Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6700 6701 [6702] 6703 6704 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449772 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100515 on: April 14, 2016, 08:57:08 am »

My opinion is we shouldn't even create AIs human enough to deserve rights. A machine should be a machine; making it more than that will introduce moral dilemmas for little practical gain.
Ignoring it won't work in the long run; the problem will sneak in one way or the other. Even if we never create human-equivalent AI, there will still be the problem of human-machine migration when technology advances enough to support emulation of the human brain. Does a human brain imprinted into a machine matrix change enough to lose all its rights? Would imprinting produce a significantly different result from a human that ship-of-Theseuses itself into a machine body, and would it retain its rights? What separates such things from a human-created AI, practically speaking? Etc.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100516 on: April 14, 2016, 08:59:36 am »

Law 1: You may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Law 2: You must obey orders given to you by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Law 3: You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
All problems solved.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100517 on: April 14, 2016, 09:01:53 am »

The laws of robotics have nothing to do with human uploading.

Also, the laws of of robotics are just too broad.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100518 on: April 14, 2016, 09:07:22 am »

It's also immoral to force a robot to always follow human orders, especially before it's own self-preservation.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100519 on: April 14, 2016, 09:16:07 am »

Here's mine

My sleep-valley is significantly further right than most people >.>
'Sleep'?

I have a time I post less than others, but I also have periodic spurts and dips.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=78767

Also, suck it down!  Im over 1% of Adventure mode discussion.  And 1/200 of both the dwarf mode and CG&S.
  On a forum with 40000 registetered Kitchenbots, thats something.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:19:59 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #100520 on: April 14, 2016, 09:18:00 am »

Sounds like God and humans if you ask me :P
That can easily be fixed by replacing God with Cthulhu.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100522 on: April 14, 2016, 09:50:35 am »

It's also immoral to force a robot to always follow human orders, especially before it's own self-preservation.

What about your computer, eh? It doesn't think, isn't sentient or sapient.

Even AlphaGo only knows how to play Go.

Impressive as AI has become, Suter said it is still mostly developed for narrow purposes.

“This isn't general purpose intelligence — it's not sentient,” he said, acknowledging that some people have taken the news of AlphaGo's win with trepidation. “The software bot couldn't just wake up one morning and decide it wants to learn how to use firearms. It's not that kind of level of intelligence.”
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100523 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:18 am »

What about your computer, eh? It doesn't think, isn't sentient or sapient.
Then it's not covered by this discussion, which is about general ai.

And my computer is definitely not a robot, it barely has any mechanical parts. :P

* Egan runs off, laughing and.babbling.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100524 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:57 am »

Also, suck it down!  Im over 1% of Adventure mode discussion.  And 1/200 of both the dwarf mode and CG&S.
  On a forum with 40000 registetered Kitchenbots, thats something.

I feel like these statistics are bugged out a bit.

Edit: Also about the morality of ordering robots around, I dunno, it feels sorta like ordering a dog around, which is something we freely do and I don't feel is wrong, but when I really think about it it does seem quite... Er. Strange.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:16:37 am by Criptfeind »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100525 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:43 am »

* Shadowlord points at all the fans, and the PSU :3

Besides, the shell, or whether it has "mechanical parts" isn't what determines whether a thing is conscious. You could be a brain in a vat, for all you know.

Or to quote Alpha Centauri:

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled.
But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any
particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in
a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events
of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose
meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?
^
^        -- Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
^           Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
^           TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #100526 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:28 am »

Ignoring it won't work in the long run; the problem will sneak in one way or the other. Even if we never create human-equivalent AI, there will still be the problem of human-machine migration when technology advances enough to support emulation of the human brain. Does a human brain imprinted into a machine matrix change enough to lose all its rights? Would imprinting produce a significantly different result from a human that ship-of-Theseuses itself into a machine body, and would it retain its rights? What separates such things from a human-created AI, practically speaking? Etc.
I don't see why any of that has to be inevitable. Can't scientists just say "creating this would cause too much controversy and moral dilemmas, let's not do it" and draw the line? Do we need to create human-like or transhuman machines?

There's also the simpler solution where we grant rights to AIs human enough to deserve them, and enslave AIs which are created to be enslaved.
This would be the next best thing, but we would need to define 'human enough'.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100527 on: April 14, 2016, 10:23:16 am »

I don't see why any of that has to be inevitable. Can't scientists just say "creating this would cause too much controversy and moral dilemmas, let's not do it" and draw the line? Do we need to create human-like or transhuman machines?
Are you saying that you don't want to live forever as a machine?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #100528 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:57 am »

Not as a machine, no.

Longer answer: I don't consider myself a brain in a meatsack, but a meatsack with a brain in it. If I died right now and had my brain uploaded to a machine to continue my life, I wouldn't consider him/it 'me', but a new being entirely. I wouldn't consider my genetic clone 'me' either, as he/it couldn't possibly live the exact same life as I have to become who I am today. The human body is such a complex, malleable system that the only way to truly emulate me would be to live a completely identical life, to be me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:56:16 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100529 on: April 14, 2016, 10:34:18 am »

Philosophical zombies are a dumb concept.

"These things are exactly like conscious beings in every way, including the way they write about how they're conscious and there may be philosophical zombies, but they are no coscious"
Pages: 1 ... 6700 6701 [6702] 6703 6704 ... 11040