but actually a bit more of a challenge. And If I actually was a polluting villain I might have a bit more of a challenge.

How did you keep traffic smooth? One-way streets help some, but whenever I try to make a city that resembles anything realistic (instead of micro-cities clustered around off-ramps) I wind up collapsing under the load of traffic. It is not so much the amount of traffic on the road as much as it is the fact that every intersection is a 4-way stop that winds up paralyzing my roads, leading to the power plants running out of fuel, keeping the fire department from responding to fires in time, and causing dead people and/or garbage to pile sky-high.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105393 on: July 04, 2016, 06:47:51 am »

I just made a grid of normal roads.

I can share my save.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105394 on: July 04, 2016, 06:57:46 am »

How did you keep traffic smooth? One-way streets help some, but whenever I try to make a city that resembles anything realistic (instead of micro-cities clustered around off-ramps) I wind up collapsing under the load of traffic. It is not so much the amount of traffic on the road as much as it is the fact that every intersection is a 4-way stop that winds up paralyzing my roads, leading to the power plants running out of fuel, keeping the fire department from responding to fires in time, and causing dead people and/or garbage to pile sky-high.
Are there no traffic lights/roundabouts? That's a bit of an oversight.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105395 on: July 04, 2016, 07:07:48 am »

There's roundabouts, which take up far too much space to use for every intersection, and you have no control over traffic lights. Traffic will stop at every intersection, so the basic grid pattern I usually try to use winds up turning into a logjam.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105396 on: July 04, 2016, 07:10:06 am »

Apparently there's no elevated highways, either. This means that any traffic intersecting a highway will clog traffic.

This morning, I was eating my cereal when a small, sharp piece of it went right into the top of my mouth, right behind one of my teeth. The taste of blood does not go well with cereal.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105397 on: July 04, 2016, 07:23:43 am »

Apparently there's no elevated highways, either. This means that any traffic intersecting a highway will clog traffic.

I'm fairly certain you can use page up/down keys to elevate roads or even build tunnels under.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105398 on: July 04, 2016, 07:33:17 am »

Yeah. That does help a lot. Still takes up a lot of space and messes up your zoning, though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105399 on: July 04, 2016, 09:18:15 am »

Yeah IIRC cities-skylines has a really broken road-AI, making roundabouts completely useless without mods.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #105400 on: July 04, 2016, 09:57:00 am »

Pathfinding is shit in Skylines. It just takes the shortest road which basically means you need a really efficient main road since that's all the go to.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105401 on: July 04, 2016, 10:09:20 am »

My friends and I were struggling badly to decide on a movie to watch. One friend was scrolling through the library as the rest of us sat around watching, offering suggestions that ranged from half-hearted to entirely sarcastic, with the occasional serious one thrown in as well.

Seeing as it was taking a long, long time, I went to the bathroom to have myself a bowel movement (I told them not to wait for me, although I somewhat doubted they'd have made a decision by the time I returned), I take my time in there, read a bit of a book as I hear the sounds of a movie start up elsewhere in the house, then finally return to the loungroom only to find that they're watching... Transformers. Yeah, Transformers. The latest in the series of those absolutely godsfuckingawful modern Transformers movies.

I expressed my bewilderment, frowned my concern, bottled up my disgust and left the room.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105402 on: July 04, 2016, 10:10:40 am »

Watching ridiculous movies with friends is great tho, since you can all make fun of it together :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #105403 on: July 04, 2016, 10:11:44 am »

Well it's easy to reach consensus about something if the subject of your interest is undeniably shit.

Ninja'd
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105404 on: July 04, 2016, 10:15:05 am »

Dude you added your input to the selection.
Your input was a bowel movement.

Ergo, Transformers.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 7025 7026 [7027] 7028 7029 ... 11040