Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6657 6658 [6659] 6660 6661 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454410 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #99870 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:42 am »

I suggested to my dad we watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.
He asked whether I was talking about the cartoon or the movie, and I answered that the cartoon, of course.
"Are you crazy? You're not a child anymore!"
...?

I tried to explain that just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it can onky be watched by children, but he seemed to ignore me.
Try better, in your explanation you already agreed with his premise that cartoons are exclusively for children

Whatever it is, it's crappy to want to share something you liked with someone else, only to be undermined by whatever preconception they had. Best thing for it is probably to seek out some folks who will share it with you, and who won't undermine you or make you feel crappy for liking the things you like.
If you can honestly be undermined by someone not having the same cartoon preferences as you, you should seek help, and not from insular groups
That shit is unhealthy

Clearly you must punish him with the bad movie.
Subjecting people to Shyamalan over petty shit is a war crime

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99871 on: April 02, 2016, 12:24:33 am »

to be fair, this is Carolines father, in a rather patriarchal country

though hopefully by now Caroline has learned not to give a shit about her fathers/parents thoughts or opinions, given the ample evidence of how shite they all are, but still
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99872 on: April 02, 2016, 12:30:24 am »

If you can honestly be undermined by someone not having the same cartoon preferences as you, you should seek help, and not from insular groups
That shit is unhealthy

Er, easy there tiger.

It's just nice to share things with people. If they turn you down, that's no big deal. If they don't just turn you down, but also take a dump on something you like, and insinuate that you're immature or weird or stupid or whatever else for liking it, that's undermining you, yeah? It's a (mild) personal attack.

It's about sharing something and being rejected. No one likes that; it feels crappy. That's why it's good to be conscious of who you're being open or sharing things with.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99873 on: April 02, 2016, 12:43:36 am »

to be fair, this is Carolines father, in a rather patriarchal country

though hopefully by now Caroline has learned not to give a shit about her fathers/parents thoughts or opinions, given the ample evidence of how shite they all are, but still
You should give a shit about their thoughts and opinions yet not let it rule you. Very easy to not play into two destructive extremes, one where such things as cartoon preference undermines ones' self, or the other where one totally cuts themself from their parents, reconstructing every action to be further proof of their shitty nature.
Someone once told me to not judge my parents til I was their age and it did me good, that's advice I'd give here. I didn't have to make his same regrets of judging his parents for situations out of their control or actions he wouldn't have done in their boots... Once he was their age.

Er, easy there tiger.
It's just nice to share things with people. If they turn you down, that's no big deal.
Yes it is, you can't demand the attention of everyone for things they don't care about just because it is nice for you.

If they don't just turn you down, but also take a dump on something you like, and insinuate that you're immature or weird or stupid or whatever else for liking it, that's undermining you, yeah? It's a (mild) personal attack.
No it's not because what looks like a dump to you is merely an expression of total disregard for something they hold no interest over. Much better to not just take everything personally, the (mild) brackets has me laffin. Talking about media preferences here between family
Molehills and mountains

It's about sharing something and being rejected. No one likes that; it feels crappy. That's why it's good to be conscious of who you're being open or sharing things with.
Yeah that sounds like the good foundations for neuroses. I don't see emotionally guarding yourself against everyone you speak to on any intimate level as in any way preferable to merely not placing the basis of your personal interactions, emotional health and raison d'ętre on the approval of others in what you share. This is not even comparable to rejection, that's just degrading

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99874 on: April 02, 2016, 12:45:14 am »

i'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't know what caroline's home life is like
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99875 on: April 02, 2016, 12:45:42 am »

"aren't shitposters those guys that made that kid shoot up a school"

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99876 on: April 02, 2016, 12:46:16 am »

Clearly you must punish him with the bad movie.
Subjecting people to Shyamalan over petty shit is a war crime

If they don't just turn you down, but also take a dump on something you like, and insinuate that you're immature or weird or stupid or whatever else for liking it, that's undermining you, yeah? It's a (mild) personal attack.

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE

Edit: This post is not a comment on Putnam's post. I just got cockblocked by the [NEW POST] alert three times in a row after writing the above.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:47:53 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99877 on: April 02, 2016, 12:50:39 am »

i'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't know what caroline's home life is like
Doubt any of us know, which is why if there's more to it help should be sought

"aren't shitposters those guys that made that kid shoot up a school"
If you get to the point where violent videogames and shitposters are raising your kids you need to reevaluate everything

Cos they were fucked from the start

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99878 on: April 02, 2016, 12:53:08 am »

i mean there's saying "i'm not interested in what you're interested in" and there's saying "i respect you less because you like that thing"

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99879 on: April 02, 2016, 12:54:00 am »

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 01:00:27 am by Solifuge »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99880 on: April 02, 2016, 01:09:37 am »

i mean there's saying "i'm not interested in what you're interested in" and there's saying "i respect you less because you like that thing"
True, both have the same reaction - yeah?
Like it seems this is just a small sign of some far deeper issues on which bay12 is poorly qualified to handle

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #99881 on: April 02, 2016, 01:13:57 am »

True, both have the same reaction - yeah?
Like it seems this is just a small sign of some far deeper issues on which bay12 is poorly qualified to handle
No, both have different meanings. This is less of a case of reframing the situation and more on differing comparisons for expression.

And I've no idea about the last sentence but...it seems like the train of thought is going into assuming and presuming hypothetical situations now o_O

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99882 on: April 02, 2016, 01:17:04 am »

No, both have different meanings.
Which is why I said true, not false
Don't double negative

And I've no idea about the last sentence but...it seems like the train of thought is going into assuming and presuming hypothetical situations now o_O
Have you not read any of the posts alluding to something worse going on

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99883 on: April 02, 2016, 01:17:54 am »

"Look, Soli, we're all Agent Smith, so why are we arguing?" - LW

Feel free to argue over this instead:

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/antarctica-at-risk-of-runaway-melting-20189

TL;DR: "If pollution continues to be released without being reined in, the modeling showed that high Antarctic air temperatures could lead to melting that would push up sea levels by dozens of feet during the centuries ahead. Warmer ocean waters would prevent a recovery for thousands of years after that, the scientists found."
"The breakdown that they discovered was not triggered when warming in the models was limited to levels similar to those called for under the Paris Agreement — something that Pollard described as potentially “good news.”"
"Although the Paris Agreement contained highly ambitious goals, individual countries have not come close to committing to action plans that would ensure that the goals are actually realized."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99884 on: April 02, 2016, 01:25:40 am »

"Look, Soli, we're all Agent Smith, so why are we arguing?" - LW
Agent Smith has very fruitful arguments with Agent Smith
Yet there is no point in Agent Smith trying to save face with Agent Smith
And lo, if Agent Smith strikes Agent Smith
He will be laughed at
Because he is hitting himself

Feel free to argue over this instead:
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/antarctica-at-risk-of-runaway-melting-20189
TL;DR: "If pollution continues to be released without being reined in, the modeling showed that high Antarctic air temperatures could lead to melting that would push up sea levels by dozens of feet during the centuries ahead. Warmer ocean waters would prevent a recovery for thousands of years after that, the scientists found."
"The breakdown that they discovered was not triggered when warming in the models was limited to levels similar to those called for under the Paris Agreement — something that Pollard described as potentially “good news.”"
"Although the Paris Agreement contained highly ambitious goals, individual countries have not come close to committing to action plans that would ensure that the goals are actually realized."
RIP Bangladesh, Venice and Florida

"With that warming, the flanks of Antarctica will start to melt drastically in about 50 to 100 years, and then it will start to kick in according to our model."
It's some forgotten future's problem
They're already toasty
Pages: 1 ... 6657 6658 [6659] 6660 6661 ... 11040