Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6827 6828 [6829] 6830 6831 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471035 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102420 on: May 18, 2016, 12:51:31 pm »

@Yoink: As somebody who wouldn't buy caged eggs: you're being ridiculous. Please get over yourself.
If disagreeing with pointless cruelty is your idea of "being ridiculous" I see no reason to attribute any value to your comment.
Perhaps next time you complain about, I don't know, mistreatment of refugees or the election of callous, greed-driven politicians or something, I'll just tell you to quit being ridiculous and get over yourself? I'll admit, I have no idea what sort of issues you feel are important enough to complain about, seeing as your posts are generally about as content-rich as my Tumblr account (which is non-existent).

My wife last night, while watching season 1 of Game of Thrones, asked me to pause it, usually meaning something big has happened and she needs to discuss it.

Evidently she didn't realize that Jorah Mormont is the son of Jeor Mormont (Lord Commander of the Night's Watch) despite having read the book and having watched the first season already.
Man, that reminds me of how satisfying it was when the [SPOILER] went and [SPOILER]'d that goddamn [SPOILER] right in the [SPOILER], as well as how awful it was to [SPOILER] begin to [SPOILER] slowly my [SPOILER] the show. Argh, maybe I should bite the bullet and get up-to-date on the new season, my friends have been watching it... but it has so many irritating, jarringly bad moments that you have to sit through to get to the good stuff.
Who knows, maybe I'll binge-watch them all when I'm sitting around bored next. I'll make a mental note to do so.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102421 on: May 18, 2016, 12:59:15 pm »

mistreatment of refugees
the election of callous, greed-driven politicians
Cage Eggs
One of these is insignificant compared to the other two.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102422 on: May 18, 2016, 01:02:48 pm »

In my opinion there's three types of people in the world:
- those who go out of their way to educate themselves about all of the horrible things going on in the world and then act in a matter befitting their shame
- those who go through life largely unaware of the terrible things going down, and really aren't aware that there's a little mark on the chocolate to tell you you're a good person for buying it
- and the third type who, having been informed that nestle are patently evil, continue to buy it because it's convenient.

People who subscribe to the first type usually have a big issue with the second type, because of the whole 'evil-ish wins when good-ish people do nothing' shtick.
When really, 'Ignorance Happens', and in the same way as someone not having seen your favourite movie series (but, of course, with some minor moral differences) it should NEVER be a reason to swear off them as friends, but a glorious opportunity for you to teach them about those things and grow closer.
Or annoy them, but hey who's perfect.

Point being, Yoink- you could currently be perpetuating one of the earlier sins of chocolate, cotton or coffee, and that would make you literally as morally awful as the cage-egg people, plus whatever other terrors are currently out there that even I don't know about.
The point is, I doubt you'd want a friend to cut you off for such a crime when you have no idea. Let them know, sure- be firm, even rouse on them.
But if you treat them like puppy-kickers because nobody ever told them that cage eggs were a really bad thing, then you're just going to make them obstinate, and then the issue won't be fixed.

Tack, why remove that from your other post and move it to a new one?
1. New page.
2. My target audience had already passed it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:10:05 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102423 on: May 18, 2016, 01:07:54 pm »

Tack, why remove that from your other post and move it to a new one?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #102424 on: May 18, 2016, 01:08:45 pm »

I get the joke, Chairman. But is it reeeeeeally a good idea to post a photo of a hunted elephant as a joke, considering a) elephant intelligence, and b) the conversation clusterfuck we JUST had?

Yes.

What conversational clusterfuck?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102425 on: May 18, 2016, 01:10:22 pm »

Animal rights and shit yo. It's still happening.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102426 on: May 18, 2016, 01:15:39 pm »

really aren't aware that there's a little mark on the chocolate to tell you you're a good person for buying it
Give the effectiveness of fairtrade, I would wonder how many people that consider themselves the first group are really in the second.

Not that I can talk, as an apathetic member of the third, to some extent.
One wheel short of a wagon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102427 on: May 18, 2016, 01:21:44 pm »

Alright, waited twelve-ish hours to post a WTF and forgot what it was.

Yoink: Point out the error of your roommate's ways in a manner that does not include the words "Hitler", "Torture", or any other damning condemnations that spring to mind. There are ways of pointing out somebody's misdoing without accusing them of chicken genocide.

Rest of you: 2+ pages is more than enough dogpiling on one person. Yoink said some shit about cage eggs. Even though he is right, he didn't need to get fire-and-brimstone about it. Both of those things have been said.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102428 on: May 18, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »

The point is, I doubt you'd want a friend to cut you off for such a crime when you have no idea. Let them know, sure- be firm, even rouse on them.
But if you treat them like puppy-kickers because nobody ever told them that cage eggs were a really bad thing, then you're just going to make them obstinate, and then the issue won't be fixed.
Well, I know my friends well enough to know that they know enough about cage eggs to know not to buy them.
There were far too many uses of the word "know" in that sentence, but I'm too tired (both physically and of this conversation) to change it.
That's why I'm hoping it was the new guy.

mistreatment of refugees
the election of callous, greed-driven politicians
Cage Eggs
One of these is something we can change compared to the other two.
FTFY

And besides, I feel far more sympathy for helpless creatures incapable of calculated malice, sadism, destruction of entire ecosystems or creating hip-hop music than I do for humans (perhaps excluding the ones I know and care about, not to mention myself, since I am, after all, myself human and as such ruled by human emotions) who would most likely perpetrate the same crimes as those they complain about were their positions reversed.    

Fakeedit: @itisnotlogical: Dude, you didn't need to wait to post a WTF... I think we are all well and truly tired of this argument by now.
At least I am- it's been... well, a lot of hours and many, many posts since I woke up yesterday morning and made that first post. At least this has no-doubt been a small boost to my floundering PPD... turns out it's easier to make frequent posts by caring about something than by shitposting, huh.

As for your advice, worry not- I was thinking more along the lines of using the words "Stalin" and "brutality", and swapping out the genocide bit for something like... ugh, I don't know, it's 4AM. I'd probably need to either wake up or consult a thesaurus. Still, I'll think of something. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102429 on: May 18, 2016, 01:35:05 pm »

Well, off-chance it could be farm eggs in a second-hand carton.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102430 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »

How do you feel about mice and rats?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102431 on: May 18, 2016, 01:42:31 pm »

I hate making assumptions like this (feels terribly self-centred), but is this directed at me?
I haven't really met enough of them to have a proper opinion, I'm afraid. I had a pet rat once when I was a kid and I kinda trained him/he trained himself to do a crazy trapeze act around the perches in the re-purposed bird cage he lived in, but then he escaped and ran away before I could tame him or form much of an attachment. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102432 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:35 pm »

If they're anything like squirrel, probably delicious.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102433 on: May 18, 2016, 01:46:28 pm »

Funny story.
I decided to buy organic eggs as result of the recent discussion about caged chickens.
Soooo... i bought 10 organic eggs and wanted them hard boiled.
I threw them into a pot and 2 were unusually buoyant... surprise both were impregnated and held baby chickens... or rather bloody messes of underdeveloped beaks, bones and egg white.

I think i'll stick to free range because at least the eggs i get are guaranteed to not be impregnated and useless for everything that's not hyperexotic asian cuisine.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #102434 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:46 pm »

then as
@Yoink: As somebody who wouldn't buy caged eggs: you're being ridiculous. Please get over yourself.
If disagreeing with pointless cruelty is your idea of "being ridiculous" I see no reason to attribute any value to your comment.
Perhaps next time you complain about, I don't know, mistreatment of refugees or the election of callous, greed-driven politicians or something, I'll just tell you to quit being ridiculous and get over yourself? I'll admit, I have no idea what sort of issues you feel are important enough to complain about, seeing as your posts are generally about as content-rich as my Tumblr account (which is non-existent).

You don't seem to realise that not a single person here has criticised caring about chickens. I care about chickens and eggs, that's the reason I mentioned I don't buy chicken factory eggs myself. Instead, pretty much every single one has criticised the childish way you've thought and acted. That is what is ridiculous.

Somebody brought up the time you complained that your mother had washed your filthy, years-unwashed jeans like it was some sort of personal betrayal instead of a goddamn favour. I think it is very fitting; it is exactly that kind of attitude that caused people to criticise you over this.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 6827 6828 [6829] 6830 6831 ... 11037