Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6841 6842 [6843] 6844 6845 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463548 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102630 on: May 21, 2016, 06:41:17 pm »

Maybe copying the necronomicon requires essentially reading the whole thing, and that probably results in you being too insane to actually do it correctly.  So there would still be only one true and correct copy of the necronomicon.

Or maybe there is one copy, but it isn't whole.  Your rag tag bunch of cultists might only have a handful of pages, but its more than enough to break some minds and summon something awful nonetheless.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102631 on: May 21, 2016, 06:43:48 pm »

Most fictional settings also miss the point entirely.

It isn't special. You could go ask a friendly librarian at your local university for a copy, better or worse, pick it up and read it. It's just that most people don't want to know, and for a good reason, since it's accepting the truths of the book at face value is where going bonkers with nihilism happens.

Judging by the description of the Necronomicon and how it is written... It sounds incredibly difficult to understand at times.

I certainly wouldn't want to read it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102632 on: May 21, 2016, 06:44:25 pm »

It certainly gave me headaches.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102633 on: May 21, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »

Orangutans can read it just fine though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102634 on: May 21, 2016, 08:48:07 pm »

I cannot believe nobody has said "Look out, he's got a Johnson!" ever.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #102635 on: May 21, 2016, 08:53:57 pm »

Most fictional settings also miss the point entirely.

It isn't special. You could go ask a friendly librarian at your local university for a copy, better or worse, pick it up and read it. It's just that most people don't want to know, and for a good reason, since it's accepting the truths of the book at face value is where going bonkers with nihilism happens.
Course a lot of people also miss the fact that based society at the time simple ideas like "homosexuality is actually okay" would get lumped straight into the "things that destroy man's sanity" block. It's totally possible that, did a real copy of the necronomicon actually exist today, at least some chapters would be totally palatable, possibly even blasé at this point. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #102636 on: May 21, 2016, 09:07:28 pm »

inb4 the necronomicon is actually about lgbt rights
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102637 on: May 21, 2016, 09:15:41 pm »

In-universe, just reading the Necronomicon drives you mad, and it contains knowledge that allows one to convene with extra-dimensional beings. Despite what some Christians might say about the latter point, and what some of their detractors might say about the former point, I have reasons to believe that the Bible does neither of these things, or does them extremely infrequently.
A better question would be "Does it contain secrets that make people straight up mad".
Have you seen a fundamentalist Christian before? Those people are bonkers.

Aaaaand called it.
People who say they understand the whims of otherworldly presences usually are bonkers, to be fair.
I mean the only real difference between "I kill all the heretics and make clothes from their skin because my god tells me to" and "I seriously believe that if I address my daydreamed wishes to my god that they'll come true" is the level of harm caused to society and other individuals by the outcome of those beliefs. You can believe whatever sort of crazy shit you want, paint it in the shades of religion or not, and as long as you're not infringing on others' rights you can go right on doing it. Naturally, most organized religion is extra-pushy and likes to annoy, convert, restrict, expel, or murder people who don't buy into what they're selling, depending on how strongly they dominate society.

But, like, in practice? I've known Christians of different stripes, a few Jews, a few Muslims, one Buddhist, and a range of pagans: all of them were equally bonkers when it came to the question of belief as far as I'm concerned, but for the most part they were fine people in all other respects, no more or less harmful than a guy I knew who genuinely believed that he could talk to ghosts. *Gallic shrug*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102638 on: May 22, 2016, 12:43:30 am »

"th-the gays... and the transes... the-they are... they are... THEY ARE NOT THE SAMETHINGAAAAAAAH"
They AREN'T?!

* Sirus wails
* Sirus gnashes teeth
* Sirus claws out eyes
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #102639 on: May 22, 2016, 12:46:21 am »

They do face similarities in discrimination. Some folk seem to think they're perverted bastards, which is why the likes of Ted Cruz is all "WE CAN'T LET THE TRANNIES USE THE BATHROOM FOR THE GENDER THEY IDENTIFY WITH BECAUSE THEY'LL RAPE OUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102640 on: May 22, 2016, 12:46:54 am »

CATS LIVING WITH DOGS
HYSTERIA I TELL YE
HYSTERIIAAAAAA
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102641 on: May 22, 2016, 12:52:01 am »

They do face similarities in discrimination. Some folk seem to think they're perverted bastards, which is why the likes of Ted Cruz is all "WE CAN'T LET THE TRANNIES USE THE BATHROOM FOR THE GENDER THEY IDENTIFY WITH BECAUSE THEY'LL RAPE OUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN"
True, but that doesn't make them the same thing. Might as well say that Chinese people and Irish people are the same thing because they were both discriminated against.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102642 on: May 22, 2016, 12:52:42 am »

*rocking violently back and forth, clutching hair and crying*
"th-the gays... and the transes... the-they are... they are... THEY ARE NOT THE SAMETHINGAAAAAAAH"
Oh for the love of

Just send them all to the sanatorium and let the lobotomy doctors sort it out

To be fair, his actual issue is that pervy men (i.e. not trans women (even though a lot of those types don't see the difference)) would be able to justify going into the women's bathroom by saying they're trans when they're not. Which is a stupid argument, so my only real motivation for defending it is because I'm sick of anti-right wankery.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102643 on: May 22, 2016, 12:54:44 am »

It is a stupid argument, because if a trans woman did pervy things a public bathroom then she'd face charges just like a pervy man would. Plain and simple.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102644 on: May 22, 2016, 12:57:39 am »

Actually, Ted Cruz and North Carolina, apparently, just want to keep "men" (meaning women) out of women's bathrooms (and force them into men's...).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 6841 6842 [6843] 6844 6845 ... 11040