Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6909 6910 [6911] 6912 6913 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467320 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103651 on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »

Goodness I feel like the Spiderman movies are stuck in this endless limbo of never being able to tell new stories.

It isn't like the Batman movies all had to be Batman origins.
Spiderman is a story of a character who is quite literally doomed to have every single source of happiness around him be taken from him by the in-universe God - and devil, too.

Speaking of the devil, did you know that Spiderman has made a deal with the devil to make his marriage never happen?
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103652 on: June 05, 2016, 01:29:10 pm »

Goodness I feel like the Spiderman movies are stuck in this endless limbo of never being able to tell new stories.

It isn't like the Batman movies all had to be Batman origins.
Spiderman is a story of a character who is quite literally doomed to have every single source of happiness around him be taken from him by the in-universe God - and devil, too.

Speaking of the devil, did you know that Spiderman has made a deal with the devil to make his marriage never happen?
[citation needed]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103653 on: June 05, 2016, 01:31:35 pm »

I don't know if I've been reading especially good books lately or if I'm just more of an emotional wreck than I used to be, but books seem to be making me cry a lot more often than they used to back when I read far more than I do these days.

Hell, I'm not yet fifty pages into this one and I already caught myself tearing up.
This is getting ridiculous. Usually the waterworks at least wait until the last third of the book or so.

Do you play any VNs? Steins;Gate, or anything by KEY, should be Good Times. ;D

Edit: I'm not joking, either. This is my review for planetarian on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/trafalgar/recommended/316720/

Screenshot of review if you're too lazy to click the link:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I found it fairly "meh", to be honest.

QUICKEDIT: The VN, not the review :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103654 on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »

Did you get to any endings? How far did you get?

Edit: Steins;gate or planetarian? I think planetarian only has one ending.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103655 on: June 05, 2016, 01:59:34 pm »

Planetarian. It only had a single ending, being a straight-up kinetic novel with no branching story-lines at all.

Have not tried Stein's Gate :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103656 on: June 05, 2016, 02:34:50 pm »

It looks like every goddamn robotic military system in Russia has a feature of "being able to independently perform the set tasks", including, in most cases, terminatoring people up for at least a few hours.

what's up with that
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103657 on: June 05, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »

It looks like every goddamn robotic military system in Russia has a feature of "being able to independently perform the set tasks", including, in most cases, terminatoring people up for at least a few hours.

what's up with that
Because somebody has a boner for killer robots. It is terrifying but understandable.
Anyway, shouldn't a robotic system be capable of somewhat independent operation to count as, you know, robotic?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103658 on: June 05, 2016, 02:52:34 pm »

Meanwhile lots of people seem to prefer robots being entirely manual.  Just in case Skynet breaks out, or whatever.
A self-driving car hitting someone is 1000x worse than a human doing so, for... reasons?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #103659 on: June 05, 2016, 02:58:04 pm »

Meanwhile lots of people seem to prefer robots being entirely manual.  Just in case Skynet breaks out, or whatever.
A self-driving car hitting someone is 1000x worse than a human doing so, for... reasons?
You can't sue a car(but you can sue the company that made it, so eh...)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103660 on: June 05, 2016, 03:07:04 pm »

what's up with that
Because somebody has a boner for killer robots. It is terrifying but understandable.
Anyway, shouldn't a robotic system be capable of somewhat independent operation to count as, you know, robotic?
I thought that independent operations were usually limited to, you know, non-lethal applications. Like moving from one point to another. Not a goddamned full-on killer robot, "designed to autonomously assist troops in combined arms applications", armed with goddamned anti-tank missiles with range up to 8 kilometers, 30mm auto-cannon, twinned machine-guns with 1000 bullets per gun, and even anti-air missiles, because clearly it didn't have enough killing capacity already.

I guess someone really wants a robotic army up there, yes.
._.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #103661 on: June 05, 2016, 03:08:05 pm »

There's also the Perimetr, of course. Always fun, that.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103662 on: June 05, 2016, 03:12:02 pm »

what's up with that
I thought that independent operations were usually limited to, you know, non-lethal applications. Like moving from one point to another. Not a goddamned full-on killer robot, "designed to autonomously assist troops in combined arms applications", armed with goddamned anti-tank missiles with range up to 8 kilometers, 30mm auto-cannon, twinned machine-guns with 1000 bullets per gun, and even anti-air missiles, because clearly it didn't have enough killing capacity already.

Is that a prospective design, or is it in testing already? It's rather probable that it won't see production yet due to sentiments against, you know, killer robots.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103663 on: June 05, 2016, 03:17:39 pm »

what's up with that

Is that a prospective design, or is it in testing already? It's rather probable that it won't see production yet due to sentiments against, you know, killer robots.
It's in a goddamned selling catalogue.

Re:Perimetr.
Perimetr wasn't actually a killer robot system, because 1) the decision to activate it was still taken by people, and 2) the only thing its activation did was sending in the launch codes to everywhere, again leaving the decision to actually use them to humans.

Also, in lieu of the "killer technology" thingies, there's also this thing:
2)   Ultrasound and infrasound system of nonlethal effect on the objects in order to prevent attempts to cross the border.
3)   Automatic microwave non-lethal directional effect systems with automatic guidance creating localized heating of tissues of objects in order to prevent attempts to cross the border.
I especially like it how it calls humans (because vehicles don't fucking have tissues) as "objects".
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103664 on: June 05, 2016, 03:44:04 pm »

Hory shet.
That makes me wonder, though... Can a private person buy a killer robot? What sort of license would one need to own and operate one? Do a lot of companies sell them?

Can you throw me a link? I'm not quite sure that combat systems without a man in the loop are actually legal according to the Geneva Conventions, so it probably has at least an observer who is supposed to authorize weapons release? I mean, otherwise it would be just plain unsafe unless you were sure everybody in the radius of 8 km is an enemy combatant.
Pages: 1 ... 6909 6910 [6911] 6912 6913 ... 11037