Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6711 6712 [6713] 6714 6715 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460882 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100680 on: April 16, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »

I think it's more a thing of people more bonded to dogs and cats than most other animals.  As they are more a companion or work animal than livestock.   Though boiling a cow or a pig alive would also be a pretty dick move.

EDIT @JoshuaFH Yea I see what happened.  There were two versions of Mario all-stars.  The origonal only had 4 games (up to mario 3).  That's the one I had.  A year later they released a new version that came prepackaged with the SNES.  It was Super Mario All-Stars + World.  That was likely the one you had.

Nintendo just ported the original which only had the 4.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:35:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100681 on: April 16, 2016, 06:35:12 pm »

I understand.  But is seeing an ear of pig, something fairly recognizable, as abhorent?  I saw some dried meat pics that reminded me of pigs.

In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in many parts of China,[3] Korea[4] and Vietnam,[5] parts of Thailand, Switzerland,[6] as well as parts of Europe, Americas, the African continent, such as Cameroon, Ghana and Liberia.

ohs?  I didnt realize swedes ate dong
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100682 on: April 16, 2016, 06:38:57 pm »

I understand.  But is seeing an ear of pig, something fairly recognizable, as abhorent?  I saw some dried meat pics that reminded me of pigs.

In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in many parts of China,[3] Korea[4] and Vietnam,[5] parts of Thailand, Switzerland,[6] as well as parts of Europe, Americas, the African continent, such as Cameroon, Ghana and Liberia.

I saw no mention of Sweden in that wikipedia snip... Switzerland is the last country i'd suspect of eating dog tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100683 on: April 16, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »

Oh yea people eat dog, and people eat cats.  I have no issue with that.  Especially If the animal is bred for that purpose.  I'm sure a lot of folks in india and other such places would find it abhorrent that we eat cows here.

It's the live boiling that bugs me.  I'm not a fan of live boiling of lobster either, but at least the people who do that claim they can't feel pain.  There is no claiming that with dogs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100684 on: April 16, 2016, 06:45:01 pm »

A slow death is also bad because it means the animal will be scared and that makes the meat tougher. Ritual aside, if you want a nice meal it's best to treat the animal nicely as well.

E: IIRC live-boiled lobster is a fair bit tastier than lobster that's killed first, although I can't cite that so I might be making it up
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:46:51 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100685 on: April 16, 2016, 06:47:20 pm »

I saw no mention of Sweden in that wikipedia snip... Switzerland is the last country i'd suspect of eating dog tho.
shhh.  I make a lot of easy mistakes, like accusing people of eating dongs, but this one makes me look American :v
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100686 on: April 16, 2016, 07:22:39 pm »

I was really confuzzled by another Nintendo product today: I saw that Super Mario All-Stars got re-released for the Wii, originally for the Super Nintendo! ... But the new release only has 4 of the 5 games that the original did, it excluded Super Mario World... Why Nintendo, first SMW can only be purchased for the NEW 3DSXL, and now it's removed from the strictly inferior Rerelease of your vastly technologically superior console? I don't get it. How much data is even on that disc anyway with those four NES games on there, 2mb?

I understand you have something against me Mr. Miyamoto, but please, look, I'm sorry I killed so many Yoshi's and Koopas. It was wrong of me, I realize that, I was a child at the time. It's been 20 years, can't you forgive already? Let bygones be bygones? Wait, don't walk away, hold up, come baaaack!
Allstars had super Mario world?  Forgive me if I'm mis-remembering since it was soooooo long ago, but I only remember it going up to Mario 3.  I had the origonal cartridge, and I recall only playing it for Mario 2 and lost levels.  Mario World is my favorite mario game by far.  I would think I'd be playing that on it if it had it.

It was rereleased with all four NES Mario Games + Super Mario World, it was my childhood babysitter during my latchkey youth so I distinctly remember. So we have the SNES Cartridge that has five games, and a Wii Disc that has 4.

You're thinking of Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World, while the Wii rerelease is the original Super Mario All Stars. Two completely different cartridges.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100687 on: April 16, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »

You know the (not really) funny thing? I sometimes hear comedians or journalists talk about Japanese people eating dogs, just bcoz they're Asians I guess, whereas Japanese are definitely not on the list of dog-eaters, and never have been.

There was also a British journalist who wrote a smug piece in which she mentioned that Geisha were prostitutes who had "tiny little feet". Of course, that's completely misunderstanding the history of Geisha, as well as mixing up Chinese foot binding with Japan (where nothing like that ever happened):

Interestingly, the original Geisha were male entertainers (musicians, dancer, etc) in the 18th century, and female Geisha came later, as a way to differentiate themselves from prostitution. The traditional Geisha system then developed with a long apprenticeship. If you got married, you had to retire. Considering the amount of time training the girls, it was not in the economic interests of the Geisha house if the girls get knocked up. Birth control wasn't a thing back them.

The term Geisha became tainted during the occupation of Japan after WWII. During the war, most of the women in Geisha were removed by the government to become factory workers and assist the war effort, so the Geisha apprenticeship system basically collapsed. After the war, regular prostitutes started selling their services to the American GI's as "Geisha Girls". These women of course had nothing to do with the Geisha tradition, but they cemented in Western consciousness that "Geisha = Prostitute".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:39:56 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100688 on: April 16, 2016, 08:17:28 pm »

I was really confuzzled by another Nintendo product today: I saw that Super Mario All-Stars got re-released for the Wii, originally for the Super Nintendo! ... But the new release only has 4 of the 5 games that the original did, it excluded Super Mario World... Why Nintendo, first SMW can only be purchased for the NEW 3DSXL, and now it's removed from the strictly inferior Rerelease of your vastly technologically superior console? I don't get it. How much data is even on that disc anyway with those four NES games on there, 2mb?

I understand you have something against me Mr. Miyamoto, but please, look, I'm sorry I killed so many Yoshi's and Koopas. It was wrong of me, I realize that, I was a child at the time. It's been 20 years, can't you forgive already? Let bygones be bygones? Wait, don't walk away, hold up, come baaaack!

My copy of Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES also does not have SMW. Most copies don't, in fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100689 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:00 pm »

Chickens pigs and cows get usually a quick death outside of some ritualistic practices used by Muslims and Jews.
While those dogs got the short end of the stick so to say.

From everything I've read, kosher slaughtering practices are, like, pretty humane. Quick, and the animal is supposed to die immediately. You can look it up on wikipedia. (I've never read anything about halal slaughtering practices, but... I'm not inclined to just assume you're correct)

(And if you meant something else, "ritualistic practices" is too non-specific to look up)

Edit:

Learned there's a live-action Ghost in the Shell movie coming out in a year. And Scarlett Johannson is playing Major Kusanagi. Whaaaaa?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:49:48 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100690 on: April 16, 2016, 11:08:18 pm »

Yeah, forecasts are that it's shit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100691 on: April 16, 2016, 11:13:28 pm »

On the subject of Ghost in the Shell, I actually watched (most of) one of those films the other night.
That's a WTF in itself.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #100693 on: April 17, 2016, 03:27:46 am »

Learned there's a live-action Ghost in the Shell movie coming out in a year.
Oh, didn't heard that before, this could be interesti--
Scarlett Johannson is playing Major Kusanagi
um
uh
uuuuh

It's not that I think SJ is a bad actor or anything, not at all.

But I really don't think she is the right choice in this case. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she has what it takes. But it feels she was just typecasted too hard as someone who's primary appeal is sexiness to play Kusanagi.

Not that I'm saying Kusanagi isn't sexy, just, you know, not boobs'n'tits'n'ass-in-your-face Scarlet-type of sexy, yeah?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100694 on: April 17, 2016, 03:37:38 am »

slides in
asian actors in an asian film
slides out
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 6711 6712 [6713] 6714 6715 ... 11040