Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6953 6954 [6955] 6956 6957 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471935 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #104310 on: June 15, 2016, 08:18:30 pm »

Having a rule of engagement for war is kind of retarded anyways. The only sort of war that should be tolerated is civil war, and local law enforcement.

I wish everyone thought this way. It would make world conquest ever so much easier.

Abolishing war is a pipe dream - there has been war as long as there has been people, and war will end only when people do. What you can do is lessen the impact of war. Poison gas is a powerful weapon if only one side has it, but if both sides are throwing it around it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to the final result, and just makes the lives of everyone worse. Shooting up medics? One side has the advantage of better medical care for the wounded, if both sides are doing it it just makes a bigger KIA list and sows hatred. Disguising weapon or troop movments as civilians? Now both sides have to slaughter anyone they see to keep from being at a decisive disadvantage. So we sit down at a conference table and say "these are the things we have agreed not to do, the weapons we agree not to use, and the targets we will abstain from hitting. Anyone who violates this agreement forfeits the protection."

The sense of this can be seen in WWII. On the Western Front, both sides mostly fought a clean war militarily - there were some violations on both sides, and reprisals for those violations, but on the whole the laws of war were adhered to -if sometimes by the thinnest of margins, and the side with the most and best equipment and logistics won. On the Eastern Front, where Hitler threw out the rulebook from the beginning, and in the Pacific where the Empire of Japan publicly spat on the idea of having a rulebook, it was a war to the knife, fought with a brutality that still shocks the world... and the side with the most and best equipment and logistics won.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104311 on: June 15, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »

Yes but in all fairness Reelya. If you did do 1-10. You would definitely be a Shoujo protagonist.

Though... it sounds like you would be an incredibly boring person.

Yeah, the guy just had the genders flipped. Maybe he doesn't know what the word shoujo means in this context.

It's a pretty crap show, but the episodes are short: Diabolik Lovers exemplifies the reverse harem of abusive rich dudes that's fairly common in shoujo. Basically, an average girl is enslaved by a mansion full of rich young vampire dudes who all have "emotional issues", and look like a visual kei style boy band. I think the Western equivalent would be a show where an emo band such as Good Charlotte are vampires, and the main character is a girl trapped in their mansion where they all want to suck her blood. Then she escapes from that mansion in season two, but gets captured by Vampire My Chemical Romance in their mansion. Yeah, this is the actual plot of Diabolik Lovers, more or less.

And... oddly close to the plot of My Immortal...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104312 on: June 15, 2016, 08:33:58 pm »

Work and Income wants me to... go on a six-week military course? What?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104313 on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:02 pm »

You idiots are both wrong, the real animu life must go like this.

1-Be super strong senpai with HUEG sword because your adoptive father abused you;
2-Buddy up bishounen lifelong partner manboy thing. Have huge homosexual tension moments;
3-Hook up with boyish tsundere 2nd in comand girl, make her into your waifu;
4-Lose all friends and nearly lose waifu because bishounen leader summoned all the satans and becomes super satan;
5-Swear revenge as your waifu becomes retarded bcuz of hellsecks;
6-Find HUEGEST SWORD EVER, go around hunting for all the satans;
7-Everyone lusts for you now because you're the super hueg sword man;
8-Stay in hiatus forever because the artist is a huge weirdo;

Aw yiss.

That's the most shonen description of Berserk that I've ever seen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104314 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:10 pm »

We have the opposite problem. WINZ wants everyone to do all the training they possibly can, even if it's completely inappropriate for the person.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104315 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »

That's... extremely stupid and harmful. What sense does that make?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104316 on: June 15, 2016, 08:51:46 pm »

I was hoping Strike Witches would be fun and predictable, but it turned out to be fun and predictable and constant loli upskirts.
I'm not saying that's inherently bad (my friends think its funny, and I like all sorts of weird stuff) but it just makes me too uncomfortable ):

Obviously there are lots of anime that keep that shit to a minimum though, or maybe even don't do it at all??
like yaoi probably, I should check
They literally have no pants (they have magitech flying engine things instead), its not like its gonna be surprising things like that happen.
That's a bad excuse. Sailor Moon characters had no pants, too, and also wear ultra-short skirts
Missing the point. In the strike witches universe they don't have skirts - those are included when people say it's the "no pants" anime specifically. Specific camera angles and the like don't even need to be much different to any other show, really. You're going to see underpants in any scene in Strike Witches no matter how they frame it, just like skirts appear in any scene of Sailor Moon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:02:42 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #104317 on: June 15, 2016, 09:03:56 pm »

I was hoping Strike Witches would be fun and predictable, but it turned out to be fun and predictable and constant loli upskirts.
I'm not saying that's inherently bad (my friends think its funny, and I like all sorts of weird stuff) but it just makes me too uncomfortable ):

Obviously there are lots of anime that keep that shit to a minimum though, or maybe even don't do it at all??
like yaoi probably, I should check
They literally have no pants (they have magitech flying engine things instead), its not like its gonna be surprising things like that happen.
That's a bad excuse. Sailor Moon characters had no pants, too, and also wear ultra-short skirts
Missing the point. In the strike witches universe they never invented pants or skirts, short or otherwise.

I don't recall anything of that sort being established. The fan theory I've seen, which makes no small amount of sense, is that the Witches dress that way for practical reasons relating to their Striker Units, and women elsewhere adopted the style because by virtue of the Witches being mankind's only hope against the alien invader they have become a symbol of empowerment.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104318 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:45 pm »

Well the point is that their outfit has briefs on the bottom, not pants or a skirt. So it's not a case that it's comparable to Sailor Moon lacking "upskirt" shots. They could frame every shot the same as Sailor Moon and there would still be underpants in every scene.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:08:18 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104319 on: June 15, 2016, 09:08:27 pm »

I don't recall anything of that sort being established. The fan theory I've seen, which makes no small amount of sense, is that the Witches dress that way for practical reasons relating to their Striker Units, and women elsewhere adopted the style because by virtue of the Witches being mankind's only hope against the alien invader they have become a symbol of empowerment.
Haha really?  I only saw the pilot, I didn't expect them to actually address and justify the universally tiny hemlines.
That makes it... better?  I guess?
Though the camera was definitely going after the awkward shots on purpose so not really.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #104320 on: June 15, 2016, 09:09:11 pm »

It's a few years into the war in the first series, IIRC. Plenty of time for any such impact to take place, and I can easily see the folks in charge of uniforms for the exact group of people that they're drawing the Witches from (witches in that universe drop drastically in magical power after reaching maturity, so they need early teen girls for their war) modeling the uniforms on what the Witches wear.

This is all fan speculation anyway, as they never establish it in the show. Makes sense, though.

EDIT: I was wrong. This appears to actually be the official explanation given in the supplemental material. They generally can't wear pants while flying, because their legs are in an alternate dimension while they're wearing their flight unit, and idolization is why it spread to most women.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:16:23 pm by Lord Shonus »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104321 on: June 15, 2016, 09:17:00 pm »

If 'normal' is putting up with all of that crap, I'd rather be an aberration.

'Cause living like that is an aberration. It's fucking wrong. People should not live with that. Being beaten is not normal. Being raped is not normal. It's not fucking brand new shampoo.

It's fucked.
I hear you. I don't have much to say, but this little bit that I do have is very important...

"Don't give up"

It may sound a bit corny, but the cynicism we see everywhere is not good for the world. It's important to be skeptical of corporations, but a mindset of cynicism tends to lend itself to a mindset of inaction, which just allows those problems to happen. We need people who are still willing to fight the good fight, and although you may not change the whole world on your own, you may change a small part of it in a small way. And that, would be worth it...

NINJAED (By a lot actually. Holy, this took a long time to write)

And everyone thinks it is. But the people who want to change it don't know where to start. "Change starts with you" becomes tiring quickly when being you realize being a good person in a community doesn't affect anything outside, and the effect within is marginal. Two Bay12ers I speak to have different opinions on it, but I can't remember either of them telling me where to start changing things, and thoughts related to why neither of them have an answer really hurt my idealism, but I brush it off because the state of things is intolerable.

Well, I fell a bit silly for writing the stuff above because this paragraph essentially grills me, but I still stand by what I say. My personal recommendation though would be to read the biographies of famous charity people such as Martin Luther King Jr. , Gandhi, and Craig Kielburger. They may not have fixed all the problems in the world, but they made a difference. Then again, I have no idea how far you can go without leadership skills.

Even if you don't have leadership skills, still don't give up. Even though you may not be able to change the world, we will never run out of Kielburgers. Eventually, someone will step in and make the world a better place, then someone else will step in and make the world an even better place, and this cycle will continue until the world becomes a place you are happy with.

Maybe that sounds really corny, so let me counter that with a bit of cynicism. The world will never be perfect. In your lifetime the world won't even be good (depending on how you feel about it). This is a fundamental truth that you will have to accept. This isn't anything new, people have had to deal with this fact for generations. For example, think of the people who will lament the technologies they never got to live to see. But they managed to carry on and enjoy life regardless. Even though you may not live to see the world meet your standard of good, you will live to see it become better.

For some of you out there, that last sentence may be very hard to believe. What about the greedy banks taking over america, what about the over-saturated job market, what about the coming of the new gilded age? As the Internet grows, so does the awareness of the crimes these banks commit, and even the banks themselves know that if awareness of them spreads, then they won't be able to continue their activities (as long as we live in a democracy that is). For the job market, I don't have any answers (I guess the cost of having lots of unemployed youth will eventually outweigh the costs of fixing the job crisis?). For the new gilded age, the old gilded age lasted only 30 years. There is no reason why this one would be longer (especially with the internet).

Anyway, now that the cynical people have been addressed, let's go back to the world becoming better. If you are in the right state of mind and look around you, you will see that the world is becoming a better place. Technology is constantly improving, crime rates are falling (except sex-crimes unfortunately, from what I've seen we haven't successfully figured out mental health awareness yet), we are getting closer to gender and race equality, and much more. If you look at history, you will notice a trend towards the world getting better, minus a few bumps in the way (Soviet Union, Nazi regime, Crusades, Black death, late adoption of the steam engine by several millennia).

So what do you do about the problems that still exist? This is gonna become personal and philosophical and not backed by much evidence anymore, so bear with me. My personal attitude is this, do whatever you can to help with these problems, but accept the fact that you can't make them go away completely (especially if you don't have leadership skills). Even though it may be easier to give up, don't because you just become part of the problem. You have to learn to see the beauty that world exists in the world now (rather than focus on the beauty that isn't there yet), as well as to accept its flaws.

Anyway, that's mostly all I wanted to say. Perhaps its corny and maybe you don't agree with the final paragraph, but ultimately it's your decision about to choose the way you see the world. Maybe you see the world as more nuanced than I do and if so, go ahead!

Sorry for the Wall-of-text. Feel free to debate with me in the comments.

Quote from: Harry Baldman's Life Begins at Death
Live to fight oppression from the shadows!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104322 on: June 15, 2016, 09:18:57 pm »

For reference, Strike Witches was completely based on a series of illustrations by artist Fumikane Shimada. Any official explanation of what they are or why they look like that is post-hoc to explain the stylistic choices of the art, which merely fuses girls + WWII planes.

He is responsible for character designs for:

Sky Girls
Strike Witches
Girls and Panzer
Kantai Collection
Mecha Musume (figurine series)
Busou Shinki (figurine series and anime)

Which should explain a few things. They all have pretty similar shit going on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:24:05 pm by Reelya »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104323 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:58 pm »

Speaking of -deres, https://www.quotev.com/quiz/7843231/Which-Dere-Are-You-ACCURATE

I got "deredere" :V

Have we done this before?
Kuudere. Huh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104324 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:05 pm »

Which should explain a few things. They all have pretty similar shit going on.
Girls und Panzer has a lot less cameltoe and pantyshots. Especially compared to strike witches.
At least so i heard.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 6953 6954 [6955] 6956 6957 ... 11037