Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6826 6827 [6828] 6829 6830 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470871 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102405 on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:02 am »

Swedish for "excuses", roughly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102406 on: May 18, 2016, 06:01:57 am »

Ah, thanks.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102407 on: May 18, 2016, 06:26:31 am »

Yeah, having worked in an egg factory, I can say cage eggs are a bad thing.
I mean the fact that there was some 20,000 chickens kept in a factory, rather than a farm rather says it all.
It was a rather small-scale production too, when I left they were working on installing floor-to-ceiling shelves for the battery hens.

I'm not a particularly moral person, but I found it relatively confronting to see.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102408 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:21 am »

Reducing meat consumption doesn't directly make the average chicken suffer less, but it has beneficial indirect effects. Right now the meat industry in America is so massive that it is a Herculean task just to inspect all the farms and processing plants. The industry knows this, and it lets them get away with more abuse. A smaller industry would be easier to keep track of. That would also mean a smaller meat lobby, so there's less money spent trying to get our politicians to weaken animal rights laws for profit.

Also, this isn't an animal welfare issue, but meat has a large carbon footprint compared to vegetables. So even if the average animal suffers just as much, less meat is still better for the world. And that would still prevent some animal suffering in the long run, as animals would probably not benefit from a harsher and more unstable post-global-warming environment.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #102409 on: May 18, 2016, 07:07:27 am »

Tangential question because I forgot, were humans originally able to eat meat or was that something we developed after cooking became a thing? Because I know we seem to be mostly geared towards herbivoral stuff (Long digestive tracts, crushing teeth) but I'm not sure about humans being able to eat meat in general.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102410 on: May 18, 2016, 07:29:47 am »

Yeah, we can eat raw meat. Food poisoning is unlikely when the meat is fresh. We also have canines, which herbivores do not have. Not to mention certain vitamins like B12 which can only be obtained from animals.
Humans are an omnivorous species, basically.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102411 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44:26 am »

Plus out digerstive tracts are not that long so while herbivores can usually ear grass and leaves human vegans have to be content with vegetables and fruit since hay is just not digestible no matter how long you cook it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102412 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:50 am »

Humans are not properly adapted to be real vegetarians. We can do it but we end up relying mostly on fruits and vegetables, and even then we might have problems if we don't complement our diet. Even those fabled vegan tribal culture people who supposedly look really young into their 50s and are supposedly full vegans actualy ocasionaly eat goat meat and milk (I forgot their name, but they're actualy pretty popular on their internet, I'll post it here when I remember).

Anyway, I'm all in favor for the cessation of factory farming. Not for moral reasons specifically, but because its actualy very energy inefficient. Hopefuly that whole lab grown meat thing will be actualy affordable in the next decade or so.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #102413 on: May 18, 2016, 08:27:11 am »

I agree with Execute/Dumbo.exe as well.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102414 on: May 18, 2016, 11:51:16 am »

I get the joke, Chairman. But is it reeeeeeally a good idea to post a photo of a hunted elephant as a joke, considering a) elephant intelligence, and b) the conversation clusterfuck we JUST had?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102415 on: May 18, 2016, 12:00:40 pm »

I get the joke, Chairman. But is it reeeeeeally a good idea to post a photo of a hunted elephant as a joke, considering a) elephant intelligence, and b) the conversation cluckerflock we JUST had?

FTFY!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102416 on: May 18, 2016, 12:10:14 pm »

I wonder if elephants taste nice :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #102417 on: May 18, 2016, 12:20:24 pm »

I wonder if elephants taste nice :v

It's edible, but not so much that it's marketable. I've never seen elephant meat sold, even in places that sell other odd game meats like impala, kudu, eland, and so on.

Neither farming nor hunting elephants is particularly commercially viable, either.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #102418 on: May 18, 2016, 12:29:28 pm »

My wife last night, while watching season 1 of Game of Thrones, asked me to pause it, usually meaning something big has happened and she needs to discuss it.

Evidently she didn't realize that Jorah Mormont is the son of Jeor Mormont (Lord Commander of the Night's Watch) despite having read the book and having watched the first season already.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102419 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »

Also, this isn't an animal welfare issue, but meat has a large carbon footprint compared to vegetables.

Ehh. Allon Savory tells me that's untrue.
However a couple of people have said Allon Savory is a crackpot, so who knows.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:01:01 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6826 6827 [6828] 6829 6830 ... 11037