Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6879 6880 [6881] 6882 6883 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470752 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103200 on: May 29, 2016, 09:36:13 pm »

I've been playing Disgaea 3 lately, and I think I'll have to switch the audio to Japanese. Not for any quality reasons, but because the main character, who talks gleefully of cruel experiments and dissecting people (he is a demon after all, even if it's already hinting he's not really as bad as he wants to be), is voiced by the same guy who voiced Edward Elric. It's very jarring.
I absolutely couldn't stand the English voice acting in Disgaea 1.  The characters all sounded like annoying, semi-regal brats...

Yeah, I know :P  I started with dubbed Japanese and the haughtiness was just so much less annoying.  Even though I'm sure I was missing similarly cringeworthy nuance in the Japanese, like word choice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #103201 on: May 29, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »

Frankly, I wouldn't--her argument seems to revolve around blaming human stupidity on modern technology.

+1

Technology just makes it more apparent, is all.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103202 on: May 29, 2016, 09:43:23 pm »

Not the technology, the application, unknown effects (spying), etc. Your fridge doesn't need to save your eating habits so somebody else can use them against you; that's insane. Same argument on hammers; it's a tool: build a home or kill someone with them. The use shows the intent and good or ill. It works for any level of tech: be it a stone, a spear, a sword, or sophisticated....

Guided missiles; misguided men.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #103203 on: May 29, 2016, 09:44:28 pm »

I've been playing Disgaea 3 lately, and I think I'll have to switch the audio to Japanese. Not for any quality reasons, but because the main character, who talks gleefully of cruel experiments and dissecting people (he is a demon after all, even if it's already hinting he's not really as bad as he wants to be), is voiced by the same guy who voiced Edward Elric. It's very jarring.
I absolutely couldn't stand the English voice acting in Disgaea 1.  The characters all sounded like annoying, semi-regal brats...

They were supposed to, I think.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103204 on: May 29, 2016, 09:48:29 pm »

@Truean: People have been declaring the death of human intellect at the hands of whatever new technology for thousands of years, and not only were they wrong, the exact opposite happened. I don't really see how this will be any different.

Also, camera ravens--completely irrelevant, but WTF worthy nonetheless.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103206 on: May 29, 2016, 09:54:14 pm »

Aye, and human stupidity transcends technology. It doesn't matter if it's the most insecure thing in existence, if it's convenient or grants (perceived) status people are going to (mis)use it. This is going to be a constant throughout time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103207 on: May 29, 2016, 10:00:09 pm »

Last time I checked, Stephen Hawking was a theoretical physicist, not an A.I expert. In either case, we might as well call it a night here, since it's starting to look like neither of us are going to convince the other of anything.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103208 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:19 pm »

I miht listen to your arguments more if you weren't always so aggressively negative. It's not like the world is ending all the damn time.

Humans are freaking miserable. They should be put out of their misery.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:05:25 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103209 on: May 29, 2016, 10:04:03 pm »

or IS IT
Black lives matter.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103210 on: May 29, 2016, 10:08:26 pm »

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/warriorshtm/klaxon.htm

I must say that i do enjoy the negativity and fatalism that suddenly surfaced here because i'm a pathetic misanthrope at heart.

Also...

Truean... the way you write... it's weird.
For a good while i was certain your posts were made out of haikus or something similar.

It's not like the world is ending all the damn time.
It is. With every second we are getting closer to the end of the world whether it's 2 minutes away or 1000 million years.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:10:46 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103211 on: May 29, 2016, 10:11:55 pm »

I'm kind of negative at times too, but technology is the only key to ending human suffering, so don't touch my goddamn technology. You can go live in your mud huts while the smarter people fix the world.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103212 on: May 29, 2016, 10:16:54 pm »

Smart folk aren't necessarily good folk. Where do you think all the increases in military tech comes from?

Technology also is not the singular thing that will fix the world. Technology has been improving for millennia, things are still a bit shit.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103213 on: May 29, 2016, 10:17:50 pm »

It's not like the world is ending all the damn time.
It is. With every second we are getting closer to the end of the world whether it's 2 minutes away or 1000 million years.
Well, not the end of the world. The end of humanity. Nobody, even professed environmentalists, care about Earth, only its ability to sustain human life.

Incidentally that quite literal deadline is the point where we've used up sufficient nonrenewable resources (predominantly fuels, metals, &c) that we can't establish ourselves in orbit and can't maintain a high level of advanced infrastructure and industry, at which point it becomes a long slow spiral as everything decays and breaks down while our descendants desperately try to survive as pre-industrial subsistence farmers in a world wracked by the excesses of uncontrolled capitalism applied through the lens of industrial-age and information-age technology.

Developing permanent off-world infrastructure and populations is the first and foremost responsibility of any person who wants humanity to survive as a species in the long run. Unsurprisingly, nobody cares about it because people are inherently selfish and short-sighted, whether it's the self-centered but somewhat well-meaning "save the planet... for us!" end of the spectrum or the sheer unadulterated greed that is most directly pushing us over the edge.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103214 on: May 29, 2016, 10:24:48 pm »

Smart folk aren't necessarily good folk. Where do you think all the increases in military tech comes from?
Most new tech starts in the military and then makes its way to the civilian market be it canned meat nukes or laser pointers.
It's just that way since the militaries tend to spend so much money on new stuff to 1 up their opponents.

Incidentally that quite literal deadline is the point where we've used up sufficient nonrenewable resources (predominantly fuels, metals, &c) that we can't establish ourselves in orbit and can't maintain a high level of advanced infrastructure and industry, at which point it becomes a long slow spiral as everything decays and breaks down while our descendants desperately try to survive as pre-industrial subsistence farmers in a world wracked by the excesses of uncontrolled capitalism applied through the lens of industrial-age and information-age technology.

Developing permanent off-world infrastructure and populations is the first and foremost responsibility of any person who wants humanity to survive as a species in the long run. Unsurprisingly, nobody cares about it because people are inherently selfish and short-sighted, whether it's the self-centered but somewhat well-meaning "save the planet... for us!" end of the spectrum or the sheer unadulterated greed that is most directly pushing us over the edge.
So far things worked on the supply demand basis with mass production leading to a reduction in prices. Once the technology and pioneering phases are over people will establish themselves in orbit but not before it's "profitable".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 10:28:24 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 6879 6880 [6881] 6882 6883 ... 11037