Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6660 6661 [6662] 6663 6664 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454813 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99915 on: April 03, 2016, 04:52:07 am »

^^I feel the same way.  Except with positional values because it allows for smoother movement and losing .000001 or whatever isn't going to mess anything up.  Even that could be done with integers.

I don't know either way about floats being random but they're imprecise and I don't need that in my life.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #99916 on: April 03, 2016, 05:22:18 am »

Guys really

I mean I'm usually very dumb when it comes to computers but I don't see how what Putnam said is confusing.

Basically he's saying that for some reasons, Metroid store float values backwards in the y dimension, like, for 12.455, it expresses it in the data as basically 455.12.

Well I mean not quite but that's the gist of it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99917 on: April 03, 2016, 06:49:03 am »

It doesn't sound too weird to me. I mean it's not a particularly intuitive decision, but I can't think of a reason not to do that either.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #99918 on: April 03, 2016, 07:43:59 am »

It doesn't sound too weird to me. I mean it's not a particularly intuitive decision, but I can't think of a reason not to do that either.
"Because it's unintuitive" is a pretty solid reason to not do something.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99919 on: April 03, 2016, 08:34:06 am »

Guys really

I mean I'm usually very dumb when it comes to computers but I don't see how what Putnam said is confusing.

Basically he's saying that for some reasons, Metroid store float values backwards in the y dimension, like, for 12.455, it expresses it in the data as basically 455.12.

Well I mean not quite but that's the gist of it.
I still don't know what the hell a float value is so I still don't really understand

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99920 on: April 03, 2016, 08:37:55 am »

You don't need to, it's a fixed point number. 16 bits after the decimal point and 16 before.

EDIT: Though I guess not decimal point. Whatever you'd call it.
EDIT2: Wikipedia says "radix point".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:42:09 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #99921 on: April 03, 2016, 10:28:00 am »

Why is Putnam digging through SMhack anyway? That sounds like the more interesting question.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99922 on: April 03, 2016, 11:26:40 am »

Maybe a little petty to boggle at it, but... still. Houseperson gets new cooking machine. First cook rump roast, turns out great! Second cook barbecued chicken, turns out the thing doesn't work as well with boned meat as it does with boneless. Inform houseperson, since they're the one that wants me to cook stuff in it: Get boneless next time, I say. Machine works better with boneless meat, I say.

Third thing brought to cook. Ribs.

Why.

It's not even that I don't like ribs,* it's, just. Nat. one on comprehension and/or memory roll? Food's food, but... seriously. That is basically the common meat antithesis of boneless.

*Though I don't. Biting into or scraping my teeth on bone is quite possibly my absolute least favorite eating experience, even beyond stuff that makes me throw up, and eating ribs without doing either is a complete motherfucker.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99923 on: April 03, 2016, 11:31:13 am »

I created a new Twitter account because I thought I might play around with the API. That never happened, so now I have an account with no tweets, no accounts followed, apparently no preferences at all.

For some reason, I always get "Popular in your network" emails when Donald Trump retweets something.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99924 on: April 03, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »

Why is Putnam digging through SMhack anyway? That sounds like the more interesting question.

I'm not digging through it, I'm writing it.

Anyway, this is by far my favorite shitpost. The song's not bad, but it's like the platonic ideal of weeaboo crap, so you can set it up with whatever and people are going to go "ugh" and legitimately enjoy it at the same time (see: GiIvasunner, god damn)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #99925 on: April 03, 2016, 02:14:00 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #99926 on: April 03, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »

I'm not digging through it, I'm writing it.
For some reason I thought super metroid would've already had something like that with all the shenanigans involved in its speedruns. You writing it is pretty interesting too!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99927 on: April 03, 2016, 04:42:59 pm »

Well, all of the memory structures were mapped out by Kejardon a handful of years ago (something like 10-15). SMHack is a high-level library for adjusting them in a human-readable manner, in nearly exactly the same way DFHack is one of those for Dwarf Fortress.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99928 on: April 03, 2016, 08:05:16 pm »

SPEED DEMON

ADMIN HE'S DOING IT SIDEWAYS

also i guess a high-level library not existing isn't too unusual? speedrunners aren't allowed to directly manipulate memory, so you only really care about what's next to eachother to look for stuff to overflow or w/e
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:07:49 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6660 6661 [6662] 6663 6664 ... 11040