Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6952 6953 [6954] 6955 6956 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471870 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #104295 on: June 15, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »

Aren't most of those harem animes started out as VNs? Then they cram all the girls character arcs that should had led them being the one true love but ends up the guy looking like an indecisive wuss.

Or they decided who is best girl from the get go but still try to jam in all the other girls character arcs.

Even when that is the case typically they still chose one.

Cordo La Cordon came from a Harem game where the female lead could chose any of the guys. Yet in the anime her pick was pretty much predestined from the first episode.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104296 on: June 15, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »

I was hoping Strike Witches would be fun and predictable, but it turned out to be fun and predictable and constant loli upskirts.
I'm not saying that's inherently bad (my friends think its funny, and I like all sorts of weird stuff) but it just makes me too uncomfortable ):

Obviously there are lots of anime that keep that shit to a minimum though, or maybe even don't do it at all??
like yaoi probably, I should check
They literally have no pants (they have magitech flying engine things instead), its not like its gonna be surprising things like that happen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104297 on: June 15, 2016, 05:53:36 pm »

I was hoping Strike Witches would be fun and predictable, but it turned out to be fun and predictable and constant loli upskirts.
I'm not saying that's inherently bad (my friends think its funny, and I like all sorts of weird stuff) but it just makes me too uncomfortable ):

Obviously there are lots of anime that keep that shit to a minimum though, or maybe even don't do it at all??
like yaoi probably, I should check
They literally have no pants (they have magitech flying engine things instead), its not like its gonna be surprising things like that happen.
That's a bad excuse. Sailor Moon characters had no pants, too, and also wear ultra-short skirts, and guess what, they've somehow managed to avoid this stupid fetishistic crap. The only reason why this stuff happens now is because modern anime caters to the crowd of people with too much money, too little sense of quality and a lot of fetishes directing their buying choices.
._.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104298 on: June 15, 2016, 06:00:28 pm »

Sailor Moon is also not about flying. But I know thats hardly much of a argument.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104299 on: June 15, 2016, 06:08:30 pm »

And the tank witches are obviously superior with their mecha legs anyways.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104300 on: June 15, 2016, 07:04:23 pm »

Wow, we are getting close to where we honestly should just have a Dahir Insaat thread. They are all marvels of horridness.

Ohh as I found out (thanks Retsupurae) the whole disguising weapons as fruit trucks? War Crime.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104301 on: June 15, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »

Dunno why I'm surprised anymore. I discovered today that I'm probably an idealist. 'Cause when I hear about these people beating, insulting, raping people, I'm always surprised and get so angry about it. Somehow, I think that people shouldn't do those things, that those things shouldn't happen, and I get so so SO pissed off. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'd rather be angry, though. That shit ain't normal. If 'normal' is putting up with all of that crap, I'd rather be an aberration.

'Cause living like that is an aberration. It's fucking wrong. People should not live with that. Being beaten is not normal. Being raped is not normal. It's not fucking brand new shampoo.

It's fucked.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104302 on: June 15, 2016, 07:51:53 pm »

It's fucking wrong. People should not live with that.
+1
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104303 on: June 15, 2016, 07:56:14 pm »

Wow, we are getting close to where we honestly should just have a Dahir Insaat thread. They are all marvels of horridness.

Ohh as I found out (thanks Retsupurae) the whole disguising weapons as fruit trucks? War Crime.
Using fruit trucks to smuggle nukes used to be an actual thing, since X-rays are not permitted to be used on perishables. I'm not sure if the research on muon scanners which will supposedly sidestep that issue went anywhere.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104304 on: June 15, 2016, 07:57:42 pm »

How to be anime in three easy steps

If that doesn't suit you, here's how to be male in a shoujo anime:
  • Be a mild-mannered high school or college student between ages 16 and 21.
  • Try to keep to yourself.
  • Watch as no less than four attractive females (and probably one male as well) start lusting for you.
  • Do your best to ignore them.
  • Be showered in gifts as they compete for your affection.
  • Live the good life and lead them on but don't commit to anyone.
  • When you feel you've been pampered enough, have an intimate moment with the protagonist and commit to her.
  • Fall into limbo as the writer of your story is lynched by fans who were rooting for another character.
  • ????
  • Live happily ever after.

I think your sort of conflating shoujo with male-centric harem animes here. Shoujo don't really work like this, and I've seen a dozen+ shoujo animes and read 100+ shoujo mangas.

The formula in the typical shoujo that tend to get popular is that there is the average "everygirl" who somehow attracts the attention of the "popular guy" who is some combination of rich, handsome, intellectual, funny, suave, talented at sport and/or a great cook, or just all those things at once. They'll usually be a bit of a womanizer and much more experienced than the girl. Then, other rich handsome and suave dudes will inexplicably start fighting for the attention of said boring average girl (possibly justified in the plot because they want to one-up the other dude).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:02:46 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104305 on: June 15, 2016, 07:58:37 pm »

Yes but in all fairness Reelya. If you did do 1-10. You would definitely be a Shoujo protagonist.

Though... it sounds like you would be an incredibly boring person.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104306 on: June 15, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »

What if - some people don't care about the Geneva convention, and just want to kill some people for whatever reason?

snip
And everyone thinks it is. But the people who want to change it don't know where to start. "Change starts with you" becomes tiring quickly when being you realize being a good person in a community doesn't affect anything outside, and the effect within is marginal. Two Bay12ers I speak to have different opinions on it, but I can't remember either of them telling me where to start changing things, and thoughts related to why neither of them have an answer really hurt my idealism, but I brush it off because the state of things is intolerable. If you want things to change, find people who do, and search for the answer to the question of where to start changing things. Change starting with you is something I personally don't believe, but maybe having your idealism inspire people is the key to things? I dunno, but realizing idealism is a good revelation to have. Things can change, but it isn't as simple as getting up, going out, and changing the world.

I'd normally end this by saying something like "But what do I know, I'm just a kid", but maybe not being around long enough to be worn down by all of what's wrong and evil in the world is the key, since some events are just as likely to have people give up than they are to inspire people to get up and start trying to change things. I don't really want to say something cliche like "you can learn from kids", but it's just something to provoke some thoughts.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104307 on: June 15, 2016, 08:04:09 pm »

Yes but in all fairness Reelya. If you did do 1-10. You would definitely be a Shoujo protagonist.

Though... it sounds like you would be an incredibly boring person.

Yeah, the guy just had the genders flipped. Maybe he doesn't know what the word shoujo means in this context.

It's a pretty crap show, but the episodes are short: Diabolik Lovers exemplifies the reverse harem of abusive rich dudes that's fairly common in shoujo. Basically, an average girl is enslaved by a mansion full of rich young vampire dudes who all have "emotional issues", and look like a visual kei style boy band. I think the Western equivalent would be a show where an emo band such as Good Charlotte are vampires, and the main character is a girl trapped in their mansion where they all want to suck her blood. Then she escapes from that mansion in season two, but gets captured by Vampire My Chemical Romance in their mansion. Yeah, this is the actual plot of Diabolik Lovers, more or less.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:17:03 pm by Reelya »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104308 on: June 15, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »

Having a rule of engagement for war is kind of retarded anyways. The only sort of war that should be tolerated is civil war, and local law enforcement.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #104309 on: June 15, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »

Using fruit trucks to smuggle nukes used to be an actual thing, since X-rays are not permitted to be used on perishables. I'm not sure if the research on muon scanners which will supposedly sidestep that issue went anywhere.
I read that as fruit snacks and was very confused.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 6952 6953 [6954] 6955 6956 ... 11037