Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7001 7002 [7003] 7004 7005 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14465014 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105030 on: June 27, 2016, 02:16:52 pm »

Making a character based on you is not a terrible idea. after all we're all individuals with some character to us right?
The problems start when you try forcibly enhancing "yourself" (because we're all cool and special right?) because you want to be "cool" and kinda ending up like sonic the hedgehog.
Trying too hard and ending up as the polar opposite of cool with a mary sue asswipe of a character.

Yeah don't get me wrong theres a lot of shit like that.

But I've also seen pretty decent examples as well.

*Pokes everyone with a big sign that says 'Go check out Spacebattles and SufficientVelocity'*
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105031 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:27 pm »

Eh.
I've never made a character based on me, and never will, because I've never seen it done well. I've looked at things I was told were good SI, but never found 'em good.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #105032 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:00 pm »

Making a character based on you is not a terrible idea. after all we're all individuals with some character to us right?
The problems start when you try forcibly enhancing "yourself" (because we're all cool and special right?) because you want to be "cool" and kinda ending up like sonic the hedgehog.
Trying too hard and ending up as the polar opposite of cool with a mary sue asswipe of a character.
A trend I've seen a lot is something sort of like this, but a byproduct of the author's utterly deflated self-esteem and an attempt to make them seem like a worse person than they actually are. They make a character who is them, but has some kind of element to them that shoots them into "awful" territory (the most common one I've seen is where it's them but they go out of their way to verbally lash out at people and make snide comments to peoples' faces.)

When this isn't just the author trying to make themselves seem like a worse person than they actually are, it's usually a specific attempt to not create a Mary Sue (and in the process, creating one who's just as bad--it's still an idealized version of the author, it's just not one other people like.) These characters are arguably even more common than traditional Mary Sues (in fact, the archetypal Sue, Ebony "Enoby" "TaEbory" Dark'ness Dementia Raven TARA Way nut Mary Su OK, has elements of this; the author repeatedly makes claims the character isn't a Sue because they're, variously, depressed, suicidal, or has a tragic backstory that's never expanded upon, but because the author glorifies these things, it arguably makes the character even more of a Sue than if they weren't.)

The delicate balance of creating a self-insert isn't worth it, really; you have to have quite a bit of self-control to stop the character from straying into either Sue or Anti-Sue territory, and for what? Writing yourself? Is that honestly worth taking such painstaking measures to prevent it from becoming a power fantasy? The one place I'd say it's worth it is if you're deliberately trying to poke fun at self-inserts.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105033 on: June 27, 2016, 05:46:44 pm »

Chapter 1: A Hurried Resolution

It didn't take me too long to realize I wasn't in my own universe.

It took me even less time to resolve to avoid adventure, conflict, danger, and/or the main characters entirely, for the sake of my health.
~~~
And that, not the pain of avoiding sue-ness, is why I don't think I'm going to write a self-insert any time soon. Because it would likely be boring as all heck.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105034 on: June 27, 2016, 06:04:12 pm »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105035 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »

god /r/futurology is by far my least favorite subreddit

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105036 on: June 27, 2016, 06:42:07 pm »

Even r/shitstatistssay hates it
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105037 on: June 27, 2016, 09:13:09 pm »

Yeah don't get me wrong theres a lot of shit like that.

But I've also seen pretty decent examples as well.

*Pokes everyone with a big sign that says 'Go check out Spacebattles and SufficientVelocity'*

Mm, there are some good SI writers. And the harsh criticism is usually enough to keep anything worse than boring away. The key's to make sure to shit on your SI more than canon does on canon characters.

And usually the good ones are really damn good, and the bad ones are obvious enough to steer clear of. Anything that begins with the predictable freakout and internal monologue is usually an easy skip. The Robert Baratheon one that's running right now has an interesting approach in which the author never writes from the perspective of the SI, and it's a good story besides.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105038 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:36 pm »

I think there's like no FoZ there at all now. Currently it is all about self-inserts and Worm. Like, holy shit do they have a LOT of self-insert fanfiction over here now. It's positively ridiculous.
Nah, there's a few ZnT fics still being updated on SB. Think there's a couple other ones on SV, too. They've definitely cut way back, though.

And yeah, lots of SIs. Considering it mostly seems due to TA/Supcom/PA fics, I can accept that :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105039 on: June 27, 2016, 09:27:16 pm »

It would be really nice if I were able to install more than one fucking app on my phone, but the preinstalled shitware takes up nearly the entire internal storage, and pretty much any app I want to use refuses to install to SD.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105040 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:01 pm »

...Generally I've seen rooting phones as a cool and novel but ultimately unnecessary passtime.  Maybe because a friend of mine likes to talk about it a lot.

But you really might want to look into it.  That's ridiculous.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #105041 on: June 27, 2016, 10:59:35 pm »

It would be really nice if I were able to install more than one fucking app on my phone, but the preinstalled shitware takes up nearly the entire internal storage, and pretty much any app I want to use refuses to install to SD.

Root and link2sd are your friends.

Also, if you disable the pre-installed bloatware, they don't take up user space.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105042 on: June 27, 2016, 11:33:23 pm »

Re:SV: shills The Last Angel
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105043 on: June 27, 2016, 11:42:37 pm »

*Relentlessly shills SV's threadmarking controls*
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105044 on: June 27, 2016, 11:48:29 pm »

She/they
Pages: 1 ... 7001 7002 [7003] 7004 7005 ... 11040