Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6831 6832 [6833] 6834 6835 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468075 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102480 on: May 19, 2016, 01:25:40 am »

If it's any consolation, deep sea creatures evolved light-based methods of capturing prey because there's Literally No Sunlight that deep. For all they know the ocean ends a few miles up and they'll never travel to the surface.
Of course they won't, they'd explode if they tried.
Humans would also explode in space, but we still went there.

git gud cthulhu
Lemme know when fish develop pressurized suits, and then I'll worry.
You say that as though getting surveillance equipment 10s of thousands of meters under the sea is an easy thing to do.

How do we know they don't already? :o
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102481 on: May 19, 2016, 01:27:07 am »

So our housemate moved out and left their pet quails here (they're pretty bad at caring for animals.) They didn't seem in any rush to come back and get them so I asked the houseowner if I could eat them.
It didn't go over so well.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #102482 on: May 19, 2016, 01:34:01 am »

If it's any consolation, deep sea creatures evolved light-based methods of capturing prey because there's Literally No Sunlight that deep. For all they know the ocean ends a few miles up and they'll never travel to the surface.

git gud cthulhu

Actually, no. You just sort of bloat a little over about a minute, then slowly freeze-dry. No exploding.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102483 on: May 19, 2016, 01:43:14 am »

So our housemate moved out and left their pet quails here (they're pretty bad at caring for animals.) They didn't seem in any rush to come back and get them so I asked the houseowner if I could eat them.
It didn't go over so well.
To be fair, quail is really hard to cook.

Actually, no. You just sort of bloat a little over about a minute, then slowly freeze-dry. No exploding.
Eh. It's not like you suddenly turn into a human grenade, but the internal pressure will really do a number on your insides. Plus your eyeballs will burst out of their sockets.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102484 on: May 19, 2016, 01:57:35 am »

Actually weirdly enough our bodies are really good at dealing with interstitial pressure.
Blood vessels will explode, sure, but as far as I've been told, we don't actually do much popping.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102485 on: May 19, 2016, 02:10:41 am »

How would you prefer to be sassed?
By your mum
Further on the topic of WTFs I just watched the Stanford Prison Experiment, a dramatization of Phillip Zimbardo's experiment.
Stanford, Milgram and The Third Wave. Plus add some Just World Fallacy.

We're literally that close to fascism if the wrong people take over society. The scary part of Stanford and the Third Wave experiment, is how quickly the participants in these sorts of things start coming up with fascisty ideas by themselves without being prompted by the experimenters (it took about three days for the college kids in Stanford for them to start concocting common torture methods, and about three days for the highschool kids in The Third Wave literally turned into The Gestapo with people wanting to form a secret police to snitch on each other. It's literally 72 hours between a normal middle-class society and Mad Max.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:17:21 am by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102486 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:48 am »

So in other words, we're literally 72 hours between normal middle-class society and Mad Max.
Wait wat? I've seen working class people and they aren't maddened fascists. I think.
One wheel short of a wagon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102487 on: May 19, 2016, 02:19:08 am »

I made that point because all these experiments have involved regular middle-class people. There's a view that the educated middle class would somehow not fall into this stuff, but they do.

Of course normal working class people aren't excessively fascist, but there's a view that their support based fundamentally comes from the working class. The psych experiments prove that this is false, and the sort of Lord of the Flies behavior is common to all social classes. "Social norms" of polite society completely collapsed within 72 hours in both Stanford and Third Wave, and the participants started to strongly resemble abusive prison guards in one, and Hitler Youth, in the other.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:25:23 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102488 on: May 19, 2016, 02:20:34 am »

That's some efficient indoctrination right there
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102489 on: May 19, 2016, 02:32:50 am »

There's one I forgot, the Blue Eyes / Brown Eyes experiment. Divide a class (of the same race) into blue eye and brown eye groups. Give a bunch of privileges to one, and disadvantages to the other, while claiming one group is better than the other. They start to act like racially segregated groups with indoctrinated racism, literally almost instantly.

The next day, the teacher reversed the entire segregation / superiority thing. Doing the same test, the "superior" group massively out performed the "inferior" group each day. So whoever was billed as "superior" on each day flip-flopped on academic achievement tests. So it' easy to set this stuff up, and you can reverse the entire discrimination almost immediately. Obviously, these are short-term effects if there's no reinforcement, but you can get kids bullying each other as "brown eyes" and flunking tests merely because they've been told they're part of an "inferior" group almost immediately.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:54:48 am by Reelya »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #102490 on: May 19, 2016, 04:47:06 am »

There's one I forgot, the Blue Eyes / Brown Eyes experiment. Divide a class (of the same race) into blue eye and brown eye groups. Give a bunch of privileges to one, and disadvantages to the other, while claiming one group is better than the other. They start to act like racially segregated groups with indoctrinated racism, literally almost instantly.

The next day, the teacher reversed the entire segregation / superiority thing. Doing the same test, the "superior" group massively out performed the "inferior" group each day. So whoever was billed as "superior" on each day flip-flopped on academic achievement tests. So it' easy to set this stuff up, and you can reverse the entire discrimination almost immediately. Obviously, these are short-term effects if there's no reinforcement, but you can get kids bullying each other as "brown eyes" and flunking tests merely because they've been told they're part of an "inferior" group almost immediately.
Heh, I remember these. :P Note that the experiment in question had pupils and children as the sample population, or at least the one I know of, which led to further study and research, noting down that these attitudes of superiority and such are predominantly behavioral (as in they're learned).

...I know there's a video of this out there. >_>

I made that point because all these experiments have involved regular middle-class people. There's a view that the educated middle class would somehow not fall into this stuff, but they do.

Of course normal working class people aren't excessively fascist, but there's a view that their support based fundamentally comes from the working class. The psych experiments prove that this is false, and the sort of Lord of the Flies behavior is common to all social classes. "Social norms" of polite society completely collapsed within 72 hours in both Stanford and Third Wave, and the participants started to strongly resemble abusive prison guards in one, and Hitler Youth, in the other.
Stanford's experiment was pretty flawed though in several factors ._. (that of which not excluding examining the participant's own ways of behaving), and criticized in many fronts. Though, it's of note--there's no distinctness of one being innately a bad person, but their behavior.

Which is why those commonalities are seen in all social 'classes', because it's not inherent of social classes, but rather the behavior by which each individual both interacts with and creates a culture of their group and especially with and onto other people.

And this is muchly noted in studies proceeding after those experiments which are of many variants that I'm forgetting directly because of resting post-Finals.

Woke up today in a strange mood and saw a tiny speck hover in front of my right eye, before slowly descending after a few seconds. Noticing several things that told me it wasn't a speck of dust, I then saw it sway and squiggle a bit. It was something alive.
Spoiler: My internal monologue (click to show/hide)
So I took my finger and displaced its webbing and put it on our plants outside.
Tiny, light-yellow thing. ._.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #102491 on: May 19, 2016, 04:55:07 am »

git gud cthulhu

Well, I mean, I doubt deep sea creatures literally explode in a shower of blood either.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102492 on: May 19, 2016, 05:39:55 am »

Got this email:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26452959/yahoohaventsignedinto.png

I've never created an account whose name starts with 8, ends with 64, and is 32 letters long...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102493 on: May 19, 2016, 05:41:03 am »

I've never created an account whose name starts with 8, ends with 64, and is 32 letters long...
Man, you haven't lived.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102494 on: May 19, 2016, 05:43:41 am »

Huh, the last time I paid my internet bill, I found the exact same email in the account(which I never use) provider by my provider. Only replace "Yahoo!" with "Optimum", and 8*****************************64 with my username, and it's otherwise the same word-for-word.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 6831 6832 [6833] 6834 6835 ... 11037