Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6890 6891 [6892] 6893 6894 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467312 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103365 on: May 31, 2016, 01:59:44 am »

To be fair, it is theorised that the earth could still possibly pull back if all humans suddenly and mysteriously died.
Although there are a bunch of species that would inevitably die out if humans were to pull out because of lack of proper territory, lack of food, they might be too docile, or they could simply have too low of a population, bunch of reasons, really.
I still don't get why we should give a flying fuck about the Earth beyond it being our habitat.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103366 on: May 31, 2016, 02:02:47 am »

To be fair, it is theorised that the earth could still possibly pull back if all humans suddenly and mysteriously died.
Although there are a bunch of species that would inevitably die out if humans were to pull out because of lack of proper territory, lack of food, they might be too docile, or they could simply have too low of a population, bunch of reasons, really.
I still don't get why we should give a flying fuck about the Earth beyond it being our habitat.
Two words. Moral superiority.

It doesn't need to make sense. Just accept it, like how we accept money is considered a worse present than giftcards, despite being infinitely more useful.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #103367 on: May 31, 2016, 02:13:07 am »

I actually recently wrote down my wishlist for friends and family. One of my wishes was that I'd only be gifted things I need; I don't need giftcards (as a specific example), and if the giver can't think of anything else, I'll always need money.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #103368 on: May 31, 2016, 02:18:08 am »

I pretty much only ask for money for my birthday/Christmas because then I can actually use it. There's no gurantee I'll use something you buy for me otherwise.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #103369 on: May 31, 2016, 02:19:28 am »

Wouldn't it be inevitable that some other creature will evolve and take our place?
No

Two words. Moral superiority.
>humans
>morally superior

top fucking kek m8
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103370 on: May 31, 2016, 02:21:58 am »

We only need to be morally superior in comparison to eachother. Or atleast, we need to feel we are.

If we didn't why do you have that one friend who always gushes about his recent donations to starving children in Malaysia?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 02:29:46 am by King Kitteh »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103371 on: May 31, 2016, 02:24:15 am »

It seems to me that an entire planet of different ecosystems, full of their own flora and fauna that could well be unique in the universe, is a heck of a lot more important than a single, especially destructive species. That and there's always the threat that we will develop our spacefaring technologies to the point that we can spread to other planets/solar systems and get to work destroying those as well.
Although admittedly it occurred to me as I wrote this, it would probably be a good thing if our entire population fucked off to the moon or Mars or some other body largely devoid of life to give Earth a chance to recover... but I doubt that would happen while the planet still has some chance of recovery, sadly. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103372 on: May 31, 2016, 02:32:08 am »

It seems to me that an entire planet of different ecosystems, full of their own flora and fauna that could well be unique in the universe, is a heck of a lot more important than a single, especially destructive species. That and there's always the threat that we will develop our spacefaring technologies to the point that we can spread to other planets/solar systems and get to work destroying those as well.
Although admittedly it occurred to me as I wrote this, it would probably be a good thing if our entire population fucked off to the moon or Mars or some other body largely devoid of life to give Earth a chance to recover... but I doubt that would happen while the planet still has some chance of recovery, sadly. 
We are the single species of animal on Earth capable of affecting the cosmos. Earth might even be the only planet with life on it. We may be the only specie capable of seeding the universe with life. And if life destroys the universe? Well, it'll be an awesome way to be destroyed.

It's not like the universe would even care since destruction is an artificial distinction anyways.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #103373 on: May 31, 2016, 02:58:40 am »

and because the universe is not sentient
thincake

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103374 on: May 31, 2016, 03:05:28 am »

I just lost a huge goddamn post due to my phone screwing up.
As if it wasn't arduous enough posting on this cruddy phone normally... I don't have the time, energy or phone battery to rewrite the whole thing, so I'll just recreate the amusing one-liner and leave it at that. May the lost, bulky end paragraph rest in peace.

I actually recently wrote down my wishlist for friends and family. One of my wishes was that I'd only be gifted things I need; I don't need giftcards (as a specific example), and if the giver can't think of anything else, I'll always need money.
If I wrote a wishlist, it'd probably be intercepted by the police and lead to the formation of at least three new taskforces. :P

Edit: I need to say, though... how the hell would we be destroying the universe itself?! What is this, a Raymond Feist novel? That was never what I meant. I guess at least that misinterpretation brings us back to the actual thread topic, for me at least.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:10:59 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #103375 on: May 31, 2016, 04:42:23 am »

I will accept that anything capable of destroying the universe is probably something that is already above most stuff that 'morality' isn't much of a thing anymore.
But, yeah, my general reason of wanting to keep species alive is because I'm emphatic towards most creatures, doesn't mean I won't kill and eat a pig or something if it came down to me or it, but that's the circle of life, nothing personal about that, yet I don't like the idea of... How do I put this...
I don't like the idea of killing something using inhumane methods just because the meat is tasty? It's nothing about moral superiority, go ahead and eat as much meat as you want, but you should always be perfectly aware of the consequences of your actions, if you do that and still find it fine to eat meat, go ahead, the reason I don't is because I can't handle the consequences.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103376 on: May 31, 2016, 04:57:52 am »

I don't like the idea of killing something using inhumane methods just because the meat is tasty? It's nothing about moral superiority, go ahead and eat as much meat as you want, but you should always be perfectly aware of the consequences of your actions, if you do that and still find it fine to eat meat, go ahead, the reason I don't is because I can't handle the consequences.

The consequences being, paying an extra dollar for your free range eggs?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #103377 on: May 31, 2016, 05:22:01 am »

this isn't supposed to destroy capitalism or anything
There's your problem
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Communism was just a red herring.
D-did you just reference Clue?
Late, but yes. Deliberately.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #103378 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:04 am »

The consequences being, paying an extra dollar for your free range eggs?
What? No, not those consequences, Y'know, moral consequences, I don't eat meat because I can't handle the idea that, just because I feel like it, something sentient has to be killed for me to eat their meat even though there is nothing there that I need, if there's someone who literally needs to eat meat to survive, alright, but if someone eats meat and continues to do so through being purposely blind to the facts, then that is stupid, and I refuse to even debate with those people*.
*CAN SOMEONE SAY HYPOCRIIIISSSYYYYYY
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:25:17 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #103379 on: May 31, 2016, 06:13:25 am »

We don't really need to. Caring about it being our habitat covers several metric fucktons of "Shit we should be doing but aren't." Including animal care (and subsequently healthy species that aren't going to potentially die and take parts of the biosphere with it or inculcate the next great plague). There's probably some psychological benefits to being something more than entirely self-interested shitheels, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6890 6891 [6892] 6893 6894 ... 11037