Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6947 6948 [6949] 6950 6951 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467328 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #104220 on: June 15, 2016, 12:02:22 am »

You've never heard of it before?

It's an RTS. It has 70% positive reviews on steam.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104221 on: June 15, 2016, 12:20:47 am »

This game
http://www.achrongame.com/site/index.php
Woah, what? How the hell do they pull that off?
They run several instances of game at the same time, plus an overarching engine to fit them together.

The multiplayer game strategy is quite borked, though. It mostly revolves around who manages to teleport units so far back in time that the enemy is unable to respond to a horde of units destroying their base. Most of the time, whoever does that wins.

Also, oh god the pathfinding is really atrocious. It's like, Warcraft 2 level of bad.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #104222 on: June 15, 2016, 12:25:35 am »

Which is unfortunate because the one thing you really need in a time travel RTS is units that don't need to be microed.

Still, I can see why they might not have had the system resources for effective pathfinding.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104223 on: June 15, 2016, 12:52:46 am »

Experimenters shook boxes in front of 30 domestic cats with and without an accompanying rattling sound. Some flipped boxes yielded a dropped object, the others did not.

Only two of the four scenarios -- a rattling box yielding an object and a silent box yielding nothing -- complied with physics. Rattling boxes without a falling object and silent boxes with a falling object both defied physics.

During the experiment, cats stared longer at rattling boxes, suggesting they rightly anticipated an object based on sound. They also stared longer when a flipped box yielded unexpected results -- results incongruent with the laws of physics.

I think I know what the cats were thinking:
We have found a witch! May we burn her?
I thought cats love witches, though?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104224 on: June 15, 2016, 12:52:56 am »

I still say darwinia has the worst pathfinding I've experienced
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104225 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:39 am »

On purpose... Who cares if the Darwinians are all supposed to be fully sentient creatures. :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104226 on: June 15, 2016, 01:18:52 am »

On purpose... Who cares if the Darwinians are all supposed to be fully sentient creatures. :P

Nono, it makes perfect sense. They're just too busy navel-gazing to watch where they're going. Not to mention the propensity of sentient creatures for getting lost  :P
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #104227 on: June 15, 2016, 06:08:18 am »

I'm starting to have strong suspicions my thesis advisor has even less of an idea on what's normal style and structure of it than I do.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104228 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:53 am »

Oh dear, that's quite bad. The worse thing you can have when writing an essay is a bad teacher. Is it too late to find another one?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104229 on: June 15, 2016, 07:23:28 am »

I'm starting to have strong suspicions my thesis advisor has even less of an idea on what's normal style and structure of it than I do.

The clear answer is to copy the style and structure of your best-received term papers if you have any good ones. It's what I did, with generally all right results (to be specific, my term paper style was my natural one and people seemed to like it).

I don't think style should be much of a problem if you've written a term paper or something like that anyway. And structure is standardized enough to be even easier to get down. As long as you don't neglect to put graphs to all of your tables like I did (fortunately corrected for the presentation when my thesis adviser, who had seen the thesis and presumably read it before, finally went 'you know what, this really needs some graphs') you should be perfectly all right.

Of course, this doesn't help that much if your thesis adviser is less on the 'not particularly involved' side of things and more the 'no no no, this is horseshit, simply unsalvageable' kind. No personal experience dealing with the latter, I'm afraid.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #104230 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:15 am »

The clear answer is to copy the style and structure of your best-received term papers if you have any good ones. It's what I did, with generally all right results (to be specific, my term paper style was my natural one and people seemed to like it).

I don't think style should be much of a problem if you've written a term paper or something like that anyway. And structure is standardized enough to be even easier to get down. As long as you don't neglect to put graphs to all of your tables like I did (fortunately corrected for the presentation when my thesis adviser, who had seen the thesis and presumably read it before, finally went 'you know what, this really needs some graphs') you should be perfectly all right.

Of course, this doesn't help that much if your thesis adviser is less on the 'not particularly involved' side of things and more the 'no no no, this is horseshit, simply unsalvageable' kind. No personal experience dealing with the latter, I'm afraid.
You know, there's some things in your post that are absolutely ironic considering that situation.

Term papers are... not really a thing in the strict sense. We've mostly been writing papers as reports, but a good part of them were collaborative, and an annoying chunk was graded on a 'fuck you, that's the grade, you don't get to know why' basis.

You'd think the structure was standardized, but I've been criticized for speculating about the possible explanation for my results in the discussion to suggest what to do with them, which, as far as I'm aware, is the entire point. And having included graphs with my tables from the get-go... I was told to drop the tables.

And style is far more of an issue of cryptic highlighted sentences with 'fix the style' comment and no indication of what's wrong with it as-is.

God, is it's frustrating.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104231 on: June 15, 2016, 10:25:49 am »

If in doubt, bring a sword with you.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104232 on: June 15, 2016, 10:30:00 am »

Ah, yes, "fix the style". Reminds me of when my reviewer wrote I had "stylistic and grammatical errors" and as an example mentioned a grammatically correct word. Maybe rewrite the paragraph from scratch while trying to be excessively formal?

And dropping tables is sound advice, really. They're not great for readability. And since it's the basic thesis, the truth is that you can do away with a lot of things you'd think were absolutely necessary for maximum scientific integrity (most common thing said by reviewers in my thesis defense: "maybe they didn't need to put all of that information in there, but you know, it's your choice").

Shame you don't have a proper term paper, though. Those are great. Frontload all that initial thesis stress into the second year when you are guaranteed to have no clue what you're doing. Makes you feel like a champ when you set out to do the real thing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104233 on: June 15, 2016, 11:14:45 am »

My bag of cheetoes is doing some contest where you can either submit cheetoes that are funny shapes to their website to be entered in for a chance at a prize. Considering these are cheetoes I wonder how much male genitalia they get.

But you will also win the grand prize instantly if you find a cheeto in the bag that's shaped like a reproduction of a great work of art. 

Considering how I barely look at the things while eating them, I wonder how many people have already literally eaten their ticket to a $250,000 grand prize without even noticing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104234 on: June 15, 2016, 11:17:40 am »

"Great work of art".

I suppose you might get one looking like Malevich's Black Square, but I doubt many others are going to turn up.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 6947 6948 [6949] 6950 6951 ... 11037