Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6713 6714 [6715] 6716 6717 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461805 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100710 on: April 17, 2016, 11:58:13 am »

I'd say the early episodes were a little weak, at least I didn't enjoy them that much, stopped watching actually the first time I tried to go though them, ended up skipping the first episode the next time I watched.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #100711 on: April 17, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »

My laptop was doing its best toaster impression, so I cracked it open and had a look at the fan. Nothing wrong. Reassemble, and it's all good. Huh. Guess maybe I jogged a connection or cleared out just enough dust (there wasn't much) or something.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100712 on: April 17, 2016, 12:05:19 pm »

First episode has one of the best moments of the show.  And set it as something of a parody.  And really fucked up rick is the best rick, and he wasnt nearly as strung out as in the first episode at any other point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4Sb_rnCqw

Forever and ever

pedit:   If you primarily liked the subversive qualities of the show then I understand not likely off-the-wagon Rick as much.  He became a much darker character later, much more cynical and critical of society.  But when he was completely drunk he wasnt pushing the subtle agendas that were later popped out.

But him, as an old drunk man with moderate to severe health issues and a jarred view of atuhority and society in general he was just as subversive, and without the overtones he later took on.  His character was weakened to make room for later giblets.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:12:46 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #100713 on: April 17, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »

Also, Kusanagi is very cyborg lady, she could be black if she wanted to. :v
For all I care she can be/stay tiny girl. In a group of near-all-non-asian actors it really doesn't even feel like worth complaining why Kusanagi is also non-asian compared to original.

But there are just better people for that role than Scarlet. Like for instance Emily Blunt. Her performance as gritty, no-nonsense soldier in Edge of Tomorrow is stellar and Sicario she played in is also highly praised (didn't see it yet). She has proven herself able to play tough roles. Scarlet in Avengers, yeah she's fine, maybe in Avengers 2 she's even better (again, didn't see that one) but I dunno man, Kusanagi and her just doesn't click with me. Then again, maybe I'm focused too much on movie versions of Kusanagi, GitS:SAC one on the other hand... hmmm, maybe I'm just too hard on SJ. *badum-tss*

Actual wtf:
I have a Uplay account.
That I don't remember making. Hm.
Related, Rainbow Six: Siege is fun and you should play it.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #100714 on: April 17, 2016, 04:06:40 pm »

Well, as a weak defense, we could say that given the director, producers and more or less all major actor (except Takeshi KItano, ALL HAIL) are non-asian, this doesn't feel as bad as casting non-asian actor in an asian movie and in asian role to boot... But yeah, this just feels weak.

I have hopes it won't be but dunno.

Bizarre "insert quote" took about 12 seconds to actually insert the quote.

Who is Takeshi Kitano playing? Batou? So we don't have to see the blinking?

Edit: Aramaki? Hm. Not sure about that one.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100715 on: April 17, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »

Who is Takeshi Kitano playing? Batou? So we don't have to see the blinking?
Arimaki.

Batou is cast as Pilou Asbæk, best known in the US for playing Eulon Greyjoy in Game Of Thrones.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100716 on: April 17, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »

I just learnt that there is something called Danger Music.
I'm just like.. ".... what"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:49:10 pm by Ultimuh »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100717 on: April 17, 2016, 04:59:29 pm »

Considering how most animes look like, I rarely see the characters as asians... you know, the eyes and so on.
Also, Kusanagi is very cyborg lady, she could be black if she wanted to. :v

Does e.g. Mio from K-On really look western because of the eyes? :-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't really think so. Usually large eyes in anime denote youth and naivety, not being Western. The Japanese stereotype of Americans is ... big noses, not big eyes. Japanese eyes really do have the same range of sizes as western eyes. Google Japanese women:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One video was pointing out how none of the characters look Japanese, but none of the characters the guy picked to illustrate the issue were intended to portray Japanese people. They included Rias Gremory (Highschool DxD), Sabre (Fate Stay Night), and Chi (Chobits). Two westerners and a robot. Chi is meant to be non-human, so perhaps her exotic appearance is meant to show that? He didn't actually manage to pick any characters who were unambiguously flesh-and-blood Japanese, which was quite an effort. Similar for early-90s anime, the three big shows were Dragon Ball, Ranma, and Sailor Moon. Goku and Ranma both have big eyes. But I'd say they clearly don't depict anyone Western. Vegeta is blond, but he's a villain from outer space. Sailor Moon is more western/disney looking (but nobody on Earth has eyes like that), but she's also depicting someone who had an unearthly origin.

Similar for hair colors to eyes. Lots of young Japanese dye their hair. And since their hair is black, this of course involves lightening their hair. This is no more intended to mimick westerners than Goths who dye their hair black want to be Asians. Additionally, a westerner who dyes their hair black made a conscious decision to choose that color, whereas a Japanese person who dyes their hair has much more limited choices as to what to do with it: they can basically only bleach it, rather than the Western range of choices. It's just a reality of wanting to change your hair color to stand out. So anime represents this. More uninhibited young characters are more likely to have non-standard hair colors (e.g. light brown) because this is common for young people in Japan. Google "kogals", a youth culture, and you'll see they're all Japanese, but very few have black hair. Anime which shows a range of natural hair colors is merely reflecting the cultural reality within Japanese youth culture, not trying to depict non-Japanese people.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:17:52 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100718 on: April 17, 2016, 05:14:54 pm »

As always look up how Anime depicts westerners BEFORE saying anime makes characters nook western.

Note her small nose for example.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100719 on: April 17, 2016, 05:15:05 pm »

vegeta's not blonde and is just as much of an alien as goku is

flies off into the abyss on nitpicks

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100720 on: April 17, 2016, 05:18:13 pm »

Ijust learnt that there is something called Danger Music.
I'm just like.. ".... what"

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100721 on: April 17, 2016, 05:19:12 pm »

vegeta's not blonde and is just as much of an alien as goku is

flies off into the abyss on nitpicks
Oh yeah right, only after they transform. I never did watch that show. Though the saiyan-hair is probably to denote their unearthly nature.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:27:12 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100722 on: April 17, 2016, 05:36:02 pm »

Holy crap that image has me in stitches.  *searches*
Guess I'm adding The Iron Giant to my watch list.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #100723 on: April 17, 2016, 05:56:09 pm »

I don't believe animu peoples are supposed to be nonjapanese either, Reelya, but I'm 145% certain those pictures are edited.
Love, scriver~

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100724 on: April 17, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »

I just assume animu people are animus. They're going to get put in whatever location the plot points out, so you might as well not pin them down as one group unless you're sure.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 6713 6714 [6715] 6716 6717 ... 11040