Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7016 7017 [7018] 7019 7020 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455768 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105255 on: July 01, 2016, 08:48:17 pm »

True, the best measure of morality is whether it fits in the database.
So many freakin time systems and name traditions.  Internationally speaking, dates and names are surely the greatest of humanity's sins.

Plus all the other stuff that's worse, obviously.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105256 on: July 01, 2016, 08:49:01 pm »

I kind of assume someone's straight if they come across as apathetic to nonstandard relationships, but then I just remembered you did link that essay ages ago.

I just personally feel that apathy is the norm.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105257 on: July 01, 2016, 08:51:12 pm »

True, the best measure of morality is whether it fits in the database.
So many freakin time systems and name traditions.  Internationally speaking, dates and names are surely the greatest of humanity's sins.

Plus all the other stuff that's worse, obviously.

names are a sin

actually, 100% serious, do you know how many times i've had to sign up with the name "Putnam ." (since I use just "Putnam" for basically everything that isn't tied to the government or likely to be)

I kind of assume someone's straight if they come across as apathetic to nonstandard relationships, but then I just remembered you did link that essay ages ago.

How d'you mean apathetic? I'm apathetic to polygamy but only as apathetic as I am to monogamy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:53:00 pm by Putnam »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105258 on: July 01, 2016, 08:55:18 pm »

By "standard" I mean a cisgendered heterosexual couple. Which, due to their utility in reproduction and thus transfer of culture, is the most popular.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105259 on: July 01, 2016, 08:59:53 pm »

...Oh, wow. I feel... sheltered, somehow?? Because when I heard "standard" I thought "two people in a relationship", no gender even came to mind.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105260 on: July 01, 2016, 09:01:31 pm »

... today I learned that it is apaprently rather frustratingly difficult to get google play to work on either a kindle or to get it to just let me goddamn download the apk onto my computer and deal with things from there.

Google. Google. Why don't you want my money? I get some of this is amazon's fault but for the love of fornication every minute I deal with this is another minute closer to saying fuckit and addressing this problem through alternate means. And it's a problem that could have been trivially solved by just... not having to associate a device to their service.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #105261 on: July 01, 2016, 09:06:21 pm »

...Oh, wow. I feel... sheltered, somehow?? Because when I heard "standard" I thought "two people in a relationship", no gender even came to mind.
Not sure if sarcasm.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105262 on: July 01, 2016, 09:11:42 pm »

To be absolutely honest, I personally... emphasis on personally... think that everybody is on a homosexual spectrum.
But as someone who (after a period of difficulty, despite relative support from friends and family) is bisexual (almost entirely homo)...  Who am I to say.

I do like to think that everyone is a bit homosexual, but that's still likely to be wishful thinking of someone who IS on the spectrum.  I haven't studied it because fuck that who has the time to care that much?
Greater minds than mine have tried.

Plus I really don't care if "normies" are at all homosexual or not, and if they admit to a small degree of homosexuality...  That doesn't mean shit, it's just them exercising a bit of imagination.
"IF you were gay, who would you-" is a instrument of acceptance.  Doesn't mean anything more than that.

It's infinitely more important that people stop treating homosexuality as a problem, than that they adopt some theory where everyone is some degree of homosexual.

... today I learned that it is apaprently rather frustratingly difficult to get google play to work on either a kindle or to get it to just let me goddamn download the apk onto my computer and deal with things from there.

Google. Google. Why don't you want my money? I get some of this is amazon's fault but for the love of fornication every minute I deal with this is another minute closer to saying fuckit and addressing this problem through alternate means. And it's a problem that could have been trivially solved by just... not having to associate a device to their service.
Uh, okay look I don't know.  My dad talks a lot, and knows, but I'm not going to ask-
It's a Kindle (r)...  My understanding is that Amazon stripped the Google stuff in order to support their proprietary app store and everything else.

Again, I don't know and I have a problem with finding out, but,
You need to root that shit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105263 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:26 pm »

Not sure if sarcasm.

No, not at all. Polygamy was the first thing that came to mind when I heard "nonstandard" and that's only because people don't seem to consider it at all, even in fiction.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #105264 on: July 01, 2016, 09:20:56 pm »

Not sure if sarcasm.

No, not at all. Polygamy was the first thing that came to mind when I heard "nonstandard" and that's only because people don't seem to consider it at all, even in fiction.
Oh, okay, thanks. From here it sounded like you were trying to say something else. :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105265 on: July 01, 2016, 09:21:24 pm »

Polygamy would be really boring in fiction unless you're Geralt of Rivia.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105266 on: July 01, 2016, 09:21:56 pm »

Ugh, I have to go and vote today. Finding out actual information on the parties (and which ones are available in my area) is a colossal pain in the arse.
Also I have to walk to some nearby school to vote. There will doubtless be a heap of people there and some of them might even try and speak to me. This is crossing into Terrified Thread territory, so... well. Working this stuff out is confusing. At least I have until 6PM to vote.

Fakeedit: Stop ninja'ing me, you bastards. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105267 on: July 01, 2016, 09:23:15 pm »

I don't mean the dumb weird "polygamy=one man married to many women" thing, I mean the general idea of polyamory. That's the word I was looking for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105268 on: July 01, 2016, 09:23:39 pm »

Uh, okay look I don't know.  My dad talks a lot, and knows, but I'm not going to ask-
It's a Kindle (r)...  My understanding is that Amazon stripped the Google stuff in order to support their proprietary app store and everything else.

Again, I don't know and I have a problem with finding out, but,
You need to root that shit.
Yeah, the kindle thing was amazon being a shit -- part of the reason I haven't registered this device with 'em. The PC thing's google being an idiot, though. There's ways around it that don't involve rooting the kindle, it's just a hell of a lot more effort than I should be expending on this.

E: I'm still going to do it, at this point more out of spite than anything, but still.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:31:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105269 on: July 01, 2016, 09:27:49 pm »

I don't mean the dumb weird "polygamy=one man married to many women" thing, I mean the general idea of polyamory. That's the word I was looking for.
I'd say that would be because of the naïve idea of love being something sacred and complicated that is ingrained in popular culture would have trouble reconciling with polyamory's tendency to share in importance.

tl;dr: americans

Pages: 1 ... 7016 7017 [7018] 7019 7020 ... 11040