Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6697 6698 [6699] 6700 6701 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14445576 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100470 on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:10 pm »

I have had many dogs die on me. Only one grandpa so far.
So I think that means more?
I'm not sure.

I eventually got to the point where if a dog died it meant I could use it as emotional leverage to get more computer time.
Except they never fell for it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100471 on: April 13, 2016, 03:17:18 pm »

People keep telling me "It's just a dog...." I knew that damn dog longer than a lot of my friends and he was loyal and nicer to me than a lot of people. Everybody's just like, "it's just a dog, get over it." He hasn't even been dead that long. I miss him and there's a big whole in my day where he was cause I used to do a lot of things with him and now that's just not gonna happen.
What kind of person would say something like that? That's awful. :(

Someone who has never actually cared about a dog, probably.

Yeah. Grief is something we feel when we lose any person we knew. When you live with an animal for a long time, regardless of their mental faculties or lack of common language, you still share experiences, get to know their quirks, likes and dislikes, and otherwise get to know them as a person.

I don't see any reason canine friends should be less deserving of grief or concern than human friends. IE forget whoever says that.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100472 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:09 pm »

Confusion over grief for the person and grief for the loss. People are more important than dogs generally, thus the loss of one is kinda-objectively worse, but there's no reason for the loss not to be more upsetting, as they're "worth" more to you.

Reminded of how easy our cat made her death on us... she managed to escape all the way to battersea dogs home via concerned elderly neighbours before dying there with my dad watching, while I was on a trip to France. A lot more convenient than living with an elderly and malodorant cat was, tbh. Still a bit upsetting, but less than it could have been.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100473 on: April 13, 2016, 03:33:44 pm »

People keep telling me "It's just a dog...." I knew that damn dog longer than a lot of my friends and he was loyal and nicer to me than a lot of people. Everybody's just like, "it's just a dog, get over it." He hasn't even been dead that long. I miss him and there's a big whole in my day where he was cause I used to do a lot of things with him and now that's just not gonna happen.
*hugs*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100474 on: April 13, 2016, 03:45:40 pm »

And honestly I could use a hot swappable drive port for exactly what Akylon mentions; the ability to plug in a drive, backup the computer, and then take the drive out and put it physically somewhere else so that if someone steals my computer or it explodes or something I don't lose both the computer and the data.

I have an enclosure for that, which provides all the functionality I need (who cares if the file transfer you do once in a while is a little slow) without all the problems of having a bare drive lying around. Failing that, I could easily just open up the case, connect two cables, and use the drive that way for a bit. Having a hot swap port just provides extra complexity without providing an iota of utility.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #100475 on: April 13, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

I have an enclosure for that, which provides all the functionality I need (who cares if the file transfer you do once in a while is a little slow) without all the problems of having a bare drive lying around. Failing that, I could easily just open up the case, connect two cables, and use the drive that way for a bit. Having a hot swap port just provides extra complexity without providing an iota of utility.
Sure if you've got an enclosure than that would work (and be preferable) to having one right in the case. I'd put it more in the "fancy wheel rims" type of category, something that really provides no serious benefit other than basic computer cred. That said really it's not like you're usually choosing your case for the functionality, you're picking it for what it looks like. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100476 on: April 13, 2016, 03:52:43 pm »

That said really it's not like you're usually choosing your case for the functionality, you're picking it for what it looks like. :P

You might be. All I care about is that it's big enough to fit any conceivable video card (for ease in future upgrading) and keep my PSU wires from blocking airflow, has a removable filter over the intakes (to make it easier to keep dust out), and can fit lots of fans and hard drives. Appearance is dead last on my "items of importance" lost.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100477 on: April 13, 2016, 04:03:33 pm »

You might be. All I care about is that it's big enough to fit any conceivable video card (for ease in future upgrading) and keep my PSU wires from blocking airflow, has a removable filter over the intakes (to make it easier to keep dust out), and can fit lots of fans and hard drives. Appearance is dead last on my "items of importance" lost.
Small rephrase: You pick a case first for what it can hold (including fan mount points), which cuts your case choices down from hundreds down to dozens. At that point pretty much all that's left to decide which one you get is what it looks like; since air filters are easy to mount on just about any case with a little bit of work.

Personally even after eliminating for all variables on my case that you've already listed such as space and airflow, I still had a bit over a dozen cases that were relatively similar in cost and fit all the space requirements. At that point the defining feature is what it looks like, and is the thing that you end up eventually "picking by". Honestly if you get down to the end and you don't have at least 3-4 different cases to choose from based pretty much solely on what they look like, than you either have very tight budget constrains or (no offense intended) you aren't willing to get hands-on enough by installing air filters/etc., IMO.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #100478 on: April 13, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »

If I wanted to put that kind of effort in, I'd machine the damn thing myself. I don't want to put in that kind of effort because I'm sick of having to.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100479 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:54 pm »

Another wonderful day at work, where I have to deal with severe incompetence, laziness, and even outright sabotage by my coworkers. I also had to share a car on the way home with a vaping asshole that seems to think e-cigs are completely harmless both firsthand and secondhand. I also noticed my stepdad has taped a sink strainer into the drain of the shower. Why he could possibly have thought done that for I have no idea except to collect everything that falls off us in the shower and... display it? I don't know. You can't exactly clean it if it's secured like that.

I don't know how I'm getting through each day now. I really don't.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #100480 on: April 13, 2016, 04:56:58 pm »

YouTube comments (which I shouldn't expect much from in the first place I know :P) on a vid about whether Fallout 4 synths/ other A.I. should have human rights/ be considered people.

Pretty much entire consensus was "wut lol u think toasters can be alive but dey not organic! DEY ARTIFICIAL CANT BE ALIVE" and that is literally what they wrote like as well.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100481 on: April 13, 2016, 05:00:47 pm »

I also noticed my stepdad has taped a sink strainer into the drain of the shower. Why he could possibly have thought done that for I have no idea except to collect everything that falls off us in the shower and... display it? I don't know. You can't exactly clean it if it's secured like that.
The idea is generally to catch hair that would normally go down the drain and slowly clog it over time so that then you can just grab it once a month or whatever and throw it in the trash (which is what you should do with hair like that; flushing it or similar just sends it back down the same pipes to help slowly clog them up). Since clogging hair is usually semi-long, you generally don't have to actually remove the sink strainer to grab the hair out of it, just grab the part of the hair that is showing and pull on that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100482 on: April 13, 2016, 05:02:14 pm »

YouTube comments (which I shouldn't expect much from in the first place I know :P) on a vid about whether Fallout 4 synths/ other A.I. should have human rights/ be considered people.

Pretty much entire consensus was "wut lol u think toasters can be alive but dey not organic! DEY ARTIFICIAL CANT BE ALIVE" and that is literally what they wrote like as well.
If you're gonig to bother to read youtube comments, for pete's sake read ones on videos that are less popular than fallout 4. You tend to get more legible ones that way, or at least less of them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100483 on: April 13, 2016, 08:02:27 pm »

Most of my Steam library is trying to update itself. Most don't even download anything, they just show up on the list of downloads.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #100484 on: April 13, 2016, 08:16:38 pm »

Most of my Steam library is trying to update itself. Most don't even download anything, they just show up on the list of downloads.

I was just about to post this exact same thing
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 6697 6698 [6699] 6700 6701 ... 11040