Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6756 6757 [6758] 6759 6760 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442514 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101355 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:57 pm »

"You're a fucking white whale." Said Captain Ahab.
"Are you kidding me?" Replied the white whale.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101356 on: April 26, 2016, 06:30:13 pm »

Hmmm, supporting the idea of a gender-skew on the PC platform, I was just looking up research about the gender of Steam users, after seeing a comment that suggested there was a gender gap. But on getting the actual data I thought that can't possibly be true. I came across a claim that only 4% of regular visitors to Steam's website are women. I was expecting e.g. 65% male users, it's more like 95%.

That's based on SteamSpy, and users who were logged into their google profile while browsing Steam: there was a 25:1 male skew. It's sort of an interesting metric, because it was based on logged in google accounts, and I can't see much reason people would lie on their gmail account about their gender while being logged into Steam.

Steam Spy only covers Steam and that’s a very specific subset of gamers — 95% of them are male (vs roughly 50% of general audience)

20:1 male/female on steam?!? That makes the stated gender gap here seem pretty small. Maybe there is some solid evidence that PC digital download gaming has a big gender skew? After all, I can't see many people who lack a Steam account whatsoever downloading and installing obscure PC games.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:32:25 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #101357 on: April 26, 2016, 06:31:37 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101358 on: April 26, 2016, 06:33:45 pm »

That ratio ignores all the however many (possibly way more) users that do not use steam while logged into their google accounts. So it doesn't tell us much except the stats for this very specific group (steam users who use steam while logged to google).

Not saying there isn't a gender skew, mind. Just that this doesn't tell us much outside these particular circumstances. Do we have any idea how many people fit into that group, and how many use steam in general?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101359 on: April 26, 2016, 06:37:08 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101360 on: April 26, 2016, 06:38:37 pm »

That ratio ignores all the however many (possibly way more) users that do not use steam while logged into their google accounts. So it doesn't tell us much except the stats for this very specific group (steam users who use steam while logged to google).

Not saying there isn't a gender skew, mind. Just that this doesn't tell us much outside these particular circumstances. Do we have any idea how many people fit into that group, and how many use steam in general?

Well we know that ~48% of Steam users were not logged into a google account. 2% were women logged into google, 50% were men logged into google. I think it's pretty convincing unless we can show that there would be some particular reason why women are more likely to not be logged into their gmail/youtube while browsing steam than men are.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101361 on: April 26, 2016, 06:40:11 pm »

I'm mostly just confused as to why people are surprised that female gamers are significantly less common than male in the first place.

Does GRRRM make you wtf in general?
We all do, LW.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101362 on: April 26, 2016, 06:41:39 pm »

I'm mostly just confused as to why people are surprised that female gamers are significantly less common than male in the first place.
Because I guess aside from general preconceptions and possibly cultural stuff, we should be seeing an increase in number?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101363 on: April 26, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »

An increase in number doesn't necessarily mean an increase in any particular subgenre. It's not like "female gamers" is some global multiplier applied to all genres, or that women entering the game market "fill up" all available niches at some set rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101364 on: April 26, 2016, 06:44:56 pm »

Because I guess aside from general preconceptions and possibly cultural stuff, we should be seeing an increase in number?
Why?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101365 on: April 26, 2016, 06:57:26 pm »

Haven't we gone through this discussion about male gamers vs female gamers before? Last time I remember, it didn't end well, forget WHY though, possibly a derail into feminism.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101366 on: April 26, 2016, 07:01:22 pm »

Why?
Tried to find statistics I thought I'd seen, can't find them. So I suppose it was just a guess from my part, considering gender equality and all.

Haven't we gone through this discussion about male gamers vs female gamers before? Last time I remember, it didn't end well, forget WHY though, possibly a derail into feminism.
Then all we need to do is not derail into feminism, sticking to gamer statistics.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101367 on: April 26, 2016, 07:01:52 pm »

fwoom
Why is this so significant? What does it even mean that you feel the need to tell us, other than knowledge for knowledge's sake?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #101368 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »

Does GRRRM make you wtf in general?
We all do, LW.
Sounds like you're not PRAISING THE GRMMMM

FOR YOUR TRANSGRESSION

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101369 on: April 26, 2016, 07:15:16 pm »

What does it even mean that you feel the need to tell us, other than knowledge for knowledge's sake?
Exactly that. Knowledge is interesting, and being better informed is always good. Honestly I really appreciate it when people go to the trouble of collecting relevant information for whatever we're discussing at the time, and I'd prefer more irrelevant information than less relevant information.

Ye gods, I don't remember reading that, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if I just missed it
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 6756 6757 [6758] 6759 6760 ... 11040