Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6727 6728 [6729] 6730 6731 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455838 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100920 on: April 20, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »

Orange Wizard            Ban      Repeated unprovoked America-bashing
rip

[press f to pay respects]
* Frumple presses u.it's the letter on the opposite side of the alphabet :3
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100921 on: April 20, 2016, 09:22:30 pm »

I had in mind certain posters on this forum. Who bring up how terrible halal slaughter is and have never once mentioned anything else related to animal welfare. I'm sure they're not the only ones out there. So I'm talking about the anti-halal people specifically, who suddenly discovered animal rights when they realized you could bash muslims with it.
If you're talking about me, I blather on about animal rights (despite the mostly deaf ears of my audience on here) fairly regularly.
I'm a vegetarian. Frankly all cattle farming disgusts me and I would rather see all of it gone, but the idea of halal/kosher butchery just presents wholly unnecessary additional suffering which has no place in the modern day. Then again, if there are horrible cruelties taking place in so-called "modern" abattoirs (I mean, other than the fact that they're killing thousands of purpose-bred creatures to make a fucking steak ::)) I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, given the kind of people who would take on such a job.

In this discussion, however, I based my argument on a hypothetical version of the two butchery methods- how they're intended to be, on paper.
Never once did I say that the way we treat animals in factory farms was okay or acceptable, I merely said that halal is even worse, and unnecessarily so.

If one wanted to simply pick on Islam there are countless other, also-damning facets of the religion to mention.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100922 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:26 pm »

but the idea of halal/kosher butchery just presents wholly unnecessary additional suffering which has no place in the modern day.

Apart from "A knife is obviously crueler than a spike to the back of the neck" assumptions, the only evidence to suggest there's any cruelty involved is an experiment where the slaughter was performed wrong. If done correctly with all four major blood vessels in the neck severed simultaneously, total exsanguination from that style of butchery takes an extremely short amount of time, and the animal loses awareness in much less time than even a properly performed stun-bolt method.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100923 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:23 pm »

Destroying the brain is always going to be a better method than stabbing it a few times. Unless you're stabbing it in the right part of the brain. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100924 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:19 pm »

And yet there are plenty of experiments that show that brain waves continue far longer after the "modern" method than with the exsanguination method. I have yet to see a single study with both procedures properly executed that show anything else.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100925 on: April 20, 2016, 09:55:20 pm »

Destroying the brain is always going to be a better method than stabbing it a few times. Unless you're stabbing it in the right part of the brain. ::)

Can you present evidence that the brain is actually destroyed?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #100926 on: April 20, 2016, 09:57:26 pm »

Why don't we try it on a human and ask them how painful it is?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100927 on: April 20, 2016, 09:57:46 pm »

If you're talking about me, I blather on about animal rights (despite the mostly deaf ears of my audience on here) fairly regularly.

No, i was alluding to some of our resident right-wing members. The guys who are on about race war type stuff a lot.

Frankly all cattle farming disgusts me and I would rather see all of it gone, but the idea of halal/kosher butchery just presents wholly unnecessary additional suffering which has no place in the modern day.

My sort of other point was that throat-cutting was a controlled level of suffering, whereas the bolt-to-the-head system leads to a lot of still-conscious animals being sent down meat processing lines. And this is then swept under the rug because they claim to be doing it the proper way. That kind of extreme wouldn't happen with throat-cutting. Maybe there's a better way than both the brain-bolt or the throat-cutting. But the outcome of the brain-bolt in action often leads to far worse outcomes for suffering than the halal way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:04:42 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100928 on: April 20, 2016, 10:01:34 pm »

And yet there are plenty of experiments that show that brain waves continue far longer after the "modern" method than with the exsanguination method. I have yet to see a single study with both procedures properly executed that show anything else.
If that's the case, it's the fault of the abattoirs in question having poor machinery.
There is no reason modern technology would be less efficient than a knife. With proper equipment (and butchers willing/required to pay for it) there would be no contest.

Can you present evidence that the brain is actually destroyed?
Uh, I'm not sure where you got the idea that I worked in an abattoir. ???
I don't know what they do there, all I know is that the idea is for the brain to be destroyed by the bolt gun or whatever they're called.
Mind you methods could be different here to in the US, I don't know.

Why don't we try it on a human and ask them how painful it is?
While I'm all for giving humans a taste of their own medicine, whether it worked properly or not I doubt they'd live long enough to describe the experience. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #100929 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:52 pm »

Also on the topic of animal rights, I'm fairly anthropocentric and I acknowledge my empathic bias, but I am not in a position of power to cause a global conversion to vegetarianism, nor do I believe we have advanced enough in gastronomy to make it work.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100930 on: April 20, 2016, 10:05:35 pm »

o/

im pretty right wings.

'When you take out the nonsense, your're left with what's Right'

:p

but no, I dont recall having beef with muslims recenty. They don't have enough cookouts
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100931 on: April 20, 2016, 10:06:38 pm »

As I noted the last time this was suggested, Y, we actually do have the medical technology to survive a pretty extensive amount of exsanguination these days, especially if properly prepared for it. Chances of the test subject surviving are pretty high, with the proper setup.
Ask not!
Ask!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100932 on: April 20, 2016, 10:07:47 pm »

who would we test it on?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100933 on: April 20, 2016, 10:09:30 pm »

A volunteer proponent for the butchery method, of course.
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #100934 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:42 pm »

yoo gais

its bin lyk, a gazilyin paijs, plez to teh stahp?

PPE: good luck finding a volunteer, byraway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 6727 6728 [6729] 6730 6731 ... 11040