Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6720 6721 [6722] 6723 6724 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460371 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100815 on: April 19, 2016, 11:18:52 am »

Anyway, point is, please stop ravaging the strawman.
Aaand you missed the point.
Animal sacrifices are a thing in Judaism.
And so is ritual slaughter in both islam and judaism that's basically about keeping the animal conscious as long as possible after slitting its throat so both religions advocate needless cruelty towards livestock.
The entire idea of a kosher kill is to cause minimum pain. It's a lot more fun less pain than the secular factory farming and abbatoir system, I believe. And Hajj sacrifices are, AFAIK, about making sure one knows what dies to put food on your plate, not prolonging the animal's pain. But maybe you're talking about a different ritual.

Or was this post ironic? I couldn't be arsed to reread the thread much.
One wheel short of a wagon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100816 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:34 am »

Anyway, point is, please stop ravaging the strawman.
Aaand you missed the point.
Animal sacrifices are a thing in Judaism.
And so is ritual slaughter in both islam and judaism that's basically about keeping the animal conscious as long as possible after slitting its throat so both religions advocate needless cruelty towards livestock.

Where are you getting your information?

That probably was the rational decision, though. Without further evidence of relationship between the cats, the cat hitting a rival is the best option in that scenario.

Or the cat went "That squirrel couldn't possibly have been stupid enough to do that. It must've been the other cat..."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100817 on: April 19, 2016, 11:51:43 am »

Ah yes, the classic mistake. Never underestimate the stupidity of squirrels.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100818 on: April 19, 2016, 12:07:10 pm »

He must've been emboldened by the way the cats weren't trying to murder him and everyone he ever loved.

Maybe he's a pet squirrel and grew up with the cats?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100819 on: April 19, 2016, 12:22:02 pm »

The entire idea of a kosher kill is to cause minimum pain. It's a lot more fun less pain than the secular factory farming and abbatoir system, I believe. And Hajj sacrifices are, AFAIK, about making sure one knows what dies to put food on your plate, not prolonging the animal's pain. But maybe you're talking about a different ritual.
If kosher is so good then why was it banned in most of the EU then?
http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/19151/proof-pain-leads-calls-ban-ritual-slaughter

Just claiming that it's painless is not enough.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100820 on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »

Is it banned by the EU?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #100821 on: April 19, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »

Is it banned by the EU?
Not EU wide, but a fair number of countries within the EU whole have banned (at least the non-stunning) part of it on an individual nation basis. The linked article mentions how some places have dealt with this requirement by using non-lethal stunning, thus allowing them to show that the animal was still alive but preventing the pain that the required method of death would cause.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100822 on: April 19, 2016, 01:25:38 pm »

Or the cat went "That squirrel couldn't possibly have been stupid enough to do that. It must've been the other cat..."
Could have been more a case of the squirrel being an unknown quantity, possibly dangerous and certainly more effort to dish out a good thwack to.
Man, cats (as well as other pets) are fun to observe. :)

Also yes, kosher and halal butchery is bad. Makes normal cattle farming look less bad, which is really saying something.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100823 on: April 19, 2016, 01:30:11 pm »

Dr Craig Johnson and his colleagues at New Zealand's Massey University reproduced the Jewish and Islamic methods of slaughter in calves. The calves were first anaesthetised so although their pain responses could be detected, they wouldn't actually feel anything. They were then subjected to a neck incision.

Was he even doing it correctly?!?

The procedure, which must be performed by a shochet (Hebrew: שוחט‎), involves severing the trachea, esophagus, carotid arteries, jugular veins and vagus nerve in a swift action using a special knife (see below) with an extremely sharp blade. This is done with the intention of causing a rapid drop in blood pressure in the brain and loss of consciousness, to render the animal insensitive to pain and to exsanguinate in a prompt and precise action.[4][5] The procedure may be performed with the animal either lying on its back (שחיטה מוונחת, shechita munachat) or standing (שחיטה מעומדת, shechita me'umedet).

To fulfill the basic law of shechita, the majority of both the trachea and esophagus (windpipe and food pipe) of a mammal, or the majority of either one of these in the case of birds, must be incised with a back and forth motion without violating one of the five major prohibited techniques (see below), or various other detailed rules.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100824 on: April 19, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »

So on tablet youtube, and I see an ad. From the icon in the corner it likely some mobile game of some lameness...But the ad is literally 20 seconds of Banished gameplay. No sound at all. No ad at all. Just a completely different game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100825 on: April 19, 2016, 06:13:09 pm »

listened to a recording of myself. man that is weird! its not an terrible voice but man is it jarring hearing yourself like others do. :o

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #100826 on: April 19, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »

Looking for decent T-shirt designs.

Holy shit some of these things I'm finding are cringy. And by some I mean a lot.
You should show us. Don't worry, we can take it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100827 on: April 19, 2016, 07:58:14 pm »

I've seen quite a few cringe-worthy T-shirt designs where I work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100828 on: April 19, 2016, 08:00:37 pm »

I just discovered that I had almost 4 and a half gigabytes of stuff in my recycle bin.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100829 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »

I just discovered that I had almost 4 and a half gigabytes of stuff in my recycle bin.
Don't do that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 6720 6721 [6722] 6723 6724 ... 11040