Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6840 6841 [6842] 6843 6844 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464661 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102615 on: May 21, 2016, 07:23:49 am »

In-universe, just reading the Necronomicon drives you mad, and it contains knowledge that allows one to convene with extra-dimensional beings. Despite what some Christians might say about the latter point, and what some of their detractors might say about the former point, I have reasons to believe that the Bible does neither of these things, or does them extremely infrequently.
A better question would be "Does it contain secrets that make people straight up mad".
Have you seen a fundamentalist Christian before? Those people are bonkers.

Aaaaand called it.

I thought you put it rather nicely in that original quote up there.
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102616 on: May 21, 2016, 08:11:59 am »

I just kind of realized that in the Lovecraftian universe.

There are a LOT of Necronomicons floating about (I think one or two that were mass produced)... and even the Necronomicon is a partial translation of an even older text.

I realize that book is iconic for the series and that for SOME of the books the fact that they were different versions of the necronomicon was supposed to be a twist... But ever feel like it is kind of diluting the importance of it in the series?

Though it honestly is one of the two most important texts I am aware of in the series... The other is basically a mythos encyclopedia.
There's only one Necronomicon proper, but it's just a book; you could copy and translate it freely, and a lot of Necronomicons in the stories are actually various derivative works, either just plain translations to various languages, or abridged versions - notably in the Dunwich Horror, where the incompleteness of the abridged version is why the antagonist is seeking to obtain the Arabic original from the Miskatonic library.

I think it's somewhat implied at least in some cases the abridgement is essentially voluntary censorship by the translator to keep the dangerous bits hidden from randos reading it.

For that matter, it's not even the only Eldritch Abominations for Dummies book in the original stories, just the most iconic one out of universe.

Also 'reading it drives you mad' is a stupid Mythos-meme on par with the people who think Cthulhu pops up in every other story or something. A whole bunch of assorted academic types and protagonists had read it in the backstory, hence why when some monster pops up they're all 'oh shit, a shoggoth', not just 'oh shit, an amoeba from hell' and they are perfectly fine. The going nuts part turns up around the part when they bump into the more, uh, empirical proofs that it wasn't just a medieval D&D Monster Manual and survive.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102617 on: May 21, 2016, 08:21:19 am »

Well what I mean is that it is like the Excalibur in King Arthur.

It is an important and integral item to the plot and story.

So they reveal that the Excalibur is actually based on an even older sword made hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago. Then they reveal that someone took the Excalibur and made a few more copies of it... and in the end it turns out there are about a hundred Excalibur swords all with the same ability.

There's only one Necronomicon proper, but it's just a book;

You would be wrong there... There are three Necronomicons Proper (and I mean three totally distinct Necronomicons. Not three copies of the same one)

Five if we include the original it is based on and an incomplete version.

SIX if we include a Usurp book that copies sections on the Necronomicon. Seven if we include a "For Dummies" book.

Though if I had to give a book the title of "Necronomicon proper" I'd give it to the Al Azif anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:36:41 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102618 on: May 21, 2016, 08:34:01 am »

I'm not sure if that's actually true. The necronomicon in lovecrafts work always seems to be the same book, although of course always pretty vaguely defined other then it's author. I mean, there are copies sure. But all the same book.

I mean, I can't prove a negative here, but I don't recall any other necronomicons, and I'm pretty sure I've read all of lovecrafts works.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102619 on: May 21, 2016, 08:40:45 am »

Well there is the Al Azif which is the manuscript all necronomicons are based on. Essentially it IS the Necronomicon.

Then there are two translations of the Al Azif which are all called the Necronomicon. One in Greek, another in Latin. Then there is another Necronomicon which is an English translation of the Greek Necronomicon.

Finally there is a fifth incomplete Necronomicon (though it doesn't bare that name... it has two names actually) that is a English translation of the Latin Necronomicon.

Sorry and there are a sixth and seventh incomplete translation of the Al Azif in "English" and Greek/Latin as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:43:19 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102620 on: May 21, 2016, 08:42:53 am »

Okay so... Not actually different books. Just translations.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102621 on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:34 am »

Except Excalibur is a magic sword. To borrow legal terminology, it's a material good; you can only use a single copy of an Excalibur in one place at a time, and its properties are because it's a supernaturally empowered artifact. If you made an identical-looking sword, it still wouldn't be Excalibur, unless it was also empowered by a whatever.

Necronomicon is not a material good. You need to have a copy to use it, but it doesn't matter which copy. A book is not anything special in itself, it's not a magical scroll, what matters is the knowledge represented as writing on the paper, but if you wanted to be a bit postmodern, a freaking audiobook or a pdf would work just as well.

There are no books titled the same but completely different in the stories; all Necronomicons are the same book, written by Alhazred, but the various copies that pop up can be translations of various quality or derivative works like the Dee abridged version - it's actually similar to the Bible IRL, your best bet if you know the language is to read the original, because there are various mistranslations or nuances lost in the process.

I'm not sure where you take your number from, and am genuinely curious. For reference, Derleth's work don't count because Derleth was a fucking hack whose only good contribution to the mythos ever was preserving the original Lovecraft stories in the public consciousness.

Pseudoedit: ninja'd. Also it's Alhazred.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102622 on: May 21, 2016, 09:03:29 am »

To me it is more of a fictional effect sort of thing.

By adding so many copies of it to the world it starts to seem less special.

In fact MOST fictional settings that use the Necronomicon understand this and make sure that there is only one copy.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102623 on: May 21, 2016, 10:06:01 am »

I agree with you somewhat, but it also can sorta break suspension of disbelief when a book magically doesn't have any copies or whatever. Sorta gota pick your poison :/

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102624 on: May 21, 2016, 10:13:53 am »

Most fictional settings also miss the point entirely.

It isn't special. You could go ask a friendly librarian at your local university for a copy, better or worse, pick it up and read it. It's just that most people don't want to know, and for a good reason, since it's accepting the truths of the book at face value is where going bonkers with nihilism happens.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102625 on: May 21, 2016, 10:21:54 am »

Basically, who actually wants to copy a necronomicon?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #102626 on: May 21, 2016, 10:40:39 am »

Basically, who actually wants to copy a necronomicon?
Google books, Project gutenberg, 15 year old edge-lords. Course, with the latter, you need to put up with poor handwriting and illustrations doodled in red and black sharpie in the margins.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #102627 on: May 21, 2016, 06:32:07 pm »

Basically the Necronomicon is like the Mein Kampf of eldritch knowledge.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #102628 on: May 21, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »

More like The Anarchist's Cookbook.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102629 on: May 21, 2016, 06:38:47 pm »

More like The Anarchist's Cookbook.
Sounds about like, yeah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6840 6841 [6842] 6843 6844 ... 11040