Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6837 6838 [6839] 6840 6841 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463580 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102570 on: May 20, 2016, 12:42:07 am »

The older the code is, the more Lovecraftian.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #102571 on: May 20, 2016, 12:53:56 am »

The band Rednex are a Swedish Eurodance band.

I remember Cotton-Eye Joe.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #102572 on: May 20, 2016, 04:31:08 am »

Got a game I've been plunking away at for ~2 years; today I found a function literally called mystery_function(). It's not referenced anywhere. All it does is call another function (that has never existed) and adds it to the event log (which it does wrong). I swear past-me is doing this on purpose.
That is exactly what IDE "find usages" and "flag unused code as a warning" tools are for; so you can find code like that easily and (safely, thanks to another IDE tool) delete it . :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102573 on: May 20, 2016, 05:21:36 am »

I just kind of realized that in the Lovecraftian universe.

There are a LOT of Necronomicons floating about (I think one or two that were mass produced)... and even the Necronomicon is a partial translation of an even older text.

I realize that book is iconic for the series and that for SOME of the books the fact that they were different versions of the necronomicon was supposed to be a twist... But ever feel like it is kind of diluting the importance of it in the series?

Though it honestly is one of the two most important texts I am aware of in the series... The other is basically a mythos encyclopedia.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #102574 on: May 20, 2016, 05:35:58 am »

The band Rednex are a Swedish Eurodance band.

I remember Cotton-Eye Joe.

Don't think I forgotnya Joe
Love, scriver~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102575 on: May 20, 2016, 05:38:10 am »

Arrrrgh get it out of my head.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102576 on: May 20, 2016, 07:50:21 am »

Windows 10 auto updates make me wish the rage thread still existed. Pulled my battery out before it even reached 1% installation and spent the next hour removing every last trace of auto updates, windows 10 notifications and all that buggery. Get fucked

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102577 on: May 20, 2016, 07:53:30 am »

MS seems to be in no hurry to forcibly autoupdate my unregistered Win7 PC
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #102578 on: May 20, 2016, 09:49:42 am »

There are a LOT of Necronomicons floating about (I think one or two that were mass produced)... and even the Necronomicon is a partial translation of an even older text.

I realize that book is iconic for the series and that for SOME of the books the fact that they were different versions of the necronomicon was supposed to be a twist... But ever feel like it is kind of diluting the importance of it in the series?

Though it honestly is one of the two most important texts I am aware of in the series... The other is basically a mythos encyclopedia.
I don't think having more than one dilutes the horror at all. One dangerous book is nasty, but a widespread dangerous book is terrifying. Consider how the hero might stop a doomsday cult and destroy their copy of the Necronomicon in the nick of time. Now consider that there must be dozens if not hundreds of similar cults around the world, causing similar close calls for other heroes. It would only take one failure for the world to be destroyed.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #102579 on: May 20, 2016, 10:21:42 am »

Does the Bible become diluted in importance due to the amount of copies it has?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102580 on: May 20, 2016, 10:24:10 am »

The Bible is fictitious?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102581 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:03 am »

... the Necronomicon isn't?

Okay, where can I buy a shotgun in England?
One wheel short of a wagon

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102582 on: May 20, 2016, 10:27:25 am »

My mouse appears to be damaged.  The scroll wheel when scrolling down seems to accept the scrolling stopping as input to scroll back up a couple times.  So I roll the scroll wheel down once and I often end up right back where I started, if not higher on the page. 

The left mouse button also appears to be borked as it seems to forget that button is being held down at random times and then suddenly remembering it's being pushed.  Making dragging and dropping seem more akin to Russian roulette.  As the object being dragged gets dropped at random locations and then suddenly something else is being dragged across the screen.  Sometimes the button stops taking input in such a way that it will randomly register doubleclicks while dragging too, which is always fun.

this was something like a $20 'gaming' mouse that I've only used for about half a year.  I have a crappy dell 2 button mouse that probably cost a quarter of that, that I've had for 7 years and is still trucking like a champ.  What ever happened to expecting basic quality products?  It's almost like this stuff is made to last just long enough to be rated highly on online markets before kicking the bucket now.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102583 on: May 20, 2016, 10:32:30 am »

The Bible is fictitious?
A better question would be "Does it contain secrets that make people straight up mad".
The Bible is common and no longer holds the mystic aura around it it used to have in the dark/middle ages.

The Necro is a similar deal really since something unique and one of a kind is infinitely more exciting than a book that was copied hundreds if not thousands of times.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102584 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:07 am »

... the Necronomicon isn't?

Okay, where can I buy a shotgun in England?
In-universe, just reading the Necronomicon drives you mad, and it contains knowledge that allows one to convene with extra-dimensional beings. Despite what some Christians might say about the latter point, and what some of their detractors might say about the former point, I have reasons to believe that the Bible does neither of these things, or does them extremely infrequently.

Also ninja'd.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 6837 6838 [6839] 6840 6841 ... 11040