Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6910 6911 [6912] 6913 6914 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467060 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103665 on: June 05, 2016, 04:01:44 pm »

What is a public person and why are they allowed killer robots?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103666 on: June 05, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »

I would assume a public person is one that is generally known and recognized by the general public, i.e. a celebrity or elected official. These people tend to have (sometimes armed) security details already.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103667 on: June 05, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »

Hory shet.
That makes me wonder, though... Can a private person buy a killer robot? What sort of license would one need to own and operate one? Do a lot of companies sell them?
In order:
1) No.
2) A licence from the Ministry of Defence of your own country, verified and sent to ROSOBORONEXPORT company for confirmation.
3) Probably not.

Can you throw me a link? I'm not quite sure that combat systems without a man in the loop are actually legal according to the Geneva Conventions, so it probably has at least an observer who is supposed to authorize weapons release? I mean, otherwise it would be just plain unsafe unless you were sure everybody in the radius of 8 km is an enemy combatant.
Well, er, no, I don't have a link. It's, uh, a file I've got. From a source.

Also, I think they probably already shit all over the Geneva conventions and don't quite care, given, you know, the microwaving of people. There's also some interesting things like mines who are apparently able to "distinguish between civilians and soldiers" in an experimental mode and only trigger on soldiers, which is quite interesting, because 1) I'm not sure how it is possible to do that, and 2) I'm not sure if it's legal to claim such capabilities on your autonomous weapons.

Not that anyone in the Middle East is going to care much about such technicality as a "legally forbidden weapon", amirite?
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103668 on: June 05, 2016, 05:01:32 pm »

The microwaving people thing has precedent in the form of this - apparently it's legal to, you know, microwave civilians a little to keep them from getting too uppity about it.

As such, there are already similar systems being used in the Middle East *sideways glance*, and apparently that's also alright. So, um.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103669 on: June 05, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »

Ew
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103670 on: June 05, 2016, 05:21:36 pm »

@Sergarr:Proportion of metal to weight?

Also @Sergarr:Shush...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103671 on: June 05, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »

So what you're saying is that you can't prove that you aren't making it up?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #103672 on: June 05, 2016, 05:35:05 pm »

Meanwhile lots of people seem to prefer robots being entirely manual.  Just in case Skynet breaks out, or whatever.
A self-driving car hitting someone is 1000x worse than a human doing so, for... reasons?
Probably because people in general have come to expect computers and computing-based technology to be reliable. When it's not reliable it stands out. Especially when "not reliable" translates to "a large mass of metal crashed into something it wasn't supposed to crash into".

Doesn't help that people like Elon Musk are going around advertising about how much "safer" self-driving cars will be compared to humans and how superior self-driving technology will surely replace human driving in the future.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103673 on: June 05, 2016, 05:37:15 pm »

Why yes. In fact, it would be better off if you forgot that I've even said anything on this matter.
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103674 on: June 05, 2016, 05:48:38 pm »

Why yes. In fact, it would be better off if you forgot that I've even said anything on this matter.
Tsk, tsk, Citizen Sergarr. Do you sиnk Comrade Colonel vould noт hиar эbout ёur, shэll we say... indiscretion, yes? You wёre warneд - we have иars everywhere.

Reporт to ёur superviзor tomorrow morninг. Do not try to run. Wи know where ёur familи lives.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:55:54 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103675 on: June 05, 2016, 05:51:24 pm »

Cyrillic letters, particularly when they look like English ones but act completely different.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103676 on: June 05, 2016, 05:56:23 pm »

Fucking Russians
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #103677 on: June 05, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »

Spoiler: DA COMRADE (click to show/hide)
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103678 on: June 05, 2016, 06:01:22 pm »

Fucking Russians
Been there, done that, would recommend.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #103679 on: June 05, 2016, 06:08:34 pm »

... I know they're getting even older, but. How. Do you manage to half-break a washing machine you've been using for years, entirely through user error, and screw over a clean load of clothes in the process? Thing was fine when I put my load in. It just about finishes, and I go to check it to find out the door handle is now half broke, they had somehow managed to lock the controls (there's, like. No way to do that unintentionally. You have to hold down a freaking button for three seconds, and all that button does is control how loud the done noise is -- it has absolutely nothing to do with starting the machine or anything to do with changing the wash settings.), and there was apparently a pissed in pair of pants put in with the literally <5 minutes from being done clothes.

I mean, I get it's senility, and probably the effects of previous strokes the stubborn ass refused to see a doctor about or even acknowledge happened, but, just. This was a machine they'd been using for literally years, regularly, without a problem. Today it got kinda' fucked up. Leaves me part pissed off, because probably >half the clothes I own just got functionally pissed on, part incredulous, because how, and part goddamn depressed because th'person that did it is visibly and very noticeably losing their goddamn mind and refusing just about any and all attempts to bloody help, or even find out exactly what's going wrong.

Sucks. Just... sucks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6910 6911 [6912] 6913 6914 ... 11037