Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6723 6724 [6725] 6726 6727 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455919 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100860 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:48 am »

There is one germany but it's spit among 2 indigenous groups Ossi and Wessi germans.
Ossi are basically slavs that speak german, so eastern part of germany is obviously eastern Europe (But some argue that Poland and eastern Germany along with Slovakoczechia form "central europe" but that's just a placebo on their western europe envy.)

The other half is occupied by the more powerful Wessi tribe who mocks the Ossi at every opportunity and their part of germany is obviously in western europe.
Also their cars are easy to steal according to polish officials.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8988201/Cars-too-easy-to-steal-in-Germany-says-Polish-ambassador.html
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #100861 on: April 20, 2016, 06:45:36 am »

Quote from: Facebook ad
So... youīve completed your bachelorīs or masterīs degree in humanities, and now you are about to decide what to do next? Why not apply for a masterīs or doctoral studies program at the Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University? If you choose to study a program in Czech language, there is no tuition fee.
Surely this is the place for you! ;)

I kind of have to wonder... What would you even do as a foreigner with a doctorate in Czech?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100862 on: April 20, 2016, 06:58:33 am »

What is this? I have problems with people making baseless claims about throat cutting, and the responses are all "You probably don't care about these other bad things, do you?" Yes, I have big problems with the American meat industry. But I don't see people defending it often.

I've had it explained to me multiple times that deer meat tastes better if the animal dies slowly (though I hope that's an uncommon opinion). If you're committed to this "who cares if we're already killing them" thing, you are going to be defending people causing intentional, prolonged suffering to animals.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:01:02 am by penguinofhonor »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100863 on: April 20, 2016, 07:54:59 am »

What is this? I have problems with people making baseless claims about throat cutting, and the responses are all "You probably don't care about these other bad things, do you?" Yes, I have big problems with the American meat industry. But I don't see people defending it often.
No-one's really defending the American meat industry so much as defending kosher/halal slaughter as being reasonably humane. In Frumple's case I'm pretty sure he's arguing that if the animals are raised in shitty factory farms anyway then it doesn't make sense to argue for humane slaughter on its own.

I've had it explained to me multiple times that deer meat tastes better if the animal dies slowly (though I hope that's an uncommon opinion).
40% sure it's also categorically false. I know it's false for sheep/pigs, but maybe the acid does something nice for venison? I doubt it though. I also don't know any deer farmers I could ask.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100864 on: April 20, 2016, 08:25:53 am »

When is the dictionary going to change the definition of Entitled to "Possessing an opinion that doesn't match thy own"?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100865 on: April 20, 2016, 08:40:49 am »

what does the fact that you think the dictionary should say that make you

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100866 on: April 20, 2016, 08:46:58 am »

Neo, I'm sure urban dictionary has that, and if not, you can add it.  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100867 on: April 20, 2016, 09:21:37 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHjY9Pc0Nk

I have a feeling PETA hired those goons for sheep shearing and bought some sheep for those guys to suplex.
It's a win win.
PETA can make a video on how sheep are treated and making clothes out of wool is the ULTIMATE EVIL and some former convicts got to vent their frustrations.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:25:28 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100868 on: April 20, 2016, 09:26:58 am »

No-one's really defending the American meat industry so much as defending kosher/halal slaughter as being reasonably humane. In Frumple's case I'm pretty sure he's arguing that if the animals are raised in shitty factory farms anyway then it doesn't make sense to argue for humane slaughter on its own.

I wasn't saying that people were defending the American meat industry. Reelya seemed to have a problem with the idea that someone would criticize schechita without also criticizing the American meat industry, and I was justifying that by saying that generally people don't defend the latter so there's not a lot of internet arguing to do about it.

I should have been clearer about what I was responding to:
Which is exactly why I think the daily mail-style halal butchery outrage is hypocritical and racially motivated.

I mean, Daily Mail also has stories of the same or worse happening in both English and American non-halal slaughter-houses, but very few people jump up and down about those.

And yeah, I was misunderstanding Frumple's point a bit. I suppose caring solely about butchery is hypocritical, but... who has demonstrated that opinion? I wouldn't assume people who have mentioned butchery in one conversation only care about butchery. I know plenty of people who care about humane slaughter, and they all oppose factory farm conditions. In my experience people care more about the living conditions of the animal than how it's killed. I've certainly seen more media controversies about living conditions than slaughter practices.

40% sure it's also categorically false. I know it's false for sheep/pigs, but maybe the acid does something nice for venison? I doubt it though. I also don't know any deer farmers I could ask.

It's opinion, there's no false. In the case of the guy I know, it's a reasonably informed opinion, as he's eaten a lot of deer. I assume it's an uncommon preference, but if you're going to say the best argument for treating animals well is that you should strive to get quality meat, you've got to realize that those arguments motivate some people to be cruel. You can't just say their tastes are wrong. We live in a world where people eat cheese filled with live maggots, and it had to be banned because people could not be trusted to avoid it just out of nastiness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100869 on: April 20, 2016, 11:46:56 am »

But ... I didn't say anything about "people defending" it. What I said was that people ignore it. Ignoring something and defending something are completely different. What I said was that anyone who reads the Daily Mail and bashes halal butchery is probably racially motivated, because they're ignoring other stories in the same news source which point out the horrors of western butchery (specifically: live animals being "processed" on the conveyor belt due to not being stunned properly). If you ignore all butchery problems, it's not hypocritical. I only targeted people who claim to care, but only when they can blame another race/ethnicity for it. Those people are hypocrites because they don't really give a fuck about animals, or they would be up in arms about the regular abuse.

I wasn't saying that people were defending the American meat industry. Reelya seemed to have a problem with the idea that someone would criticize schechita without also criticizing the American meat industry, and I was justifying that by saying that generally people don't defend the latter so there's not a lot of internet arguing to do about it.

I think that's sort of the point however. If something isn't challenged, it doesn't need to be defended, so of course it wouldn't come up a lot in discussions. People rarely talk about schechita or western butchery horror stories. But they talk about halal all the time.

And yeah, I was misunderstanding Frumple's point a bit. I suppose caring solely about butchery is hypocritical, but... who has demonstrated that opinion? I wouldn't assume people who have mentioned butchery in one conversation only care about butchery. I know plenty of people who care about humane slaughter, and they all oppose factory farm conditions. In my experience people care more about the living conditions of the animal than how it's killed. I've certainly seen more media controversies about living conditions than slaughter practices.

We've had people bring up Halal slaughter as an issue on this forum, who couldn't give a single shit about animal's living conditions. Or, at least they made no reference to the living conditions and only bitch about how terrible halal is.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:14:42 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100870 on: April 20, 2016, 11:48:15 am »

In all fairness... I think people hate to be preached to.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100871 on: April 20, 2016, 12:12:59 pm »

I don't understand how you're saying people ignore these things while linking to news articles about them. I hear people condemning terrible factory farm conditions in America pretty regularly.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100872 on: April 20, 2016, 12:15:20 pm »

I had in mind certain posters on this forum. Who bring up how terrible halal slaughter is and have never once mentioned anything else related to animal welfare. I'm sure they're not the only ones out there. So I'm talking about the anti-halal people specifically, who suddenly discovered animal rights when they realized you could bash muslims with it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:17:47 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100873 on: April 20, 2016, 12:21:59 pm »

Well, that's just the most obvious use for animal rights, right?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100874 on: April 20, 2016, 12:24:20 pm »

Those damn muslims, having traditions and things.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 6723 6724 [6725] 6726 6727 ... 11040