Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6732 6733 [6734] 6735 6736 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453154 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100995 on: April 21, 2016, 09:32:48 am »

It menaces with spikes of obsidian
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100996 on: April 21, 2016, 09:37:24 am »

And yet there are plenty of experiments that show that brain waves continue far longer after the "modern" method than with the exsanguination method. I have yet to see a single study with both procedures properly executed that show anything else.

How was this Johnson guy doing it wrong? Can you link the details of his methodology or whatever you're looking at?

I read the paper years ago, and don't have access to a full copy.

There are four major blood vessels in the neck - two carotid arteries, and two jugular veins. Proper kosher/halal butchery severs all four of these completely and effectively simultaneously (Jewish law in particular specifies that the knife must be at least half as thick as the animal's neck to guarantee this), causing the animal to pass out within seconds and die seconds later. Even if the animal feels the knife in the first place (far from guaranteed - a sharp enough knife leaves an essentially painless cut), it takes so little time that it isn't going to register as pain before the animal passes out. Despite claiming to have "matched" the procedure, the study group does not appear to have complied entirely, with little effort to make the cuts complete or simultaneous. While the sharpness of the knife used is probably without question, it was a smaller knife than that used in traditional butchery, which makes a great amount of difference to how humane the procedure may be. To get proper data, they should have prepared the experiment and had a halal or kosher butcher come in to perform the kills - this would eliminate any errors due to ignorance or bias. Even then, this study shows the animal to usually be unconscious within five to ten seconds, at which point the importance of the pain readings becomes much less important.

More importantly, I can find no evidence the study was ever repeated. A thousand small experimental errors could have slipped into the procedure - anything from a bad restraint that rubbed the wrong way after the cut was made to the way the personnel reacted during the kills could have thrown it off. The scientific method requires reputability to eliminate the possibility of such things, which has not been shown.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100997 on: April 21, 2016, 10:03:54 am »

I found it! Something to get rid of unwanted threads from unread replies! It was Reelya who made it by the way.

bookmarks for later use, drives more people insane by updating WTF thread.Q
BTW since more people seem interested in the script, I updated it. See the latest post in that thread. Also btw, the domain where the old file is hosted will be expiring in about a month, i have a new one on the way.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100998 on: April 21, 2016, 10:48:04 am »

I don't see much polarization these days in politics. I just see the whole thing moving slowly right, then everyone looking surprised while one guys still stands on what is now the far left.

And a couple of people talking about how moving while moving right was the right plan, there were a few things incredibly and irredeemably wrong with the whole idea, and that everyone should start digging a hole where they are to shelter in before the musselmen come from both the right and the left and bomb us into the ground.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100999 on: April 21, 2016, 10:49:40 am »

They tend to boomerang a bit generation to generation.

Nobody wants to be like their parents  :/
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #101000 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:43 am »

I do! D: sortof mostly

Though it is true that we don't have the same political beliefs, but I didn't even learn that until a couple years ago since we never talk about politics with/around each other.

...then again I'm also the guy who channeled his teenage rebellion urges into rebelling against the concept of teenage rebellion as a response to culture shock.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:20:03 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #101001 on: April 21, 2016, 11:22:18 am »

I don't see much polarization these days in politics. I just see the whole thing moving slowly right, then everyone looking surprised while one guys still stands on what is now the far left.
See I see mostly the opposite. :P From my point of view the center has definitely shifted farther to the left than it was previously (which is why we can even get away with things like LGBTQ rights in the first place), but because those people who were on the right have essentially remained stationary it means that they appear further right due to the "center" shifting leftwards.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101002 on: April 21, 2016, 11:22:51 am »

That feeling when you discover that a file name "bug fixes" contains a serious (and easily discoverable with testing) bug.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101003 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:40 am »

@Furtuka:How does that even work?

That feeling when you discover that a file name "bug fixes" contains a serious (and easily discoverable with testing) bug.
Oh the irony.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #101004 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:48 am »

Pretty much the same, though I've known about our political differences for a while.

My parents are great. Plus, I never had that rebelliony thing either - probably because I didn't want to be a bad person in general.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101005 on: April 21, 2016, 11:29:25 am »

How do you explicitly prove someone is a mass murderer?
I can't find the Samuel Johnson reaction image, so I'm going to say that you prove that someone is a mass murderer when you inevitably find evidence in the pIle of bodies.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101006 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:40 am »

See I see mostly the opposite. :P From my point of view the center has definitely shifted farther to the left than it was previously (which is why we can even get away with things like LGBTQ rights in the first place), but because those people who were on the right have essentially remained stationary it means that they appear further right due to the "center" shifting leftwards.
Now I'd call that... social values? Can't think of a precise definition... come to think of it, I don't have a great definition for that kinda thing. I suppose Britain has politics a bit less tied up in that than the US and other places, though: our conservative prime minister has liberal values.

Actually, Cameron isn't really very political, I'm beginning to think.... ::)
One wheel short of a wagon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101007 on: April 21, 2016, 11:39:42 am »

Cameron's political views are "whatever will get me votes".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #101008 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:55 am »

Now I'd call that... social values? Can't think of a precise definition... come to think of it, I don't have a great definition for that kinda thing. I suppose Britain has politics a bit less tied up in that than the US and other places, though: our conservative prime minister has liberal values.

Actually, Cameron isn't really very political, I'm beginning to think.... ::)
Ah, I missed the fact that we weren't just talking US here (since your statement describes what could very easily be taken as an interpretation of the current US election :P). If we're talking worldwide then yeah, I'd agree with you that there does seem to have been a bit of a conservative swing; probably the reason we aren't experiencing it so much in the US right now is the simple fact that we've finally reached the point where most of our younger generation actually feels like they are "connected" to the world at large and that the old "US isolationism" is finally starting to crack (which, as I mentioned before, is one of the reasons why the right side for us is freaking out a bit).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101009 on: April 21, 2016, 11:47:23 am »

Cameron's political views are "whatever will get me votes".
From here it seems like they are 'whatever will get me in the most news articles, regardless of how bad'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 6732 6733 [6734] 6735 6736 ... 11040