Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6669 6670 [6671] 6672 6673 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446133 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100050 on: April 05, 2016, 02:56:36 am »

I feel deeply guilty now, not knowing half of this and just using resize/crop despite always putting it in a png setting. :-[
* Tiruin scurries away to search up what lossless, compression, and other digital art media terms mean!
I've always been under the impression that compression makes it worse (though I've always had the setting to 9 [out of 10] while GIMPing)
In short there's basically two different types of compression, "lossless" (like .png files) and "lossy" (like .jpg files). Lossless compression only costs you time as you increase the compression level (mostly on the front end), while lossy costs you quality (in return for the ability to compress things much father than lossless can go). For a basic, extremely simplified example, consider the following string:
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbaaaaaaabbb"
A basic example of "lossless" compression would be something like "Whenever you have a repeated character, write the character and then the number of times it's repeated, up to 9 characters in a row". With such encoding we could potentially write the previous string like this:
"a9a9a1b6a7b3"
If we store our numbers in a separate file we could even then run it through the same rules again!
"aaabab","991673" -> "abab", "3111", "99167"
Now run it backwards through the steps and we can replace the numbers back with the duplicates to get right back to what we started with
"a3b1a1b1", "991673" -> "a9a9a1b6a7b3" -> "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbaaaaaaabbb"
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbaaaaaaabbb" - old
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbaaaaaaabbb" - new (same! :)))
However this method is definitely time consuming, since we've got to go through the string (possibly multiple times), each time asking what we can decompress one character at a time.
On the other hand a "lossy" compression rule would be something like "For every 7 characters just write it down as whichever one is the most common in that group". If we performed that we would get this:
"aaaaaaa|aaaaaaa|aaaaabb|bbbbaaa|aaaabbb" -> "aaaba"
It's definitely smaller than the best we could get with our "lossless" compression method, but if we try to convert it back...
"aaaba" -> "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbaaaaaaa"
Which is not the same as what we started with.
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbaaaaaaabbb" - old
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbaaaaaaa" - new (Not the same! :()
But replacing definitely goes faster, just plop down 7 of whatever was in the file the first time and you're good to go!

And there you have it! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #100051 on: April 05, 2016, 03:09:29 am »

Thanks a ton guys c: I now understand a lot more \o/

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100052 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:44 am »

I think jpg artifacts come from compressing too far, which changes the image visually and irreversibly

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100053 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:10 am »

Might have posted this before...  It has been approximately 8 years since my sister was in high school.  A time when she printed out reams worth of fanfic to read at school.  ... I've done some of that myself at high school, but not on that level.

We are still using the other side of those pages to print stuff.  We still have a nice supply.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #100054 on: April 05, 2016, 12:42:56 pm »

Easier to cut it than to grow it out!
@Caroline:What scrdest said.  And you can donate it too.
Don't listen to them, Caroline.
They're trying to deceive you.
Come to the long-haired side!
We have STYLISH MANES OF GLORY!

(it's been a couple pages of posts, but I just wanted to clarify: I meant that if you grow it and it doesn't work, you can always cut it, going the opposite way... not so much)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100055 on: April 05, 2016, 01:09:48 pm »

Wigs exist.
OR, I dunno, just wear a cat on your head or something.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100056 on: April 05, 2016, 01:30:59 pm »

At lunch in the cafeteria, I overheard someone having a conversation about how terrible the latest Mortal Kombat's story/cutscenes were.

It's Mortal Kombat. Do people really play it for the story?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100057 on: April 05, 2016, 01:32:40 pm »

A small bird flew into my face as I was walking across a walkway today. It was going rather fast but the small size meant no damage. I had to do a double take to confirm what actually happened. Luckily two guys saw it and started laughing their asses off, so that was confirmation enough :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100058 on: April 05, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »

At lunch in the cafeteria, I overheard someone having a conversation about how terrible the latest Mortal Kombat's story/cutscenes were.

From what little I played of the newest Mortal Kombat at a friend's place, the dialogue actually seemed quite cool!
But I don't think I played the actual story, this was just the little pre-match cutscenes that take place between characters.

A small bird flew into my face as I was walking across a walkway today. It was going rather fast but the small size meant no damage. I had to do a double take to confirm what actually happened. Luckily two guys saw it and started laughing their asses off, so that was confirmation enough :D
Ha, nice. Birds are weird.
I remember once, a couple of years ago, being chased up the road by a crazed crow that kept trying to swoop me. I have no idea what that was about, they usually aren't the kind of bird to swoop people. I don't even get swooped by magpies, usually! Maybe it didn't like my hair.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:35:53 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100059 on: April 05, 2016, 01:40:38 pm »

Maybe it thought you were a hawk!  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #100060 on: April 05, 2016, 01:43:11 pm »

Crows and ravens can apparently recognize faces. Maybe you antagonized it while drunk, and it remembered you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #100061 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:18 pm »

[Post attacked with chainsaw]

* Arx saves to text file for future explaining purposes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100062 on: April 05, 2016, 02:16:40 pm »

Job phone interview happened. HR lady calls recruiter back and he calls me. "That didn't go well.... Well, I shouldn't say that."

Basically I was told I was "too enthusiastic," and interrupted her....

I have clinical depression.

Clinical depression; too enthusiastic....

Didn't you watch Sesame Street? "One of these things just doesn't belong here!" There are some days I barely get out of bed. So basically she lied.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #100063 on: April 05, 2016, 02:54:06 pm »

me and my friends found that mortal kombat x is much more fun in the randomiser mode with all settings turned to max. youre not actually fighting anymore you're just falling through endless portals

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100064 on: April 05, 2016, 03:03:19 pm »

Saw Zootopia.

Beginning to wonder if Disney has surreptitiously transferred a great deal of Pixar employees into their own studio; it actually was quite good.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 6669 6670 [6671] 6672 6673 ... 11040