Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6997 6998 [6999] 7000 7001 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467912 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #104970 on: June 26, 2016, 08:16:52 pm »

Francis is a conciliarist, which is to say his position is one of decentralization, giving more power to the individual priest in a manner not dissimilar from the orthodox christians. Most popes tend to go in the opposite direction.

On heresy: according to the doctrine of the Catholic Church, heresy is having practices that are not of the Catholic (Universal) Church and saying they are the correct ones. So protestants are heretics. Orthodox (and maybe coptic?) christians get called schismatics instead because most differences are political. People who leave the religion are apostates.
Ahh, thank you.

Catholic Church does not into thoughtcrime.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104971 on: June 26, 2016, 08:21:55 pm »

Everyone's a little bit heretic.
I'm just the weirder shade of heretic

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #104972 on: June 26, 2016, 08:25:59 pm »

Francis is a conciliarist, which is to say his position is one of decentralization, giving more power to the individual priest in a manner not dissimilar from the orthodox christians. Most popes tend to go in the opposite direction.

On heresy: according to the doctrine of the Catholic Church, heresy is having practices that are not of the Catholic (Universal) Church and saying they are the correct ones. So protestants are heretics. Orthodox (and maybe coptic?) christians get called schismatics instead because most differences are political. People who leave the religion are apostates.
Ahh, thank you.

Catholic Church does not into thoughtcrime.

It does punish for silly reasons though. Like divorce.

Let us not go down this road, prob'ly not the thread for it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104973 on: June 26, 2016, 08:43:47 pm »

Christian, even if he is Catholic.
::)

I guess the Church functions kinda like Lenin's Democratic Centralism: You may discuss all you like, but when a decision has been reached you need to go along with it. Not that many anti-Catholics care to do research on the Church anyway... I still think it's funny that the Inquisition is treated as the incarnation of everything that was wrong with the Middle Ages, for example.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104974 on: June 26, 2016, 08:45:14 pm »

Sorry, that was a joke :P. REMOVE PAPIST
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104975 on: June 26, 2016, 08:50:16 pm »

I guess the Church functions kinda like Lenin's Democratic Centralism: You may discuss all you like, but when a decision has been reached you need to go along with it. Not that many anti-Catholics care to do research on the Church anyway... I still think it's funny that the Inquisition is treated as the incarnation of everything that was wrong with the Middle Ages, for example.
To continue this derail a bit, I like how the inquisition is always depicted wrong. For starters, they didn't go for non-christians. In fact, they couldn't. They could only investigate and detain catholic (and/or heretical christians). This was actually used as a weapon against converted jews/muslims in portuguese colonies as a way to get rid of business rivals. They also could not kill or shed blood. Fire was used for a short while, but since it often leads to some bleeding it was banned. However, the Church was infallible, so if someone did not confess... well, they just got detained forever. If they did confess, they got handed over to secular authorities who handled the execution. And for how feared the spanish inquisition was, it wasn't because of their fanatical devotion to the Pope (though it may have been due to fear and surprise) because inquisitors were all appointed by the monarchs.

I suppose I should post sources for all this, but I'm not sure many people will care or would even look at them. If you want some sources PM me, I guess.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104976 on: June 26, 2016, 08:55:23 pm »

I'd be interested in that stuff, but I can't be bothered clicking a handful more times to get a PM to you :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104977 on: June 26, 2016, 08:56:34 pm »

I'd be interested in that stuff, but I can't be bothered clicking a handful more times to get a PM to you :P
Hey, copy me on that, would you?  ;P

I'm honestly rather intrigued.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104978 on: June 26, 2016, 08:58:57 pm »

I'll make a note to send them to you. Got to read a text in medieval spanish right now while having a cold, and I hate everything about it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104979 on: June 26, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »

Aww.  *hugpats*

Thanks.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104980 on: June 26, 2016, 09:02:52 pm »

They also could not kill or shed blood. Fire was used for a short while, but since it often leads to some bleeding it was banned.
That reminds me of that idea that clerics use maces to avoid bloodshed in (I think) early versions of DND.
I think that's part of the reason why the WH40K Inquisition and Adeptas Sororitas use fire so much, too, a rule against shedding blood on Holy Terra.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104981 on: June 26, 2016, 09:08:29 pm »

I'll make a note to send them to you. Got to read a text in medieval spanish right now while having a cold, and I hate everything about it.

Cheers dude. Feel better soon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104982 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »

Friend's Mom has fallen very ill.  To the point where she is likely going to need nursing assistance for the rest of her life.  It is a four person house, owned by him (he tried to move out to get away from his family, but his mom came with and as the other members of the family came into financial trouble they moved in with him at his mother's insistence)

Biggest problem is that his mom was half the income.  His sister has not had a job and has not even been seeking a job since she moved in with him 3 years ago.  His niece, has never worked a day in her life, and is not budging from keeping it that way. She is 28, so even if she did start looking she's not likely to find anyone who would hire a 30 year old with no work experience.

And according to my friend his mother and father(who thankfully does not live with them) encouraged it.  Whenever he brought it up he was told to let it be.   Also according to him they are refusing to speak about money, insurance, and they won't even help out with their mom/grandma despite being in the house all day with noplace else to be, forcing him to call off from work twice in the last 4 days.  They claim that they are still too traumatized about the whole thing, 5 days after the hospital visit.

How does a family get so dysfunctional?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:29:20 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104983 on: June 26, 2016, 10:33:00 pm »

I'm a heretical Reformed Christian, ferex, because I don't believe in the six-day creation.

Neither does Pope Francis or the catholic church in general for many, many years now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104984 on: June 26, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »

Yeah, obviously he did it in five. Why else would we have Saturday off?
Pages: 1 ... 6997 6998 [6999] 7000 7001 ... 11037